1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Any ideas on how to stop lame boxes from showing up? Lame BIF box list?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by readbaron, Dec 14, 2012.

1. oteixeira

oteixeira Member

^ This is a rule I follow, no re-gifting, but the more I look, it seems to be an "unwritten" rule. That being said, no way was he getting at least one of those two beers in Florida.
  2. Pelican5

Pelican5 Member

wow...
    ASUBeer likes this.
  3. Auror

Auror Member

I can't get worked up over re-gifting in this case. We called him out and he had to find beers that satisfied the restrictive requirements of the specific BIF, sooner than later to save face. I'm fairly confident his primary failing in this case is joining the BIF in the first place, since it seems he didn't have or have access to the requisite beers. There's exactly one saison and two berliner-weisses in the South-Atlantic top 100, and none that has been bottled/distributed within the past few months. I don't know what kind of non-local distribution he has access to, but if he truly doesn't have a very deep cellar and can't find >4.0 sours and saisons off the shelf, I don't think he really had much choice than to re-gift. Look at it this way, he had to sacrifice enjoying some world class beers to try and make this right (deservedly so, of course).
  4. notjustgc

notjustgc Member

Regifting should not be a problem, especially if it means hitting some wants for your target.

Only exception would be IPAs that are already getting stale. Got a bunch of stanky old hoppy beers in an otherwise decent BIF box not too long ago. That sucked.
    cavedave likes this.
  5. lucas1801

lucas1801 Member

I think regifting is frowned upon as your sender typically put in some effort to find specific beers they believed you would enjoy based on wants or style preferences, etc.
    brees6221 likes this.
  6. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Member

http://beeradvocate.com/user/beers?ba=brendan4532&view=G

*tiny violin*
  7. NJOssie

NJOssie Member

heh.. I tried not to keep digging in on the dude.. but the truth of the matter is he's a repeat bad BIF'er... best thing he could have done was apologize and make good on past wrongs...

the excuses he gave were flawed and the excuses anyone else believes and points out are only further being exposed... I love the sense of community and I love a great redemption story... but you have to be quite gullible to have bought any of the excuses given
    StarRaptor, Shagtastic, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Member

That gots list of his contains a lot of great beers (at least the list does, who would be blamed, now, for doubting if he really has them?) that would have gotten a lot of forgiveness. My personal feeling is this is a guy looking to win trades, and come out ahead on BIF's, period. He has all the warning signs we learn to watch for. I personally will be dropping out of any BIF that includes him, and I don't care if that makes me look bad to do that.
    gpawned, StarRaptor, ASUBeer and 2 others like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Ok, can't defend the dude anymore. His gots list fucks my cellar list in the ass and doesn't even have the decency to give it a reacharound.

Sending out mediocre boxes when you have that ammo, unacceptable. Why send out his good stuff when he can just re-gift?
  10. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Member

I stayed out of it hoping that he'd make good and we could move on. This just pretty much proves what was thought about the guy. He wants to win his trades.

Hopefully BIF operators in the future will take notice and bar his entry.
    RochesterAaron likes this.
  11. Auror

Auror Member

12. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

I'm not going to defend the guy, but looking at his gots including the number of old-ass IPA's on there, I'm guessing he just adds everything he lands and doesn't actually keep his list updated. Point being, there's a good chance he doesn't actually have most of that list.

I don't think he needs to be blackballed from BIFs, but I do think he should stick to easier and more general ones for a while.
  13. NJOssie

NJOssie Member

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ft-ccb-leon-iso-crooked-stave-persica.56451/
  14. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Member

To shed some light on Brendan's behalf; he did BM me asking if it was cool if he could send a bottle of the Temptation I sent him in the BIF as he it was on his target's wants list. My response was that although I appreciated him reaching out seeking my opinion but that I felt it was his beer at that point and he could do whatever the hell he wants with it. Candidly, now that I see a few more of the beers I sent to him does kind of bum me out. Like this BIF should mean a bit more; it is a Secret Santa BIF afterall so spending the effort to hit someone's wants for them to turn around and re-gift isn't the greatest feedback to receive on the box I sent...But whatever, could be worse.
    Pelican5 likes this.
  15. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

