1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anyone Drink a CBS Lately?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by NickyDee21, Feb 6, 2013.

1. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Member

I've been hanging onto my second bottle of CBS for a while now, waiting for the next time I can make it home so I can enjoy it with a good friend who has never had it. Just wondering, anyone who has opened one recently, how has it held up? Any insight on what I should/could be expecting is appreciated.
  2. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Member

Recently I had it on tap on Black Friday but that was also the first time I had it so I have no fresh comparison but it was awesome.
  3. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Member

Maybe my bottle wasn't cellared properly but my experience was not too good. It had a really off flavor to it that I can't quite put my finger on. I had it on draft at the anniversary party a couple weeks prior and they were two drastically different experiences. Anyone else get the same?
  4. owen49

owen49 Member

I drank a bottle about a month ago. It was very, very good and (to the best of my memory) not appreciably different from the bottle I had about 6 months earlier. But not crazily better than KBS or similar more readily available beers.

I definitely did not pick up much maple syrup flavor in either bottle I had.
  5. 7ate9

7ate9 Member

Had one a month ago. Still not much maple. Coffee flavor was not as strong.( a good thing for me)
    Still tasting pretty alright.
  6. allouez86

allouez86 Member

Had it in October and it still remains the only time I've ever had it, and I thought it was very good. I could definitely tell it had age on it. Considering I haven't had it fresh, I'd say drink it between now and summer. Can't imagine it will be great much longer than that.
  7. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Member

Had a bottle about a month ago, tasted greet. Did a line-up of FIS,FBS,KBS and CBS and CBS came out on top.
  8. CerealKillerKP

CerealKillerKP Member

I had one recently as well. Compared to the fresh one I had, I much preferred aged. The coffee had faded which really let the bourbon and (to a slightly lesser extent) the maple come through. I'd say CBS is just starting to hit its peak.
  9. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Member

I drank a bottle the other day. Like all the bottles I've had after 2011, it had on off flavor to it, almost anise like. To me, it seems, this beer has a 1-2 month shelf life.
  10. sukwonee

sukwonee Member

here is my review from 10/26/2012:

A: No head. Just dark brown / black motor oil like body.

S: Smells like KBS but sweeter. Coffee, dark chocolate, brown sugar, and unlike what many say, I still get maple syrup note.

T: Delicious. Although I think I prefer KBS over this, CBS is basically smoother and sweeter KBS. Bitterness is there but it's balanced out by the syrupy sweetness. KBS is a sweet beer but compared to this, not so much. Bourbon, Coffee, dark chocolate, brown sugar, maple syrup/honey, tad bit of hoppy bitterness and alcohol notes towards the end.

M: Surprisingly, carbonation is there (unlike how it looks). Thick, syrupy, chewy.

O: This is definitely one of my top 10 beers, but I honestly slightly prefer KBS over this. Maybe I got lucky with my bottle, but maple aroma and taste was still there, although very subtle.

Serving type: bottle

10-26-2012 03:33:59 | More by sukwonee
    NickyDee21 likes this.
  11. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Member

This. This is why we put CBS over KBS at our sampling (4 of us). Some might prefer KBS's "rawness", but we much prefered the smoothness of CBS, mainly given by the maple barrels I imagine. So damn easy to drink. I usually nurse my KBS, the CBS however I had to force myself not to literally gulp down.
  12. da_bulls

da_bulls Member

Did you have it on tap at Uncle Mike's in Kenosha? I was there as well and was wondering if you happened to find out if it was a newer batch of CBS or an aged keg?
  13. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Member

"Generally people will say its drinking great if they have more bottles of it available for trade, its going downhill if they don't."

--Overlord paraphrased (2010)

True.
    harrymel likes this.
  14. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Member

Yeah I was there. I don't see how it could be a new keg, CBS is only gonna be a taproom release for as Founders put it the "foreseeable future" but I can't say for sure. I prolly coulda asked one of the bar tenders while I was there, guess I was too busy drinking lol