Any Kiwi Rising sightings yet?

Discussion in 'New England' started by twizzard, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twizzard

twizzard Pooh-Bah (2,080) May 11, 2013 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

And what's the price per 4 pack?

2. NAPO

NAPO Zealot (703) Jan 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Won't hit distro until next week and it cost $5 for a 500ml bottle. Good price for a double.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  3. JacksAbbyBrewing

JacksAbbyBrewing Zealot (509) Jul 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Kiwi Rising is sold in single 500ml bottles and should retail for around $5. That being said it will not be hitting shelves in MA until next week and will not get out of state until the week of the 10th.

Justin42 and ILOVESTOUTS like this.
  4. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Looking forward to trying this, hope I can find it without going to two or three stores a day to see if it has come in.

5. twizzard

Pooh-Bah Trader

Last year they sold in 12 oz 4 packs....I prefer that over a 500.

6. Justin42

Justin42 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't think Kiwi Rising has ever been in 12 ounce bottles. Mass Rising has been for some time, but not Kiwi to my knowledge.

7. MooltiPass

MooltiPass Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 Connecticut

I only saw it in the 500mL size last year.

8. twizzard

Pooh-Bah Trader

My apologies.....Glad I didn't asshole out and argue. I just went back and looked at a couple of pictures from last year. 500's they were:slight_smile:

HuskyHawk likes this.
  9. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Mass rising = 4 packs
    kiwi rising = 500ml

why?

10. Justin42

Justin42 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm sure @JacksAbbyBrewing will respond, but my understanding from prior threads is that it's due to the high cost of packaging/bottles for a one-time run.

markdrinksbeer likes this.
  11. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

My guess is price palatability. A 4 pack around $15 turns more heads than a $5 larger format bottle. It's similar to brewers moving to a four pack to get to a certain price (typically $10-11) to avoid $16 6 packs sitting. The price per oz can be the same but there is a mental hurdle for many people once the price of certain format gets to a certain level.

There is also the money involved for getting the packaging for a once a year run. Why pay for a four pack holder and four times the lables etc when you don't have to?

There is also the chance they used 500ml bottles just to give people something to complain about.

#11 Rekrule, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    twizzard likes this.
  12. HuskyHawk

It doesn't matter why. What matters is that it is $2.50-$3 cheaper than any IPA from MBC in the same sized bottle, and is cheaper than the new Stoneface DIPA in the same sized bottle. It's more than Heady (which I think is self distributed), sure, but about the same as Hopulence from Wormtown. So against its competition in MA, it is priced well.

13. TWStandley

TWStandley Pooh-Bah (2,092) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Kiwi Rising is my favorite offering from Jack's. AWESOME beer. I'll be on the lookout for sure but it is usual not too hard to find.

Ken_P likes this.
  14. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

They said the reason they don't do 4pks for smaller runs is because of the cost/minimums for printing the carriers.

Because you can price singles at $0.30/oz., and 4x12oz at only $0.20/oz. Presumably they're limited by their hops supply, so if you can sell out at the higher price, why not?

15. BostonBrewRu

BostonBrewRu Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Putting them out in singles also allows people to sell the limited production to more people, 4 times more to be exact!

16. HuskyHawk

Talked to a store owner today (he had never heard of it). Called is disti while I was there and they get it Tuesday.

17. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Zealot (580) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Craft Beer Cellar Westford has plenty. $4.75 each.

slengteng likes this.
  18. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Only 2.8x due to the 500ml bottles. :wink:

Guzzle_McBrew and BostonBrewRu like this.
  19. PatriotsRule

PatriotsRule Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Went to the brewery the day after kiwi was released. This year's batch is headier as ever! The melt-in-your-mouth juicy kiwi hops taste is to die for, and the tap room staff there always makes for a great time. Got to tour the brewery too! Love jacks and everything they're doing, and the fridge full of kiwi makes me a very happy man. Kiwi is easily a top 5 all-time beer for me.

20. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

I got some Kiwi last evening at Yankee Sturbridge, and they definitely still had some on the shelf upon departure- how many I am unsure.

scotorum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.