1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Anyone been to Kulminator in the last month?

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by PDX_dennis, Jul 17, 2013.

1. PDX_dennis

PDX_dennis Aficionado (155) Oregon Dec 28, 2012

I was at the Kulminator in Antwerp on June 8th, and found out that the long time proprietor (Dirk) was retiring in 2 days on June 10th. It sounded like he had suffered an injury and was not able to continue running the bar. The night I was there, he was limited to pulling bottles from their cellar, while his wife did a remarkable job of waiting on everyone in the bar. I talked with one of the locals, and he was genuinely concerned about the future of the Kulminator without Dirk.

So, has anyone been there in the last month? Is it still going strong? I hope so, as it was one of the highlights of my Belgian beer tour.

2. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Haha, that was a joke thing they did. They had a big "retirement" 65th birthday party with loads of people from the neighborhood around. I actually wrote an article about it in the Antwerp city newspaper. It's still there and most probably will be when you get back ;)

Brabander and kojevergas like this.
  3. PDX_dennis

PDX_dennis Aficionado (155) Oregon Dec 28, 2012

Ha! That was a good one. Happy to hear that the Kulminator lives on. Would love to read your newspaper article. Is it available online?

4. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

It's in Dutch :)

I could translate it at some point, probably will when I have the time/feel like it :)

5. Can you at least provide a link? I know Google translation is far from accurate, but I would like to get the gist of it.

6. I was just on my honeymoon in Belgium between July 5 and 17. Went to Kulminator twice. Amazing place!!! Definitely still open and running.

Mike