1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any ideas on how to stop lame boxes from showing up? Lame BIF box list?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by readbaron, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

This. It's disturbing to see the rarity-only mentality creep into each and every BIF. Save the obsession-for-whales for the ISO:FT forum, general trading forum, and whale BIFs.

If you want your BIF to be all crazy boxes, state it up front and do your homework weeding out participants.
    jodan, huadog, brooklynbrews and 5 others like this.
  2. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I don't think Shogo was saying that guy wasn't at fault, just responding with general observations on BIFs as a whole.

3. Yeah I don't know the case in particular that everyone is talking about. Let me go read through.

pre-emptive- not meeting minimum requirements is totally lame.
  4. Also re-gifted a bottle at least once, which I think has always been a no-no in BIFs.
  5. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (595) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Just as an FYI to everyone reading this thread, the community (or in my case NJBeerNerd) came through with a fantastic 6 bottle shipper that was totally unsolicited (and really helped take the sting off of my box).

Not reaching some of the heights we target in BIF's is one thing, disregarding the requirements and sending out a box that doesn't come close to fitting into the theme / requirements clearly set out at sign up time is a totally different story.

One of the reasons some of the more well known BIF's (Secret Santa, Growling at the Moon, etc...) have transferred to Facebook is that there is a great deal more accountability when everyone knows everyone else. It helps prevent some of the lackluster / not meeting requirements boxes that are being discussed in this thread.

Cheers!
    ~Tony

6. Crazy how Facebook has replaced BA as the beer network of choice. I spend way more time on FB beer-smack-talkin' than I do on BA.
    phillybeer7779 and Good_Trader like this.
  7. Sadly, for us well meaning good folks, there is not FB since it seams to be a secret group or some such. No worries, I am sure there is plenty here I can do.
    StarRaptor likes this.
  8. I think people are being to greedy and ungrateful - thats what is ruining the BIF game.

Sure - if you clearly don't follow the rules of the BIF then yeah, thats an issue (unless justified ie. more beer instead of shirt, etc.). Though I think many people have adopted the mentality that they should be receiving whales and all wants. I find that my favorite part of participating in a BIF is getting beers I don't have regular access to (locals, etc.), putting together boxes that highlight your geographic area and favorites (i.e. great locals, etc), and hitting a few wants (more than a few if possible). I also enjoy trying to figure out who is sending to who, etc.

Obviously people are from different locations with different access, so there is obviously going to be a disparity in perceived value between boxes. Do your best - thats all.
    oteixeira likes this.
  9. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

yeah, I also don't care for people who are just "letdown" by boxes... we've dealt with that and surely will again... I for one am still happy to partake in BIF's... it's just cases like this particular one

like Gonzo stated above, it was such a disregard for even meeting minimums that it Mike (NJBeerNerd) to make it right for someone and it wasn't even his job to do so.. that's the type of BA's I like to associate with
  10. I hope Brendan will reply to this thread with some feedback because if all the earlier posts are true that is a shame. He was my target in this years Secret Santa BIF (still currently running). The minimum oz. is 144 oz. I sent him 3 boxes with just over 350oz. I hit numerous wants according to his profile. I would have been stoked to receive what I had sent as that is the whole idea, IMO. Candidly, it was a bit annoying that I had to ask him to post a picture of the haul as I was a Provisional shipper in this BIF. Hopefully, he was just busy with life. Anyways, never too late to get things back on track and crush your next target...
    pschul4, Auror, Pelican5 and 5 others like this.
  11. In response to this, if you look at his latest posts, I am pretty sure he is currently in 4-5 BIFs all at the same time. That would make anyone that was putting together good boxes pretty darn busy. That being said, the first thing I wanted to do when I opened my box was show everyone how great it was.

