1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any ideas on how to stop lame boxes from showing up? Lame BIF box list?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by readbaron, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Let's at least keep the torches unlit and the pitchforks on the ground until Saturday. 2 days is plenty of time to ship to half the country, and for all we know the box is already well in transit. Given this thread, I'd also be surprised if Cuzco hasn't been in contact with him.

2. I don't participate in many BiFs, but always enjoyed them. Hate to see someone get hit with a bad/underwhelming box. Hopefully it will be made up for in some way.

3. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Mordor, You CRAZY!!!:p

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

If he misses the Christmas BIF deadline I take back what I have said in this thread and offer my services in the mob.

robinsmv and franklinn like this.
  5. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

If he doinks up another BIF I will fly down and piss on his rug. I mean at this point this dude better BIF like a BOSS.

robinsmv, Shilt, FTowne and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (320) California Feb 4, 2012

And he got a bomb of a box in the Secret Santa...

7. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I think that depends on how you define bomb. I could've easily sent that box, those all are/were shelf beers in CA (except the BCBS).

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine box that I think anyone on the east coast would be happy to get, but it's also not like "OMG BEST BOX EVAR". I think it would be pretty easy for Brandon's box to meet/surpass that one. I suppose everyone on BA will be watching...

franklinn likes this.
  8. Pelican5

Yep, thats why I didnt say "OMG BEST BOX EVER". Its a CA bomb. Solid selection of west coast beer and a great BIF box, I think anyone would be stoked to receive. Does a Secret Santa box need whales now to be considered a bomb... I think not.

Pretty easy for Brandon's box to meet/surpass... lol

cbeer88, pschul4 and DSlim71 like this.
  9. stupac2

Why is that lol? A dozen good Cigar City/Terrapin/etc beers to someone who hasn't had any, along with the requisite swag, would be a pretty much equivalent box. Throw in something special like Leon or Hunahpu's (again if the recipient hasn't had them) and you've surpassed it. This guy is perfectly capable of sending something better than he received, we'll see if he does.

10. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

The next bif should require you to mail some pre-modern weapon like a chairleg with nails sticking out. Something like the "Aggressively Passive-Aggressive Bif"

Auror, robinsmv, notjustgc and 3 others like this.
  11. Dont worry everybody...I have already shipped out.

cfh64, mcaulifww, cosmicevan and 3 others like this.
  12. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Thought we're all over 21 here, right? RIGHT?

MarkIntihar and ehammond1 like this.
  13. No disrespect bro, but say something in the thread. Not sure if you have been following it, but half the fun is telling people your boxes shipped, what direction they are going, when they are gonna land, why they need to re-enforce the porch, and to lift with their legs, or a fork lift.

14. I think this is a fairly silly response. When I put together his box I simply went and looked at his wants assuming those are the beers my target, Brendan, not me, would love to get for the BIF. Supplication was put in because I thought it went with Temptation (his want); Rueze was put in because it went wtih Fruet (his want); Hoptologist went in because it went with Simtra (his want); BCBS, both Doublewides, and Jack D'Or were all other wants of his. The Port Brewing and the Golden Road were all beers that he didn't have access to and I thought he might enjoy. Candidly, not to be petty on my end but a lot of time and thought went into putting together his box and they were definitely off-the-shelf brews but I don't necessarily feel that downgraded the box because the box was directed at a particular person's taste. just my $.02

pjl44, FEUO, penniwisdom and 13 others like this.
  15. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

I don't think he was really trying to degrade your box. Hell, as someone from NE I'd be PUMPED if someone dropped that one on my doorstep.

What he was saying was that with a bit of effort (the same amount of effort you put into yours, reading your target's wants and likes and thinking about what beers they will enjoy getting) Brendan could do the same. This is speaking to his "I don't have a huge cellar like the rest of you guys" comment.

You box is a great example of how someone can put together an exciting box without having to send whales. Just takes a bit of time, effort and thought.

davesway10, FTowne, nanobrew and 2 others like this.
  16. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Needless to say this thread and the numerous BM conversations he's had to manage regarding it (all with a level head), some slack is in order...that said you are totally spot on for making sure to not forget the gamesmanship that makes these kind of swaps so fun.

A lot of people might point to this thread as a reason to not participate in the future but seeing both that people can be called out on a mistake and that everyone is understanding when that person knocks home runs after makes me hopeful of joining one this next year.

Pitchforks down, beer glasses up!

oteixeira likes this.
  17. Yeah, you are probably right..I was just getting defensive!!!

oteixeira and franklinn like this.
  18. stupac2

Yeah, exactly this. I have no idea how anyone would read my comments any other way, since I specifically stated that it was a fine box. My point was just that it hadn't set the bar impossibly high for Brendan, and that if he's doing any kind of due diligence he should have sent a roughly equivalent box.

Pelican5, oteixeira and franklinn like this.
  19. Pelican5

Right on, didn't mean to bust balls. I was posting that haul to show he is getting nice boxes, should know what a nice box is and therefore should send guess what... a NICE BOX.

I was just saying that box was a nice example of a well thought out, solid CA selection of some pretty nice beer... A bomb, not a nuclear blast. :) Cheers buddy!

