1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Any special precautions shipping growlers?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by InVinoVeritas, Feb 12, 2013.

1. I don't currently have any growlers trade lined up, however one of these days I'm surely going to. Do you guys do anything different shipping growlers as compared to shipping "normal" bottles? Any value in painters tapping the cap to keep in from backing off.

Thanks,
    Jason

JxExM likes this.
  2. I've done them a few different ways, depending on the growler style.

1. If it's a screw cap growler, ensure it's screwed on tight and tape the hell out of it. Electrical tape has always worked fine for me, but others might suggest some water resistant tape which would do well too.
    2. If it's a flip top growler, I like to use zip ties to ensure the metal clasp cannot budge or pop open.

After that, just bubble wrap/pack as normal. I also put the growlers inside some sort of trashbag/plastic bag before bubble wrapping them to help minimize any accidental leakage, should it occur.

velcrogrip and JxExM like this.
  3. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Agree with everything in the post above. Especially putting it into a bag. I'd hate to have a whole box confiscated just because the growler leaked a couple ounces out.

4. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

in case you don't already do it, definitely double box. I also like to add support to the box with the growler, such as folded card board, styrofoam, etc

maximum12 likes this.
  5. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

Don't u have to keep the growlers refrigerated once you get them or can you ship them without keeping them cold? I was under the assumption any growler should be kept cold the minute you get it. Is this not the norm? I was gonna post this as I want to get into growlers as well.

6. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

7. Seems a lot of brewers recommend keeping growlers cold, but this happens in bottles too and yet a number of us still ship, Heady Topper for one. What I've heard is a couple days isn't a big deal.

8. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

The insulation is worth it to me. I rode a whole day with one in the saddle bag of my bike and it was still about 40 degrees when we got to our camp site...

Craft Beer + Middle of Nowhere = Bliss

vurt likes this.
  9. ET678

ET678 Initiate (0) Florida Mar 10, 2013

Ask the brewer. My local place never has the beer warm so they say its fine to let it warm once the growler is filled.

10. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

I received a styro shipper (which was subsequently sent back out) where someone had broken enough of the styro to convert 4 bottle slots into a compartment for a 64oz screwtop/2l swingtop. I havent used spiritedshippers so I dont know if the customization aspect could apply to growlers as well, and I'm entirely comfortable converting more styro shippers this way, as that spot is mostly useless afterwards (you could probably bubble wrap and then wrap together some 12ozers, or include glassware/schwag i guess, but still less useful).

11. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Put growler in Empty Box, use entire can of spray-foam-insulation, put apology letter on top.

12. This is how I shipped two growlers using a 12 bottle shipper that was no longer useable for bottles.
    It was messy, and a pain in the ass, but they arrived safely.
    [​IMG]

GrumpyOldTroll likes this.