1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any posters old enough to remember "Uncle Ben's Malt Liquor"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Out of boredom I googled "crappy beer", and found this. I say "old enough" because I don't think this beer lasted past the 70's but I can't really find any information on this. Anyone remember this or even got to try it?

The guy on the can slightly resembles John Goodman's character in The Big Lebowski, just with a much thicker beard. I can picture John Goodman getting wrecked off this beer and causing havoc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FUNKPhD likes this.
  2. What brewery is listed as the culprit? Do they brew on Shabbas?

jebsinger, luwak and LeRose like this.
  3. Canadian brewery IIRC - his story made the wire services in the US but I don't think the beer ever did.

Here's a chapter in a Canadian business book on his Uncle Ben's Brewery

4. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

I remember it, not from drinking but from beer can collecting in the 70's. It was a Canadian beer and real hard to find in the US, had heard because Ben tried to take on the big guys ( Molson and Labatt). The image was of the owner a Ben Ginter. It's actually a rare can to find.

5. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Thanks twas a good read.

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I tried it in bottles in California back in the 70s. Even back then, it didn't impress me.

Okay, probably not the Malt Liquor but the beer. Or not. I can't remember.

7. I opened this thread hoping it was brewed by the rice company using its own rice.

FosterJM likes this.
  8. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

You just wanted to tick it. Dont lie to the nice people of BA.

Cheers!

9. First thing I thought of was Uncle Jemima's Malt Liquor. When you want to get bit as quick as possible!