20. This would make a great BA branded tshirt.

21. Remember kids, BIF boxes are like Christmas shopping for your girlfriend (or wife... or both). Sure, you hope him/her buys you a sweet TV to mount on the bathroom wall, but the really important part is getting them something thoughtful enough that they'll have sex with you. But with BIFs there's no sex... except in the Gang Bang.

22. this really bears repeating. he took a lot of shit for disappointing boxes, but no one has really pointed the finger at the numerous people who failed to convey their disappointment to him. stalking the thread with "well, he BETTER step up this time *z-style finger snapping*" is understandable, but it's not giving him enough credit for being pretty mature in his response.

i distinctly remember jojomdma citing the constant piling-on he got as a reason for throwing his hands up and saying "fuck it" to the trading scene. let's not repeat those mistakes.

23. Pelican5

^this^ x10

crushedvol likes this.
  24. Don't trade beers with dumb folk or little kids.

25. MordorMongo

Agree, takes much more balls to face the lynch mob than to run from them.

cfh64 likes this.
  26. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

With a twist right out of an M. Night Shyamalan thriller, Brendan4532 ended up being my shipper in the Secret Santa BIF. He sent me a solid box of wants, favorites, new beers to try, and some pretty cool schwag. This is definitely a step back in the right direction. Here's the haul:

luwak, usofar, Hanzo and 26 others like this.
  27. Passed wrongs are never going to be corrected. the only hope is that future boxes are much improved (such as the santa bif box)

FTowne and DSlim71 like this.
  28. Time to give props, thats a hell of a box. Keep it up!

cosmicevan and FTowne like this.
  29. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

yeah, don't think he can undo the past wrongs but he can still try to make up for them as he's claiming he will... hope he doesn't trade or join any other BIF's until that's all been taken care of (not just the target boxes but those who've had to step up in his place)

he sent a good box in a BIF... I will certainly recognize that

cfh64 and match1112 like this.
  30. Bravo, Brendan! Now that's how you crush a target in a BIF! 9 wants or should wants, plentiful total # of OZ and everything else is either thoughtful or unique to your region!

DSlim71 likes this.
  31. Nice haul, dslim!

Little known fact: Brendan4532 got stiffed by someone in the TMTOBA 6 BIF/LIF I hosted. This person hasn't manned up or repsonded to BM's.

Unfortunately, 'Hmph' is being added to the Bad Trader list if Brendan doesn't receive a box by 1/1/13.

The fact that Brendan faced the mob and never mentioned getting shorted by Hmph, both speak to his character. I'm trading with Brendan now and will continue to do so. He's righting his wrongs, as he promised to do.

32. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I don't know what details are involved in a TMTOBA BIF/LIF or whatever, as I've never done one, but what is the expected box/requirements etc.? I know hmph had twins (boy his butt must hurt!) somewhat recently, and he's basically fallen off the face of the BA ever since, but I'd like to try to put together a box to send to make his end right.

33. Hey JP - another BA has stepped up to send a box. It does appear Hmph has gone MIA, but I imagine twins would do that to any new father. Thanks for offering to help out.

34. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

To further the putting of the pitchforks down, Brendan sent me a very nice box for the Nice Cans IV BIF! Over 300 ounces, all new ticks but Jai Alai and Madura ( but new can ticks!), and a Cigar City Big Sound! Very nice Intuition pint and snifter as well. Thanks Brendan! Cheers and Merry Christmas to all!

Bill

35. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (675) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Hey Folks-

Just wanted to let everyone know that Brendan4532 did send another 3 bottles to augment his original package.

I received:

Jester King Das Wunderkind
    Russian River Supplication
    3F Oude Gueuze (2012, 375ml)

Will still be involved in Sour Saison and Funk Round 4, but this situation has raised some interesting questions that I've never given much thought until recently.

NJOssie likes this.
  36. MordorMongo

Hmmm, well ok that's interesting I guess. I should stay out of this I think.

franklinn and NJOssie like this.
  37. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Interesting?
    Sounds like even the addition of these 3 bottles didn't make his haul meet the requirements of the BIF.

I say you should get involved. Speak up man!

38. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I always say this, but it deserves repetition;

The BIF organizer might not be aware that a potential applicant sent out lousy BIF boxes-- so if you see some one tht you think is sub-par, NOTIFY THE HOST! Do so even if you don't intend to be in the BIF.

I've excluded a few people because of tips I got from other users.

NJOssie, ehammond1, ASUBeer and 3 others like this.
  39. MordorMongo

As Libbey eluded to, it appears he sent out two beers he got in another BIF. I am not big into BIFs yet so was saying I should stay out of it for that reason, as I am not 100% versed in proper protocol. As an outsider I appreciate his effort to right a wrong but it seems that he just re-gifted a couple brews to save face. And honestly if I got called out I would have at least put some fucking EFFORT into it. Last thing.....I am not sure the way I understand it that even these three beers make the box right.

Ok, NOW I will stay out of it. ;)

And Brendan I defended you a bit before and was glad you were willing to take ownership of it, but please tell me you didn't re-send two beers and add another slightly above meh beer to "make it right".

Ok, now I will REALLY stay out of it.