1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone else disappointed by this year's backwoods bastard?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jegross2, Nov 10, 2012.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Or Founders Breakfast Stout, for that matter? Found this year's KBS batch to be lesser than 2010 and 2011 too -- particularly with a little bit of age of it now. I feel like it's much more acidic than normal.

Curious if anyone thinks their expansion has anything to do with it.
    mattizmyname likes this.
  2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

Backwoods tastes the same as it always has. Anyone who believes otherwise probably has a bad memory or thinks every beer tastes different every year.

I have not had FBS after the first batch this year, which I have heard was the first batch on the new system. I did notice a slight lack of base malt, but I am not ready to start saying something is up without drinking more.

I think people are overreacting because unfortunately that is what beer geeks do best. Beer geeks know just enough to be dangerous but unfortunately they rarely seek out all required information to make an informed decisions.

Before we blame anything on the expansion lets be real. The new system went in this summer. This would not have had any impact on KBS or BB. New systems bring new challenges, if they have had any struggles they deserve the benefit of the doubt, they will dial it in.
  3. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (410) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

I actually find this year's Backwoods a little better out of the gate than last year's, but would say the KBS this year had a little less barrel character to it than I remembered. Haven't really found FBS to have changed much (if any). Diff'rent Strokes. Still all great beers, especially at their respective prices.
    gpawned likes this.
  4. emyers

emyers Savant (255) Illinois Jan 11, 2009

No. All 3 are just as good as I remember them.
    sullenbee and yeahnatenelson like this.
  5. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Same as it ever was...... Same as it ever was......
  6. tommyz

tommyz Savant (440) Michigan May 28, 2007

No..It was great..Just as the others were..
  7. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Nope, FBS was even better than I remembered it. The coffee was much more pronounce for me which has now changed my mind to that its on par with Wake n Bake instead of just below it. It does still lose the coffee flavor quicker though.
  8. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Agreed with all posters above, all are just as good as they were in the past. Your taste buds and pallat simply changes more than you think.
    raymo55 likes this.
  9. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

OK, I'll agree with the OP.

I've had a ton of the Bastard the last couple of years. Now, I've only had two bottles this year, so perhaps I had bad luck, but the Bastard I had was thinner & had less bourbon in it than previous years. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt (since I bought a few four packs) & keep drinking it (because I'm a martyr!), but I hope that's not what's in store for the rest of them. Certainly not bad, just not a Top Ten beer as in year's past.

And for the record, my "memory" is just fine. Not only that, but I do think most brewers are remarkably consistent in maintaining the taste of seasonal product year over year, but there are also brewers that - constantly or upon occasion - tweak recipes.

To be clear, I'm not saying that's the case here one bit. But to dismiss year-over-year variations across the board in one sweeping verbal tic is going over to the other extreme of the issue. Beers change.
    szmnnl99 and ajzy like this.
  10. vic21234

vic21234 Savant (255) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Tasted great as always for me.
  11. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

12. Kayn169

Kayn169 Aficionado (235) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

I have to agree as well. I have had 3 bottles, on Tap twice, so I don't think it is really a variation issue. I found it a little lacking on the barrel. Not as hot out the gate, and def less oak and vanilla from the barrel. Still and outstanding beer though, and it's scary how easy it goes down
  13. makdeco

makdeco Savant (295) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

clearly you like to whine a lot JEG :)
  14. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

FBS is definitely thinner this year (unless aging adds mouthfeel and coffee flavor). I didn't notice any KBS or Backoods differences
  15. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

No, it's the same as last years. I still have last year's bottles and it's the same. any differences are in people's heads
    steebo777 likes this.
  16. Kayn169

Kayn169 Aficionado (235) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

So your comparing a year old BWB against a fresh one, and because they taste the same now, that means they both taste the same fresh? Not saying you are wrong, but the line of reasoning is flawed. I also have some from last year, and do agree they taste pretty similar now, as the year old one has mellowed.
    gpawned likes this.
  17. maximum12

So a year-old bourbon barrel scotch ale taste the same as a fresh one?

