1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any good East Coast IPAs available on the West Coast?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerBeast, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Well after you established your first post of "NO", that pretty much opened up the forum to east coast brewed IPAs that aren't shipped out there. It was definitely opened up to these brews when he said perhaps trading is the way to go. Does he need to state Heady when the OP already mentions it in his next post and obviously knows about it...?

BeerBeast likes this.
  2. Saudereth

Saudereth Savant (300) Virginia Feb 21, 2013

Yup, that Heady Topper beer sure is low rated.

Kadonny and johnsonni like this.
  3. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (550) California Aug 13, 2011

True, yes. But we want more.

4. Since when is Vermont a coastal state?

Besides Vermont is its own vortex of awesomemess.

5. Saudereth

Saudereth Savant (300) Virginia Feb 21, 2013

I don't think you need a shoreline to be considered on the east coast. Every other state surrounding Vermont is considered east coast, gonna say Vermont is at least an honorary member of the east coast.

If you want states that touch water I'd put On the Wings of Armageddon or Bitter Valentine up against plenty of west coast IPAs.

6. BeerBeast

BeerBeast Savant (485) Florida Oct 9, 2012

Vermont (my birthplace!) does qualify for East Coast in the context of my original question, coastal or not, as does Pennsylvania and DC.

JArena13 and johnsonni like this.
  7. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

First, my post about being offended was more or less intended to be a joke.
    Second, my first post saying "no" basically meant that on the West Coast:
    Good East Coast IPAs are not available.
    Available East Coast IPAs are not good.

8. schwemjw

schwemjw Savant (250) Ohio Feb 1, 2011

head hunter is pretty wildly available in cincy. Love being able to have this beer regularly

BeerBeast likes this.
  9. Sometimes I take on the task of being the Fun Police...I know you were kidding

I was just saying, he actually posted exactly what the OP wanted to know, or at least what he would figure out that he would want to know after realizing he would have to trade for the good ones, as most of them don't leave the state they're brewed in. He was unintentionally ahead of the curve

10. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Get yourself some Maine Beer Co. Lunch!

11. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

That's ignorant.

12. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Go to Alpine when Bad Boy is on tap, pick up some fresh growlers, you will be able to get whatever you want.

BeerBeast likes this.
  13. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (645) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

You can get Hopslam in AZ from late January thru March. Two Hearted is year round. I know Bell's is not East Coast but it's east to me.

Smitty1988 likes this.
  14. BeerBeast

Speaking of Arizona, I have found 2 great locals IPAs here, Hop Shock and Hop Knot. Both are very good.

Smitty1988 likes this.
  15. If you are close to a Total Wine they may be selling Flying Fish Exit 16.

sfsean28 and BeerBeast like this.
  16. BeerBeast

Thanks!

17. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

You'll have to trade for better stuff.

Flower Power - ny
    Anything ipa from vt
    Surly - mn
    Head Hunter
    Zombie Dust - Chicago/ill
    Wings of Armegeddon - DC - va
    Gandi Bot - ct

Lots of good stuff fully as good or better than ca brews

BeerBeast likes this.
  18. Bells: Two Hearted Ale (IPA)
    Bells: Hopslam Ale (DIPA)
    Bells: The Oracle (DIPA) (distributor told me Larry wanted a West Coast IPA and this is it)

Dark Horse: Crooked Tree (IPA)
    Dark Horse: Double Crooked Tree (DIPA)

Founder's: Centennial IPA (IPA)

If you can trade for any of the above, go for it. There are quite a few others, but these are my favorites. Great Lakes Brewing Co. has a few too.

And yeah... The Great Lakes aren't East coast... but whatever. Until we have a definitive East Coast/West Coast/Great Lakes/Midwest/Plains/Gulf of Mexico list of IPA styles... I just stick to east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi for my American IPA Styles.

Cheers.

19. can't you get flying dog on the west coast? try Single Hop Citra IPA.

SnowFlowMfg likes this.
  20. I know :(
    I moved from DC to California and IPAs aren't the same out here. Everyone tastes very similar and lack the malt backbone I grew accustomed to. I want some East Coast style IPAS in California. Anyone have any suggestions?

21. nc41

I like Furious, I know it's from MN but it's insanely piney and bitter, other than that maybe Smuttynose if you want away from the grapefruit bombs.

22. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (520) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

Be sure to have your buddy pick you up a sixer of Brew Kettle White Rajah while he's in Cincy, too. It's stinkin' delicious.

