Any thoughts on Milk Stout as a style

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KStark, Feb 10, 2013.

1. In the past month I have tried two recently released Milk Stouts from BC brewers. First Ugly Sweater from 49th Parallel and then Phillips Leviathan Milk stout.

Before that I haven"t had a Milk Stout for many years so I can 't really compare them to a bench mark beer like I could with a Pale Ale or an Irish Stout. They where both ok, both had milk sugar (Lactose) as a sweetener both very mildly hopped and had roast and chocolate malt and a sweet finish.

Because I have no UK milk stouts for comparison is there a good American bench mark for this style? Has the North American Brewer reinvented Milk Stout as a new style and made it their own just like they did with Porter ? Is it just a meek uninteresting style that is not even on the radar of most craft beer drinkers?

So many questions!

Help!

2. I have been on a milk stout kick lately. Left Hand Nitro, Pipeworks Jones Dog and Hyper Dog, and River horse are just a few. Nice easy drinkers.

3. FozzieThaBurr

FozzieThaBurr Disciple (65) Feb 8, 2013

My girlfriend's favorite style. Terrapin's Moo-Hoo sets the standard for both of us, but it does have chocolate in it, too.

4. Love the Left Hand Nitro. Also, Terrapin Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout is a favorite.

5. Also on stout kick. Left Hand Nitro is a fave, Bell's Special Double Cream Stout is also enjoyable.

PackPride and Cbusssted like this.
  6. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/82

Left Hand, Duck-Rabbit have possibly the best (IMO). Widmer just came out with one again. I think the style has gotten a back seat in general. I use to see them all over. Not so much any more. They will be more prevelant in the winter months. I really like the style and wish more breweries made them. Even as a yearly release.

KevinGordon likes this.
  7. Mongo65

Mongo65 Aficionado (110) Minnesota Nov 11, 2012

Odells Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout is one of my recent big likes for this style of beer.

8. Whatever happened to mackeson xxx? That was a solid uk example and used to be readily available. Never see it anywhere anymore

9. sixerofelixir

sixerofelixir Savant (390) Ohio Oct 27, 2009

My favorite so far is 3F Moloko. Excellent beer.

SWChi, imduffman, Roger85 and 4 others like this.
  10. Left Hand Milk Stout and Moloko are my 2 favorites thus far. Need to try Bell's Double Cream too.

11. Is Dragon Stout a milk stout? I've enjoyed that and other sweet stouts but I'm not sure if they're genuine milk stouts.

12. slentz

slentz Savant (310) Pennsylvania Mar 20, 2010

Alewerks Cafe Royale.

russwbeck likes this.
  13. Zimm

Zimm Savant (490) New Jersey May 18, 2012

+1 for Left Hand Nitro!

14. IndyDad

IndyDad Champion (850) New York Jan 21, 2013

The Left Hand, both regular and Nitro, are fantastic! And the Moo Hoo - why did I only get one 4-pack???
    The Butternuts Moo Thunder is good too...

15. I second that.
    Downed a 4-pack in a night.

16. Left Hand is delicious. Lakewood also makes a fantastic imperial milk stout.

17. I really enjoy milk stouts. My favorite by far would have to be Very Mad Cow.

SWChi, ChicagoNick and fatboy91 like this.
  18. Add me to the Left Hand crowd---tasty

19. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

keegan's mother's milk and left hand nitro are both delish (taste the same to me)

BarRoomHero88 likes this.
  20. rdharrison

rdharrison Aspirant (25) Alabama Jan 31, 2013

Mackeson XXX, at least what's available in my local shop, is now brewed by Carib in Trinidad & Tobago. Had one about two weeks ago. Good stuff.

21. airforbes1

airforbes1 Savant (250) New York Oct 27, 2010

It's back! At least it's back where I live, the NYC metropolitan area. It's the version from the Carib Brewery in Trinidad & Tobago. I've never had the English version, so I can't compare the two, but I thought the Caribbean version was tasty.

22. If I had access to it, I'd have a few cases of Odell's Lugene, to go with the cases of Terrapin Moo Hoo.

23. AAG

AAG Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 29, 2012

24. Greatly enjoy Left Hand and Moloko, but can't get either in CA. Beachwood's Udder Love is one I've been enjoying recently.

25. My favorite milk stout is 3F's Moloko that may not be the bench mark you seek like Left Hand's Nitro may be, but along with Terrapin's Moo Hoo it is what the style I believe should taste like.

26. Bear1964

Bear1964 Savant (325) Nebraska Dec 12, 2012

Of course it should be seen as a STYLE in and of itself, and a tasty one at that!

27. Lefthand is amazing. I recommend sticking to the NOT nitro version, personally. Fuller flavor profile.

Rutager and Ispeakforthetrees like this.
  28. Three best I've ever had:
    Perennial Fantastic Voyage
    Williamsburg Alewerks Cafe Royale
    CCB Stranahan BBA Imperial Milk Porter

29. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Left hand both regular and nitro
    Sam Adams creme stout is surprisingly good also

kingofhop likes this.
  30. LouDogg114

LouDogg114 Savant (285) Georgia Jan 1, 2012

Terrapin moohoo of course and left hand. But don't sleep on Duck-rabbit milk stout. Definitely an upper tier brew for the style

KevinGordon likes this.
  31. Left hand nitro is top of the class for price . Double cream stout is a delight. Kind of a stretch but Southern tier does awesome what I would call "milkshake stouts".

32. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I love a milk stout because it allows me to drink a stout-style brew in high volume. For example, I'd never drink more than 2 Old Rasputin's or KBS's in a sitting, but I could get loaded off of Left Hand milk stout.

33. wd09601

wd09601 Aficionado (145) Maryland Jul 29, 2012

Loving the NITRO
    I can drink it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

34. They can be quite tasty, like Moloko and Very Mad Cow.

SWChi likes this.
  35. I will echo what others have said so far; the Left Hand Milk Stout (both regualar and Nitro), Terrapin Moo Hoo, FFF Moloko, and to a lesser degree the Butternuts Moo Thunder and Sam Adams Cream Stout are all great examples of the style.

My favorite though is the Duck Rabbit Milk Stout. Great stuff

36. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I really enjoy them, especially the one from Duck Rabbit. I wish more breweries would brew this style.

KevinGordon likes this.
  37. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (450) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

A wonderful style. Odell Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout is wonderful, as is Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout.

38. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I dig milk stout.

WHile there are better options, I think Nitro is a pretty good benckmark for the style

39. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

My thoughts are false advertising.

40. Great easy drinking style; lots of solid recommendations here.

Drank the first ever bottles of my homebrew tonight - you guessed it, a milk stout. Thrilled to death it came out great, looks beautiful, right on target stylistically.

mecummins likes this.