1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Any Updates on Beer/Ale Selection in Mississippi?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by GoblueMS, Jun 27, 2012.

1. July 1st is fast approaching. We will have access to the myriad of new beers available on the market. Knowing that the distributors will not carry everything, and that many breweries will try to sluff off their ordinary offerings into this new market, does anybody know what will be offered here (through the few distributors in place)?? Thanks!

2. I'd suggest checking the RYP Facebook page if you use facebook.

I'd also recommend this: http://msbeer.org/ - he has a facebook setup also so if you use facebook you can subscribe and get the news as he posts it.

3. Also, on Sunday, July 1st there will be celebration parties at Hal N Mals in Jackson and the Keg and Barrel in Hattiesburg. On Monday, July 2nd there is a beer event at Underground 119 in Jackson.

Should be a lot of Beer stuff going on all week. MS Craft Beer week is the last week of July I think (21st to 28th or something like that).

Hops and Habanas in Madison will be open on Sunday and should have some newly legal brews.

4. Thanks I appreciate the references of places to try, but I shy away from traveling 90+ miles (for either city) to consume, unless I am staying for the night. Living in the Meridian area makes for dull night life, so we do the best we can with our "carried in" product from my travels to adjacent states. I will probably create a list and take to a local retailer to see what his distributors will have access to. If you or anyone comes up with a list, I'd appreciate you sharing it! Thanks!

5. I can respect that. I'm debating what to do myself when it comes to these events in Jackson. It's roughly 90 miles for me as well.

Hops and Habanas is a store, however. Between Hops/Habanas, McDades, Kroger and Fresh Market -you ought to be able to find most of the beer available in MS in the Jackson metro. Not sure how the distance compares to Tuscaloosa.

You have no idea about dull. There is only one bar in my entire county and it only has Bud, Bud Light, Miller Light and Coor Light. No food, nothing else. Only 6 grocery stores or gas stations in the entire county have beer. Luckily one of them has some Lazy Mag, Abita and Yazoo. Meridian is a Metropolis compared to here :)

That msbeer.org blog has the most comprehensive list of beers that are verified to be coming to MS. The guy that runs it spends his time contacting breweries, distributors and retailers.

Cheers!

6. The following list are beers that Magnolia Beverage in Meridian plan on distributing after July 1st. I'm not sure how soon after the 1st that they'll be available though. Your best options for finding these beers in Meridian are the Last Chance Tobacco Shop (493 leaving North Hills area headed towards Bailey), Piggly Wiggly (North Hills), and the Winn Dixie on Hwy 39 near Hardees. The Brickhouse Bar and Grill does a good job of trying to get every beer that's available to them.

Abita Abbey Ale (coming soon!)
    Abita AndyGator (coming soon!)
    Abita Double Dog (coming soon!)
    Abita Jockamo I.P.A. (coming soon!)
    Henry Weinhard's Amber Ale (Coming Soon)
    Henry Weinhard's India Pale Ale (Coming Soon!)
    Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve (Coming Soon!)
    Lazy Magnolia Timber Beast Imperial Rye IPA (coming soon!)
    Sam Adams Double Bock (Comign Soon!)
    Sam Adams Imperial Stout (Coming Soon!)
    Sam Adams Imperial White (Coming Soon!)
    Sam Adams Wee Heavy (Coming Soon!)
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA (coming soon!)
    Mons Abbey Blonde (Coming Soon!)
    Mons Abbey Dubbel (Comign Soon!)
    Mons Abbey Witte (Coming Soon!)

Here is Magnolia Beverage's facebook page, check the "ABOUT" section for available beers and like the page for updates.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magnolia-Beverage-Company-Inc/297687999799?ref=ts

7. Update: It's very unlikely that anything will be in the stores Sunday, but the Timber Beast, Abita products, and Mons products should be available Monday at the Last Chance Tobacco store. The other beers should be available within the next two weeks or so. This information is coming straight from the horse's mouth btw.