23. We get flying dog but the single citra isn't among the ones available. :( Been hunting for that one to!

24. It has been on tap out here. I think there are bottles coming as well.

25. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (645) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

I'm surprised you like them so much. They are good beers but don't really compare to many of the IPA's coming out of California. The best IPA brewed in Arizona is from Dragoon Brewing in Tucson here. Have you had any access to their beers? There is some distro in Phoenix, but I'm not sure where you are getting your Arizona locals if you live in CA.

26. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

Yeah! And how dare you not know which beers get distributed to a state you don't live in.

GotWad629 likes this.
  27. I lived in San Francisco for a few months last year and drank Pliny all the time. When I came back East, the IPA's that helped ween me off the Pliny were Flower Power and Troegs Perpetual IPA. I don't think either of these are distributed out there so you may have to look to trade.

Also, Victory Hop Wallop is distributed in CA, but I found it was hard to get fresh bottles. When I drank it out West, it seemed to have faded. If you can get it within the first 60 days after bottling, it's a really good IPA.

BeerBeast likes this.
  28. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (350) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

I'd also recommend trading for Evolution Lot No6. Great stuff from a small not so well known brewery on the Eastern Shore of MD.

FlockOfMoose and sweetlouc like this.
  29. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (350) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

Also, Flying Dog Single Hop Citra is sold out in Cali. While the brewery overall is pretty "meh", Single Hop Citra is a solid East Coast IPA you can get.

Edit - Just saw this as not available 6 or so posts above...whoops.

30. If I read this right, you are saying Smutty is not a grapefruit bomb? If that is what you are saying, I couldn't disagree with you more. Smutty Finest Kind is the poster child for grapefruit bomb.......and it's freaking delicious.

31. nc41

I never thought of Smutty as a grapefruit bomb, I get more pine, very bitter, but a nice IPA too.

32. BeerBeast

Thanks, but nothin' with the word "white" in it for me! ^_^

33. VaTechHopHead

VaTechHopHead Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008

HA! This is the funniest post I've read all day! Thanks for the entertainment! Good IPAs from the East....too funny.

34. BeerBeast

I am in the Avondale area at the moment. I was surprised to like Hop Shock and Hop Bomb as much as I do. They are not clones of Cali IPAs, but both have an excellent hop profile and both have a unique flavor I enjoy. Not to mention, Hop Shock is easy to find in 6-packs at Fresh & Easy for 8.99. :p The one AZ beer I have tried and didn't like was Fretzy's Unfiltered Pale Ale. I will keep a look-out for Dragoon, but it seems pretty limited and only on tap. What other AZ IPA can you recommend that I can find in stores? And what stores should I visit? I found a bottle of Enjoy By at AJ's in Scottsdale on Sunday!

35. BeerBeast

Thanks! I have noticed Hop Wallop can be inconsistent, but when fresh it is excellent!

36. BeerBeast

Smuttynose (great name!) Finest Kind sounds right up my alley, thanks. My dad is in NH, I'm thinking maybe he can score me some of these recommended IPAs.

37. BeerBeast

Flying Dog Citra is/was a limited one-time issue, yeah? I don't think we'll be seeing that one out West!

38. BeerBeast

Dude, where did you find Flying Dog Citra on tap, somewhere in LA? Also, have you been to Whole Foods Arroyo in Pasadena? Arguably the best beer selection in SoCal.

39. Hard to find out of CT and RI, but Ganhdi-Bot is an amazing east coast IPA. Evolution Lot 3 is much less hyped and way better than DFH 60. Flying Dog makes some great Single Hop IPA's, Nelson and Citra in particular. Jai Alai is very good, there are plenty of good east coast IPA's. Anyone who think's otherwise has not had the right ones. Now finding them on the West Coast is an entirely different thing, trading is your only option.

FlockOfMoose and BeerBeast like this.
  40. FlockOfMoose

FlockOfMoose Initiate (0) Maryland Feb 10, 2013

I'll second this. I live about 30 min. from Evo and they make some quality brews. The Lot #6 will stand up with a lot of west coast DIPAs. The Lot #3 IPA is one of the best IPAs I've had as well, and I've had a LOT of IPAs. Heavy Seas' Loose Cannon out of Baltimore is a pretty solid IPA as well, nothing spectacular though. As far as national reach goes, though, you're mostly out of luck. Hop Wallop (as stated before) is about the closest you're going to get to a quality west-coast style IPA out of the east coast. Troegs Nugget Nectar, while not strictly an IPA, is a very high quality hoppy ale as well if you can get it out there.

Also, just because you can't find it on the west coast doesn't mean it doesn't exist - saying so makes you look like a pretty ignorant fool. ;) The west coast has just as much shitty, undrinkable swill as the east coast.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'll go on record as saying 95% of DFH's brews are overrated novelties that poorly represent the eastern shore craft beer scene.

BeerBeast likes this.