1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Any ideas on how to stop lame boxes from showing up? Lame BIF box list?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by readbaron, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2010 Indiana

Signups should include a BM to the coordinator:

- Link to posts containing your previous BIF hauls.
    - Link to a BIF thread you participated in where you had fun and didn't just post your haul.
    - How many BIFs are you currently in?
    - How many BIFs have you signed up for that haven't yet started?

Coordinator can take it from there.

Kelp, Mista, libbey and 7 others like this.
  2. readbaron

readbaron Initiate (0) May 12, 2010 Illinois

Wouldn't having a list make that a lot easier? To alleviate some of the logical concerns above, you could have a panel of three people who would all have to agree that a box was lame - and then have to send out two lame boxes to oficially be on the list. That way noobs wouldn't be unfairly punished for a good faith try, and you wouldn't punish somebody for simply having an unreasonable target.

3. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, it sucks to get a mediocre box, but I've also been spared from getting a truly awful box. I don't know if there's really anything you can do about it, BIF culture is typically one where you just "lump it" and move on. I don't really know if there's a good way to address this without ruining the nature of the transaction.

4. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Well, I think the ultimate solutions is to finally get a trader feedback system in place.

My only issue with a "bad BIFer" list is it is effectively a Bad Trader black ball. Who really wants to trade with a guy on a bad anything list? Rating BIFs (beyond the rules) is kind of like rating extras - we all have unspoken expectations, but it's unfair to really peg anybody to it.

All of that said, my opinion is starting to sway to your side after reading a few of these links. Those boxes aren't terrible, they're just not following the rules, which is really odd.

5. cbeer88

6. pschul4

pschul4 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois

I don't think its that they dont consider the "bad BIF-ers" a problem. It's just that its such a small percentage of the BIF-ing community that they know their next hundred boxes will be absolutely killer just like the ones they send out

cbeer88 likes this.
  7. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Namibia

8. CruisaC

CruisaC Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Ohio

Yet he continues to participate over and over in BIFs? Fool me once, shame on you......

Quick search reveals an issue of being spread a little thin?

9. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

I think this may be the case. It looks like he is participating in every single active BIF at the moment.

10. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2011 Colorado

Seriously, he is a scary dude. I would not trade nor fuck with him.

[​IMG]

11. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina

Send questionable boxes
    Receive great boxes

Wow, that is really shitty.

12. franklinn

franklinn Initiate (0) May 29, 2012 Vermont

Not the LNBA secret Santa bif, thankfully.

davey101 and robinsmv like this.
  13. buffs9

buffs9 Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2008 Colorado

Not sure this guy who keeps getting called out has a defense at this point, but I think it's tricky w/ new BIFers. I know my first box wasn't the best (def. met all the requirements) then I rec'd from jodan, who blew me up. At that point it clicked and my boxes have gotten considerably better, imo (maybe someone can dispute this?)

It's a tricky situation as it's easy to hit the minimums, which is what is actually req'd but the unwritten rules seem to be more along the lines of doubling or tripling what's req'd. Maybe more Noob BIFs to get peoples' feet wet and some monitoring of people who actually fall short of the minimums?
    I like BIFs and dig going over the top and seeing others do the same

but at the same time I can see people saying/thinking...
    "if you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair, why don't you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?"

sacrelicio, adamdd, Duff27 and 5 others like this.
  14. cbeer88

Agreed. I have less issue with his "box quality" (albeit a little weak), and much greater issue with just flat out not hitting the guidelines. The movie thing is mindblowing - I mean, movies cost less than beer nowadays, so it's not even a money issue.

The best thing he can do is prove himself with killer boxes in the remaining open BIF's.

(BTW, you send great boxes)

dblab33 likes this.
  15. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

Weird, my two previous BIF targets, one of whom was the target of the other in another BIF, posted one after the other in this thread in which I entered to say that I have received stellar boxes and boxes that were like, "Oh." I don't know if I've ever had a haul that was so lame that I'd actually say something about it, but I did receive a box this year with beers that I can get in my area. Rubs me the wrong way, but dems the breaks, and it comes back around to me frequently enough through other generous trade partners that I'm not losing any sleep over it. Repeat offenders? Vet them please, BIF organizers.

Cbeer88 and Buffs9, I hope my boxes to you guys weren't lame. I tried real hard!

16. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

That's generally how I feel. I typically go by the "send a box I'd like to receive" metric, and judging by the typical responses I get that works fine. But I also don't tend to go way overboard on ounce requirements. So I'd never be butthurt about "only" getting the minimum ounces, as long as those ounces were filled with high-quality beers.

My main problem in BIFs is that I tend to forget to put my name in there. I also often forget SWAG (I still owe at least two people SWAG, DON'T WORRY IT'S STILL COMING).

17. Pelican5

Pelican5 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2012 California

If the box meets the minimum requirements its "technically" sufficient. But the whole point of BIF's is to stoke someone out beyond the norm, so its a crap shoot. I sent an anonymous box out to a guy who got shorted in a BIF I was in to make up for the "technically" sufficient haul. Was one of the funner boxes to put together :slight_smile:

duceswild, Lordkrystic and match1112 like this.
  18. cbeer88

Your box rocked! See all the 'likes' on it:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/secret-halloween-hints-and-hauls.38516/page-4#post-554787

:slight_smile: That was a textbook 'nailing a BIF' box.

I feel bad that I said anything (vague as I was) now. I've done a lot of BIFs, and any that I've had any issue with seem to be from people who aren't even around anymore. (go figure!)

JebediahScooter likes this.
  19. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Zealot (599) May 15, 2011 New York

Ive been in a few and I think Im done with them. So far I would have rather had the boxes I sent then the boxes I received. One time the dude I sent a (IMO) great box to ended up being that Swuntly guy who ripped off a bunch of people. Another time a guy told me he was going to send a follow up box and never did. I'd rather just skip them, personally. I like the idea tho.

ASUBeer likes this.
  20. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2010 California

I've been let down in a lot of BIFs lately but don't want to call out anyone. I've learned my lesson that BIFs just aren't for me

MarkIntihar, huadog, ASUBeer and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.