8. Thanks Slate for the update. Being a hophead, here is my list of wants for the local scene (I do get these from my diverse cadre of vendors across several states--all BA reviewed, both ales and stores):
    1. Hop Rod Rye
    2. Hopslam
    3. Hop Wallop
    4. Torpedo
    5. Ruthless Rye
    6. Lenny's RIPA
    7. Smutty Nose Finest Kind
    8. Racer 5
    9. Two Hearted
    10. Centennial IPA
    11. Avery Maharaja
    12. Green Flash West Coast IPA
    13. Green Flash Palate Wrecker
    14. Stone Ruination
    15. Others which rotate in and out
    As you can see I keep a limited assortment of quality brew on hand here in Meridian ;) , but it is a start. Distributors please take note!!

9. We have similar taste, I drank a GF West Coast IPA earlier and I'm drinking a Two Hearted right now. My go-to beer store lately has been Corks and Tops in Tuscaloosa, it's only 90 miles away and the owner is really dedicated. Green Flash is supposed to start distributing in MS starting next year. The guy from Magnolia Beverage also said that they are working on getting brews from North Coast brewery, their Old Rasputin is one of my long time favorites.

TrappistJohnMD likes this.
  10. I was in Montgomery today and hit Derk's Filet and Vine--good store with decent selection, though a little pricey (that and Alabama tax). The best place I have found in AL so far is Highland Beverage in Birmingham. They have 52 taps on the wall, and have a large selection of bottles. Look 'em up and visit if you have a chance. The draft offering is about half of the price per volume versus bottles, and they have some real winners!

11. They should be able to get Old Rasputin, I am fairly sure that Capital City Bev in Jackson has confirmed that one.
    The Sierra Nevada stuff that's legal should all eventually end up here. I know they are bringing in Torpedo and Bigfoot pretty quickly. I look forward to being able to buy those in state. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the Southern and Northern Hemisphere brews.

Hop Head here as well. If you like the Ruthless Rye you should definitely keep an eye out for Lazy Mags Timberbeast. It's a Rye IPA.

Where's the good beer bar in Tuscaloosa? I'm going to a concert there in August.

12. I think the Alcove International Tavern would be your best bet even though I've never been there. I've heard good things about it though. My wife and kid are usually with me so we eat at the Mellow Mushroom. I love pizza and they have a really good beer list, both draft and bottles. Corks and Tops sells growlers ranging from 32 oz. to a gallon. I'm sure you could sneak a 32 oz growler into the concert...

13. Just got back from the Last Chance Tobacco Store, they have the following in stock:

Lazy Magnolia Timber Beast
    Abita Abbey Ale
    Abita AndyGator
    Abita Double Dog
    Abita Jockamo I.P.A.
    Abita SOS
    Mons Abbey Blonde
    Mons Abbey Dubbel
    Mons Abbey Witte

14. Hops and Habanas in Madison sold out of most of their first shipment in 30 minutes. They still had part of 1 shelf in 1 cooler of Abita (Andygator, Abbey Ale, SOS and 25th Anniv. Doubledog). The distributor brought them another shipment and it was gone before I got back after lunch (another reason my pitiful lunch at Mint was pitiful....service was slower than slow). They should have new stock tomorrow.

Beers should start popping up all over the state by the end of the week. Expect mostly brews by breweries already in the state. The MSBeer news blog reports that 124 new beers have been approved since the law was signed. Not sure how long it'll take that many to get on the shelves, however.

The kegs of Timberbeast ran out at the Keg and Barrel and at Hal and Mals this afternoon.

The good news is Timberbeast and Sue are tasty. :)

15. Tip of the iceberg, my friend--just the tip...........

16. I just bought the last of the Timber Beast at Last Chance in Meridian, but she thinks they will be getting a bunch more stuff soon. Abita stuff is going fast too.

17. Corks and Tops is my go-to store too. Michael is a great guy and very knowledgable.

18. Reports from all over the state are showing that they can't keep the newly legal beers on the shelves.

Good stuff.

19. Greetings! Are there any new additions to the shelves around your favorite stores?? It doesn't look like Magnolia Beverage has added any significant new offerings to their webpage. I will travel to Louisiana tomorrow through Wednesday, and will pick up a few Bear Republic and Moylan's items in Covington (Acquistapace's).

Are there any other beer distributors in MS who are delving into craft brew?? Thanks!

20. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

What a gem that place is!

