1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone brewing for MLK weekend?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by rundocrun, Jan 18, 2013.

1. rundocrun

rundocrun Savant (280) Iowa Oct 1, 2010

In honor of the great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his undying message of unity and equality, I am undertaking my first double brew day today:

1. Chocolate Stout
    2. Honker's Ale Clone

Think about it....

Fits kind of nicely with the whole unity idea, I think. Yes, I know, not exactly politically correct, but life is no fun if you take yourself or others too seriously.

What is everyone else planning for this weekend?
    TheMonkfish likes this.
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Robust Poter
  3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (510) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I will be bottling 2 sours, same batch of Blonde ale soured separately, one with blackberries and quite a bit of oak, the other on Mango w/ Falconers Flight, Calypso, and Galaxy dry hopped for a week now.

I will also be brewing 10 gallons of IPA w/ Mosaic, Simcoe, Chinook, and Cascade. Spilt fermentation, 1 on 1469 w/ Mosaic, Cascade, Calypso, Simcoe DH, the other I'm turning black on 1056 w/ heavy Simcoe and Chinook DH and a touch of Mosaic. First time using my new pump and whirlpool chiller.
    Thorpe429 likes this.
  4. I traditionally brew on MLK day. I'll probably do an insanely hoppy APA for an upcoming competition. Looking at 12F for a high temp on Monday, so it's likely to be a 5 gal batch in the kitchen.
  5. Got a giant pile of marking to do before exams. If I get a chance though I have a DIPA to u up last year's hops on the docket along with a dopplebock (that I wish to eis)
  6. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Boring 100% homegrown Cascade pale ale. I usually do this in October but have been slacking a bit.
  7. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (440) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

Racking a IPA(Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe) on to 2 ounces of Simcoe in the keg tomorrow. I have the terrible chore of trying to kick my Zombie Dust clone tonight:D.
  8. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

"I am dark and you are light.
    You are blind as a bat and I have sight."

:D

/SNL.
  9. Sparging the grains now for my sour using some ECY20 Bug County as the yeast/bacteria blend. Its going to be a late night. Will probably age this one for a year to a year and a half.

I will be brewing a table Brett Saison on Monday with some ECY03. Will probably age this one for about 5 or 6 months.

I could keg my Dry Stout with vanilla beans, the flavors still need to meld a little bit more.
  10. fstorey

fstorey Zealot (80) Connecticut Jan 19, 2013

White House Honey Porter for Inauguration weekend
  11. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Racking to 2ndary - Hallertau wheat over Walmart Peruvian raspberry
    Pouring - Amarillo pale, Elder Pliny IPA, Conn's RIPA, Finest Kinda IPA

---
    “Bad beer anywhere is a threat to beer everywhere.”
    - LBK
  12. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Other LBK quotes...
    “The time is always right to brew the right thing”

“The choice is not between extract and all-grain but between extract and excellence.”
    "Homebrew is the only force capable of transforming an enemy to a friend.”

“Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you brewing for others?”
  13. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Maibock for me. Also racking an English mild.
  14. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I am finally trying to rebrew the greatest beer I have ever had. I accidentally brewed this a few years ago.
    Double decocted (122F, 150F, mashout) Weizenbock with Dark Munich and Dark Wheat. OG 130, carmelizing the first runnings and fermenting with a slurry of WY3056.

I am currently conducting the sacc rest of the first decoction. One adjustment for this time is that I am adding Champagne yeast near the end of fermentation to try and get full attenuation. The last one finished at 40, I will be happy with 30 this time. I am also going to bottle condition with some fresh Champagen yeast after some bulk aging/cold crashing.

I am actually naming it this time. Obscenity- because I am taking the light delicate flavor of wheat malt and making a rich malty beer, thereby making an obscenity of the wheat. I will acutally make labels and wax these babies too.
    jlpred55 likes this.
  15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'm brewing my citra apa... again. More hops this time, and tossed in a little cascade to compliment the citra. Hope it turns out.
  16. Bottling a Fat Tire clone and brewing a Amarillo PA kit (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/amarillo-pale-ale.html). It's my third batch and I'm modifying by dry hopping in the secondary with 2 oz. of Amarillo.

Wondering if adding sugar to the brew will dry it out a bit and up the ABV a little?
  17. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

see above, a czech dark lager I am going to try...
  18. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

Getting my yeast starter going for my Cz/G hybrid Pilsner that I'll be brewing on Monday. The outdoor temperature will likely be in single digits when I get the mash going in the morning, so I'm naming it "Bitter Cold Pils".
  19. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Holy fokking OG 160:eek: . Good thing I was pitching from a washed slurry and had the extra yeast to spare.