So YOU put in effort, and he did not. That seems relevant to me.
    SirWilliam likes this.
  16. oteixeira

oteixeira Member

I thought you were staying out of it! :p
  17. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Fuck, you are right, my bad. Damnit....I was trying to be good too.
  18. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

gpawned, ncaudle, Pelican5 and 3 others like this.
  19. Levitation

Levitation Member

well, i tried. you're on your own brendan.
  20. brendan4532

brendan4532 Member

I was in contact with the moderator of this BIF before this thread even started about the box. I specifically asked the moderator if the beers I was sending would suffice as to make up for my previous box. He told me yes they would. I then sent an email to my target telling him I was sending a box of three beers and I specifically asked him if he wanted to know what they were so I could know that I was indeed making up for the ones in the box that werent a 4. He told me he trusted the judgement of the moderator. What else do I need to do here? It seems to me that I really cannot win here. All three beers I sent were rated 4 or higher. I sent these without having the chance to enjoy them myself. So I am not sure what other remedy everyone here is expecting.
  21. NJOssie

NJOssie Member

1. you can't win
    2. "suffice" is the reason why

you don't have the selflessness to makeup for the selfishness you've shown...
    Pelican5 and ASUBeer like this.
  22. brendan4532

brendan4532 Member

Really dude? How about you come up with a remedy for me then since you are the end all know all here. Repeat bad BIFer? There were two. I made the attempt to remedy this. I am not sure what else you are expecting here dude. Trust me, you did your best and I appreciate all your comments.
  23. NJOssie

NJOssie Member

why do I need to remedy your poor actions? want to know what I would have done? I would have felt bad on the first BIF and not made an excuse and sent a makeup box... I would not have been called out more than once if it was for truly being naive.... I would have made up by sending a killer box and not just trying to "suffice"... I would not have made a bunch of poor excuses instead of taking blame and truly trying to become a good BIF'er

at the end of the day, some people have and will give you the benefit of the doubt... others, myself included, need to see a lot more to change their opinions of you... plain and simple, a reputation on here is built by actions and patterns.... I can't make your reputation for you... I can simply tell you my opinion and hope that maybe you can do what it takes to change it... if you care at all... not that you have to or even should
    gpawned likes this.
  24. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Member

**completely shameless pat on my own back**

Twins require double-stepping up ;)

Brendan should be getting another box on Mon/Tues.
  25. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Member

I'm sorry for all the bad BIF's and bad BIF boxes that I have run or have sent. I hold my head down in shame.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  26. Brez07

Brez07 Member

Funny guy right here
  27. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Member

If I were you, I don't think I'd send this guy a box if he's still not making good on other trades.

Then again, I am all about getting the upper-hand in the deal.
  28. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Member

I'm damn near done with BIF's. I got two boxes in the Birthday BIF that were so bad, I sent one back to the sender, and drainpoured the entire contents of another. My birthday month was in November...and I still have an outstanding box.

Unless someone made a world class pitch to me, I doubt I participate in another BIF where I don't have an established trading relationship with each and every participant I stand to ship/receive beer to/from.

I have to admit, I've been on the receiving end of some of the most generous BIF'ers on this site...but I've also been shit upon more times than I have fingers.

I don't even care that I feel I send better boxes than I receive...I just get aggravated when it's painfully obvious the other person put no more thought into things other than which store's shelves they were going to "raid" to fill a box. Past date IPA's, stuff I get distribution of or is even brewed in my backyard, stuff in the styles I listed I hate...

Alas....greater tragedies in life.
  29. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Member

I would be happy to be the recepient of Brendan in a BIF....I've barely tried any of the beers he has access to, and sends out. That's what I'm in in for....I'm certainly not trying to "win" anything. Well that, and blowing the mind of whoever my recipient is.
  30. oteixeira

oteixeira Member

Problem is he wont send you the local beers he has access to, he will re-gift things he didn't want from previous boxes. Also, he wont meet the rules of the actual BIF, and thus, you wont even get the minimum you expected.

But you BIF with whomever you like.
  31. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Member

I also would like to toss something in for Hmph.
    MarkIntihar and libbey like this.
  32. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Member

EDIT:

Looks like this was the last time he was here (Friday, this thread) Hope he enjoys the beers :(
    Bad_Trader likes this.
  33. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Member

Smack talk here and you will loose your privileges for a week...month what ever
  34. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Member

I told you not to send that guy beer. I know a bad trader when I see one.
    MarkIntihar, ehammond1 and Jparkanzky like this.