I think you just debunked your own argument! :D
    gpawned likes this.
  18. jegross2

It's not that these latest batches, whatever the reason, have been "bad" -- just not up to par. I found BB to be thinner this year, the KBS to be more acidic and less balanced than either 2010 or 2011. The 2006 KBS we opened in August was much better than the 2012 was less than 6 months after release IMO
    gorby10826 and BeerMeFitz like this.
  19. stooge

stooge Savant (265) Michigan Feb 22, 2012

No problems here with BWB or FBS. No significant noticeable difference from last year for either of these as far as I can tell. Bottoms up!
  20. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

The first time I heard Stairway to Heaven it was awesome, the 1,000th time it was still good but seemed a little lacking in the "awe" department.

First world problems, etc.
  21. BreakingBad

no i mean I had it last year. did it this year. it's the same except the year one has mellowed and a little age quality
  22. BreakingBad

It's it's becoming less rare... your hipster taste buds don't agree..
  23. jegross2

Eh? Hipster is about the last thing on earth I am. Glad that I'm not the only one with this viewpoint, even if it is only being shared by a minority of folks
    BeerMeFitz and BreakingBad like this.
  24. BreakingBad

lolol just kidding man. maybe you had a bad batch but I think we can all agree that most of these claims that "last years batch of X was way better" are mostly in people's heads. I know big beers like dark lord and Darkness vary greatly from year to year but smaller beers taste change i attribute mostly to people's "palate" changing
    steebo777 likes this.
  25. jegross2

I think there is a lot more variation in year-to-year seasonal releases than some people are willing to give credit for. Hopslam absolutely tasted different last year than 2011, but I still loved it. I know a ton of my friends agree 2010/2011 KBS is better than the 2012 batch. BCS 2011 was better than 2012 IMO (but then again, with GI tinkering the ABV each of the past few years, you'd expect variation). Frankly, I dont care too much about batch variation in flavors unless things go awry. Thinner mouthfeel and more acidic flavors to be are things I'd prefer to avoid versus "this has moar/less honey," etc.
  26. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

jegross v breaking bad, my interest is piqued
  27. BreakingBad

lolol I like jegross and I conceded he does know a lot more than me when it comes to beer. We just differ on opinions in this one case.
  28. I remember really loving it last year... and really loving it this year as well. Perhaps it's a touch more bastard this year, and last years was a little more backwoods?
    nickapalooza86 and BreakingBad like this.
  29. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Now I completely disagree with you. We did a full 2005-2012 KBS vert last weekend and the previous batches were FAR beyond their prime and much worse than a 2012. 13 total people agreed all together on this.

I really think it is a BA fad now to say how current releases aren't as good as previous batches.
  30. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (200) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

this!!!!
    whodeyvols, dblab33 and BreakingBad like this.
  31. BreakingBad

I think we should have a separate site for people who always complain how last years was better. It could be called BAA (Beer Anti Advocate). It could be a place where people can constantly dis beers and rave about "the good old days" 5 years ago when no one knew about good beer but them. They could also post pictures of all the rare beer they want to hoard to themselves and even pictures of them drinking "whales" in front of others and not sharing a single drop!
    marcgo2 likes this.
  32. maximum12

Totally agree it's a fad.

But it's also a counter-fad to mock anyone who says any beer in existence is different than the previously year. Which is just as silly.

Whose fad wins? Cage match?
    BreakingBad likes this.
  33. About a week ago I had a BCS at a friends house. Wednesday I had my first BB from this year and I thought that it might be a bit weaker this year. After having a second one today I remember how it really good BB was in the past. Overall I think I had a very heavy bourbon beer behind it and that is where my taste was.
    BreakingBad likes this.
  34. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

THANK YOU!!! Christ all Friday....why is anyone interested in doing a KBS vertical anyway!?
    Mark000, jbck109 and BreakingBad like this.
  35. BreakingBad

cannot like this enough
  36. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

I'm disappointed in the fact I was never even able to find any, and have never gotten to try any vintage.

But, I still think 2011 was better, and that was no 2010.
    BobCobb likes this.
  37. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Oh hey its this thread again. I missed out on the last 4, glad I caught this one.
  38. jegross2

Our bottles were all waxed (twist top bottles in earlier yrs), and storage makes a difference too