21. Why stop at Moylans and Bear Republic? Pick up some Stone and Green Flash too!

22. Probably will. Ruination and GF Imperial IPA are nicely priced there. Just glad there is a store in the close region which carries many of my favorites. My ultimate destination stores in the SE region are Green's Beverages in Atlanta, Specs in Houston, and Central Market in DFW. All have large selections, and all will order special items and quantities for you!

23. Thur123

Thur123 Aficionado (225) Georgia Jun 7, 2009

I'm a BA from the Atlanta area moving to Gulfport/Biloxi. what i can expect down on the coast in Mississippi? any advice on common ipa's i could find would be great.

thanks

24. Lazy Magnolia's Timber Beast, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo, Napa Smith's Hopageddon, Widmer Brothers are readily available. It's probably only about an hour or so drive to Mobile and New Orleans too.

25. cvm4

cvm4 Savant (390) Mississippi Apr 27, 2011

Besides a few that T-JohnMD said, I haven't been excited about much and still travel to get my beer.

26. I just got back from a trip to the coast. Lazy Magnolia's Timber Beast, Yazoo Hop Project, and SN Torpedo will be the best IPAs that you can find. Lazy Magnolia also makes a Southern Hops'pitality IPA with a revamped recipe, but I've never had it. Lazy Magnolia's brewery isn't too far from Gulfport.

Crooked Letter Brewing (Ocean Springs, MS) and Lucky Town Brewing (Canton, MS) will begin distributing beer commercially within the next year, both are new breweries within the state.

27. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

What should I look for in Tupelo? I live about an hour away in Selmer TN.

28. J2L

J2L Aficionado (140) Oct 14, 2012

Anything in Southaven or close to Memphis? I'm in Memphis and continue to be disappointed with the beer selection there, especially when I have to go to two or three different places to get two or three different things (grocery store, convenience store, whole foods, and of course the one decent liquor store) just because no retailers feel the need to stock much with the stupid laws in place.

29. harperman69

It's not just that. Southwestern Beverages has been very uninvolved in getting product out or seeking good partnerships with great breweries. Hopefully that will change now that Hand Distributing (Budweiser) has bought them out. I was hoping Bounty Bev would enter the Memphis market.

30. J2L

J2L Aficionado (140) Oct 14, 2012

Didn't realize that Southwestern Bev was a problem. I was feeling pretty bad about selling out to the Bud distributor given AB-InBev's reputation for trying to force out craft brewers at the distributor level. Maybe not so?

31. harperman69

Visit Nashville and see what's available versus what you find in Memphis. The difference is embarrassing and that's all about the aggressiveness of the distributors. Southwestern was the only game in town. I won't be able to order anything until January first when Central Distributors in Jackson TN starts selling their portion from Hand.

32. I haven't been too impressed with the beer selection in Memphis. I did find Hop Wallop at a couple of places, but for $15-$16 a six pack!!! Highway robbery! You can get cases of that for $40 at Green's in Atlanta, but you have to be there. The assortment in ATL is much better. Good luck.

33. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

How close are you to Huntsville? The choice we have in Alabama is getting better every day...

34. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Had a Old Rasputin this weekend in MS. That's a terrific step in the right direction!

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  35. If a road trip is in your offing, you ought to try Highland Package in Birmingham. They are rapidly becoming a/the go-to destination in our near region.

36. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

Also Hop City. 1100+ beers including 60 draft to go.

37. Thanks Stuart for the info. I guess I am a creature of habit in only going to Highland, but I will try Hop City, seeing that they are very close to HP. LOVE the selection that has developed in AL. Perhaps MS will get there one day....

38. GoblueMS, there is a facebook group for craft beer drinkers in the Meridian area. It's nothing too official, just a loose collective of like-minded folks that share new beer releases, future beer related events, and general discussion of beer.

You're more than welcome to join if you're now already a member.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/craftbeersowashee/

39. Just ordered these from my retailer (who will order through Magnolia Beverage):

• Rogue Imperial India Pale Ale
    • HopLanta IPA
    • Lazy Magnolia Timber Beast Imperial Rye IPA
    • Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
    Really would like to add some of my other favorites to my local business. Is there another distributor who carries additional brands of IPA, or is Magnolia Beverage the only source? They really do not have the assortment of IPA that other distributors in other states have, yet!