1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anybody know about the release of Clown Shoes Luchador en Fuego?(barrel aged Chocolate Sumbrero)

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by unclejazz, Dec 30, 2012.

1. unclejazz

unclejazz Advocate (555) New York Oct 24, 2011

I am in Boston and hoped I would be able to find a bottle on the shelves here. Clown Shoes website mentioned its release in mid-December, but I guess that did not happen. Anyone see this or hear anything from the brewers. I really enjoyed Chocolate Sumbrero and would love I try a barrel-aged version of this.

2. I have not heard about this, but definitely excited to give it a try. Worth keeping an eye on the usual suspects, but doubt it will sell out too fast.

3. We are bottling it this week and it will be released sometime next week depending on how the bottling goes.

4. unclejazz

Thanks, Chocolate Sumbrero was fantastic. Can't wait I try it!

5. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

6. Posted on the FB page today:

Places to find Luchador in Mass:
    Dave's Fresh Pasta - Somerville
    Redstone Liquors - Stoneham
    Blanchards - W. Rox
    Blanchards - Allston
    Blanchards - JP
    Austin Liquors - Shrewsbury
    Paul's Liquors - Pittsfield
    Yankee Spirits - Sturbridge
    Merrimac Liquors - Merrimac
    Drum Hill Liquors - Chelmsford
    Bay State Foods - Boston
    Craft Beer Cellar - Belmont
    Julio's - Westboro
    Pemberton Farms - Cambridge
    Sav Mor - Medford
    Ralph's Derby Street - Hingham
    Wines and More - Mansfield
    Granite Package - Weymouth
    Bogie's - Beverly
    Marcorelle's - Ipswich
    Leary's - Newburyport
    Marty's - Newton
    Bermans - Lexington
    Andover Liquors - Andover
    Bison County - Waltham
    Sunset Grille - Allston
    Stoddard's - Boston

7. Blanchard's Allston has it, so I'm guessing that list is probably accurate. Probably around $12-$13 at most retail places.

8. Saw it @ Bison County during lunch today...to confirm above.

9. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

I'm willing to give this a try. The other barrel aged beer I've had from them, Porcine Unidragon, is outstanding.

10. Tried it the other night. You definitely get the bourbon in the smell, but I didn't get a lot of alcohol in the taste. Felt it was really good, and just a little bit of pepper heat stays with you.

Pretty much someone gave me a sample on Wednesday night and I went out and bought a bottle yesterday.

11. Wines n more in mansfield has it, but I had to ask because it was in the back room. Interested in trying it, I wasnt the biggest fan of Chocolate Sombrero but like all the other stouts and think the barrel could help it out.

12. benbking

benbking Savant (295) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

so since this didn't make it to the store I frequent, what say you all: is this worth trekking across the wrong side of the river for?

13. I am also interested in opinions given that it's going for $12 a bomber at my usually well priced local. It sounds appealing, but Clown Shoes has bit me in the ass before.

14. unclejazz

Shucks, I missed it when I went up to Boston before New Years. If anyone can pick me up a bottle or 2 I would be willin to trade for any good shelf stuff in NYC. Also, check out my gots, anyone interested in 2 LeF for 1 BCBCS + locals?

brooklynbrews likes this.
  15. Wines and more is such a joke. Just put everything out. It's bad enough the people hat work there get 75 percent of the limited releases to themselves.

16. Clown Shoes does stouts right .... and what they did with Porcine Unidragon was just retarded. I can't imagine this will be anything less that stellar. However, I don't know, I could be horribly wrong.

17. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Hadn't been a huge fan of their stouts until I had Porcine, which was delicious. Picked this new one up today at Julio's; $7 or $8 if I remember correctly

18. Baystate Food and Spirits is in Brookline and we have it priced at $11.95/bottle. We still have some angry beast too!
    Cheers!
    Drew

19. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

My apologies, confused that with another beer I bought. It was $13

20. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (400) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Julios has it $13.99. Got a bottle today.

21. benbking

I was just at Julio's, by a very unexpected coincidence. $12.99 a bottle. Grabbed two. Still kind of annoyed there's no place closer than Blanchards in Allston for me to get this. First world problems.

22. benbking

It's good, but I was expecting something else. Not sure what, but I won't be looking for more.

23. MVP09

I though this stuff was great. A bit thin but very tasty. Plenty bourbon good chocolate flavor and not too much heat from chipot pepper I will get another one

24. I was slightly underwhelmed with this beer at first, although my expectations were perhaps a tad too high (think BCBS)..

That said, I did buy a case if the stuff and after my third bomber, have to admit its a really nice beer that I definitely misjudged. Also, I've been into blending some of the better stouts I have lying around and i must say that it's absolutely phenomenal with founders RIS in the mix. The chili and bourbon of LeF works impeccably with the fuller body of the founders impy. It's like a velvet glove.

MGambleWWS likes this.
  25. MVP09

Both Choco Sam and LeF great beers got a bottle of each gonna sit on them till next year and see how they age