Wort ran like mole asseso_O.
  20. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

just got done

Old Ale:

Gleneagles MO 48.8%
    Optic 24.4%
    Weyemans Munich 9L 9.8%
    Simpsons MO 55L 4.9%
    Special B 2.4%
    D-180 4.9%
    D-9 4.9%

Magnum 60 min 35 IBU
    EKG 30 & 15min 15 IBU's or so - these hops have been in the freezer

OG 1.093
    Mash 150-152*F 45 min , 158*F 20 min

2 hour boil

big starter
    2- 9097 from end of Oct
    1 WLP005
    2.5 min @ 1L/min - will hit again in 12 hours
    pitched at 58*F - letting it rise to 60*F for a bit.
  21. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I'm brewing 2 half batches tomorrow. A Saison and a Stout. Since it's the first time we're using a recipe and not a kit, I'm keeping it pretty simple ingredient-wise.
  22. Gilmango

Gilmango Savant (295) California Jul 17, 2007

Have my first ever Wit yeast batch ready to bottle so I'm thinking of making another batch to pitch on the dregs on Monday. My brewing is cramped by my new home's electric stove so this would be another partial mash batch till I get the propane tank for outdoor brewing. Could make a black wit for laughs but probably won't.
  23. MrOH

MrOH Savant (465) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Gonna finally use up the 4oz of nelson sauvin hops that have been in my freezer for the last 16 months in a pretty simple pale ale. Using kolsch yeast for the first time, should work well.
  24. corey0212

corey0212 Savant (330) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

Got 30 minutes left on the boil for a "historical" porter of sorts....not really based on anything specific...some Maris Otter, brown malt, black patent, and amber malt....generous additions of EKG and the Wyeast Old Ale blend with Brett. I've spent the majority of my brewday relighting the burner because it's blowing like stink around here. Suppose I ought to come up with some type of windscreen. Anyway, happy brewing folks!
  25. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

Going for a big weekend. Yesterday I did my house wheat pale ale with Citra and Amarillo.

Today I did 8 gallons of base sour blonde. Five gallons got the cake from my first set of sour batches, which starte with dregs from Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Girardin, Tilquin, Russian River, Lost Abbey, and Cascade. The other three gallons are sitting in metal trays (3 with one gallon each) and will sit overnight. Tomorrow morning I'll transfer one gallon all by itself to be 100% spontaneously fermented. One gallon will also get grown up dregs from the Allagash Coolship series. The third will get some grown up dregs from Hill Farmstead Flora batch 3.

Tomorrow I'm starting with 10 gallons of no boil Berliner Weisse. I'll also be doing a dark saison with black cardamom, lavender, and red wine-soaked oak cubes.

I've also been doing my chores, delabeling way too many bottles.
    ChrisPro likes this.
  26. Just now cleaning up from an oatmeal stout and an imperial red.
  27. "I Have a Cream Ale".:cool:
  28. ChrisPro

ChrisPro Savant (365) Illinois Oct 16, 2009

Sounds like a great effort to refill the pipeline. Anxious to see how these turn out!
  29. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

That's the plan, and I'll make sure to send some your way once everything is finished!
    ChrisPro likes this.
  30. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I brewed a dry stout on Sat. I made this for St.Paddy's day not MLK.
  31. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

Yep, 6 F when I started heating the mash liquor, and this was after 10 am. No wind (fingers crossed) and some sun coming through the inversion, so it actually isn't too bad outside.
  32. Don't have the day off, but Saturday we brewed 11 gallons of a (sort of) Kentucky Common, and yesterday I got the itch to brew again, so I made a 1 gallon batch of a red saison.

Also, side note, I was looking at all my bottled homebrew in the basement last night and realized I had quite a bit from over the past few years, but just haven't had the urge to drink any of it, as some of it is flat, some is overcarbed, some wasn't that great, etc etc...so I decided to open all the bottles and gently pour into a purged keg and see what it turns into. If it's good, awesome, if not, I have no problem dumping it. The bottles included beer from recipes for an imperial stout, a barley wine, a smoked porter, a smokey Scottish ale, a dark Irish ale, and a pine tree porter (1 bottle...thought I had drank all this). We'll see what it turns into...
    skivtjerry and utahbeerdude like this.
  33. Yesterday we did a BIAB all grain APA (Chinook and Cascade hops) at my house. Today we did a stove-top partial mash for an all-Chinook IPA at my friend's house.

Brew on!
  34. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Just put my fermentors in the closet for my pale ale, except I decided to add some dark Munich and make it an amber ale (or maybe straddling the border between styles). Mashed in in 5F weather but it got all the way up to 8F by the time I was done. It's just beginning to snow now so I timed it pretty well.