Orlando
  12. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

13. cfh64 likes this.
  14. cfh64

That's exactly what I was thinking. As far as our Secret Santa goes, I hope you're wrong but it wouldn't surprise me if you're not. If his box is "that" bad I'll be sending my own box out to the poor recipient.
    TWStandley and oteixeira like this.
  15. I actually already asked who the recipient was and there address, but was asked to wait until the box landed.
    cfh64 likes this.
  16. This has been interesting. Anybody know if dude is aware of this thread yet? I feel like somebody involved should send it to him if it already hasn't happened.
    oteixeira and cfh64 like this.
  17. cfh64

That's very generous of you but I agree with waiting. Based on what I've seen I don't have my hopes up but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what he sent.
    oteixeira likes this.
  18. According to this, he's the captain of Team Florida in the newest round of the Gang Bang too...
  19. cfh64

Lol, this just keeps getting better. I feel like we're on "Candid BA". I really hope he brings it for the Secret Santa.
    franklinn, Pelican5 and NJOssie like this.
  20. NJOssie

for the target I hope so... but until he speaks up and makes good on past BIF's.. I think my reputation of him will not change
    oteixeira and cfh64 like this.
  21. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

should be now.
    ncaudle, franklinn, Photekut and 5 others like this.
  22. NJOssie

well done sir
  23. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Why would he post anything? He clearly knows what beers are sought after and is choosing not to send them.
    Duff27 and ehammond1 like this.
  24. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

if possible, the organizers of these other BIFs he's involved in should take action and remove him before anyone else receives another one of these shit boxes. it's pretty clear he's doing this on purpose.
    cosmicevan, ASUBeer and pschul4 like this.
  25. iadler

iadler Savant (405) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

It's one thing to send a crappy box, but meet the requirements. It's another to send a crappy box and not even meet the requirements of the BIF.

It's not that time consuming to do a bit of research on your target (where they come from, what breweries they have access to, what styles they like, what they have been posting on the ISOs recently). If you participate in a BIF, put some effort in customizing a box for your target specifically rather than just throwing a bunch of random beer you don't want. Also, I always ask myself, would I be stoked receiving this box? If not, I don't send that shit and reconsider my box. End rant.
    Duff27, NJOssie, cfh64 and 1 other person like this.
  26. People are wising up, thankfully. He got kicked from the dueces wild BIF because of this thread. Thanks for the warning, all!
  27. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Nothing worse than a BIF box that appears to have no effort whatsoever put into it. There is a reason these are called "Beer It FORWARD's", and that seems to be getting lost on people more and more that participate in these.
    FishPondManager likes this.
  28. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

This thread has me excited to join my first BIF.
  29. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Sounds like whale entitlement.
  30. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

I heard someone had a few beers and decided to get all vigilante on that BiF.

No idea who though ;)
  31. Fortunately, that's a team BIF and he has some excellent teammates--I don't think I have personally dealt with any of them in the past, but I've seen what they can do. I'm sure they will at least make up for any shortfalls from him and hopefully they will also bring him up to speed on BIFs, even if it's a bit late in the game.

In general, there will always be a range of boxes in a BIF, and I think it's important to be a gracious recipient in addition to being a thoughtful sender. Sometimes as a sender you luck into a target whose wants list you can easily destroy, or you happen to have recently obtained some desirable beers right in their wheelhouse, and sometimes you find yourself with a target for whom you need to be a lot more creative, with a cellar and reviews/hads that make you drool (personally, my two best BIF experiences as sender each fell into one of those categories). It's important to be aware of this as a recipient and to recognize the thought and effort that went into a box rather than just considering its trading value. Again, if a box doesn't actually meet the requirements of the BIF (which I personally think merits an addition to the bad trader list), or if it's full old IPAs, beers in styles that the recipient hates or beers the recipient can grab off the shelf, then obviously thought and effort did not go into the box, and that's different. I hate to see terrible boxes, but I'd also hate to see newer folks scared off of BIFs by a concern that they won't be up to snuff no matter how hard they try.
  32. NJOssie

that has been taken care of... at least symbolically it sends a message... and as slaphappy stated, we are comfortable with his teammates and new captain, some real good BA's will handle accordingly
    Hands22 likes this.
  33. His latest activity shows he's read the thread. Whether he acknowledges it now is yet to be seen.
  34. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

I am starting to believe that his under performance in the BIF was intentional. If he has not come to this thread to comment/defend himself/or take responsibility he must know what he did was wrong. We all know he is aware of this thread.
  35. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

This x100. If you put thought into the box, your target will appreciate it. I know I would. And even without sending whales or hitting wants, you can tell when someone put in some thought to see what you like and try to find things to send. That's a lot different than running to the store to grab 150 oz of beer to meet the requirement, throwing it in a box, and sending it off. I've been lucky enough to get solid boxes in the few BIFs I've been in so far, and I'll continue to do them because I enjoy sending a good box just as much as receiving one. I can't speak to the sender in question, it's even possible he's sending to me in Secret Santa, but it seems like he's just putting out the minimum, if not less, just hoping to get better boxes in return.
    NJOssie and cfh64 like this.
  36. For everyone waiting to here my reply. I participate in these things because I truly enjoy craft beer. So much so, I quit a job to start working for a distributor. I have never sent a box out that I would be disappointed to receive. I have only been doing these things for 8 months or so. I unfortunately do not have hoards of big beers sitting around to include in these boxes. To speak about specifics I have rectified boxes in which I was informed I screwed up on. The movie BIF, that was my first non-noob bif. The sour/funk/ bif, I am in contact with the moderator and I unfortunately am having to trade to get bottles to send. I dont have the luxury of having access to amazing selections like the rest of you. I spend my hard earned money purchasing items to include in the boxes that I send out. I apologize to anyone that has been disappointed with what they have received from me. I will say that not one person has contacted me personally on this site regarding a box I have sent them. I get to find out their disappointment by reading this forum. I have no problem whatsoever addressing a situation that is brought to my attention. But I do have an issue with not saying anything to me about it, then publicly posting something that I had no idea was issue. I am a very reasonable and level headed individual. I understand that most of you have great beers to include and share with people across the country. I try to do the same thing. It is very hard to know what people have access to and what people dont. For example, yes The Bruery distributes to Florida. And it says that on every distribution site such as seekabrew and the google docs that are out there. However, my city is about 250 miles from the closest place that The Bruery distributes to. I do believe firmly in righting a wrong. If anyone has an issue with me or anything I have sent to think, I ask you contact me about it. I have every intention of fixing what I have done wrong. As far as replying to this thread. I had no idea this thread was even created until a BA friend alerted me about it. So again, I do apologize to anyone I have offended.
    2beerdogs, Hanzo, neobob187 and 18 others like this.
  37. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Sincere thanks for replying. I am not active in the BIF world so won't say anymore on it but as an outsider I appreciate you stating your case. Kudos for that!
  38. Absolutely man. I really dont want anybody to think I am some asshole trying to get a leg up. I do not want anybody to think I am a deadbeat. I do believe that every person I have traded with on my list would say that I sent exactly what I say I'm sending. I just want any issues folks have with me to be resolved. Any issues can certainly be worked out in a civil manner. Like I said above. I am a very reasonable person and I am not quick to speak. Yeah, I was shocked to see some of the things being said, and I want to make good on things that people have been let down on. So for anyone reading this, I intend on righting what has been done. Thanks for understanding.
  39. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

right on. thanks for clarifying.

that being said, there were some examples provided where you didn't even meet the minimum requirements. also this recent trade post definitely lists a bunch of great beers that just about anyone outside of FL would be pumped to get in a box. the one comment/suggestion i have for you or anyone thinking of signing up for a BIF where you don't have the "big beers" that the BIF requires or that you think would make someone happy, then abstain from getting involved in that BIF. there are plenty of NBOs that are looking just for locals or run your own BIF and set the requirements to ensure that you can send a killer box.
    2beerdogs, davey101, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  40. I appreciate the feedback. I will honestly make sure from this point on that anything I participate in will not fall in to any of the categories listed in this thread. I just hope there is an opporunity moving forward to ensure that.
    libbey, huadog, pschul4 and 2 others like this.