1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone else enjoying the new Straub craft beers?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by lionking, Apr 28, 2013.

1. lionking

lionking Savant (310) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2006

I liked the 1872 Lager and am enjoying the Maibock. Didnt try the altbier Ground Hog Brew. The GHB used to be just Straub Light.

2. The ‘short answer’ is that I have not tried any of the Straub craft beers since they are not being distributed in the Philly area. I went to a half dozen stores (retail beer distributors and six-pack shops) to try and get the Groundhog Day beer (which was an Alt) but that beer was not being made available to retailers.

Are the Straub craft beers being made in small quantities and therefore have limited distribution?

One of the beer stores told me that the 1872 Lager was only available in a variety case. Is Straub not distributing that beer as a standalone product?

I think it is great that the Straub folks are ‘thinking outside the box’ and making different, craft beers. I just wish they were more readily available. It seems that they are concentrating on the non-Southeastern PA market (and Ohio?).

Cheers!

3. lionking

Picked up the Maibock at Waywood Beverage in Kennett Square so it is available in SEPA. The 1872 Lager was their first craft beer and it was in a variety pack. I think i picked it up at Kirchner Beverage in Lancaster. They are the master distributor.

4. Picked up a couple Groundhogs at Krugel's recently, it's a pretty hefty beer.

5. Did you enjoy drinking this beer? Would you recommend it?

There are 3 reviews of the 2013 Groundhog and the reviewers did not have high praise for this beer. I would guess that Morey summed up the 3 reviews with: “It's not all that bad really.”

Cheers!

6. Would I recommend folks make this their go to? Not really. Would I recommend trying it - absolutely. One has to keep price point in mind when tasting Straub items, or even SBC.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  7. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Straub is pretty easy to find in Western PA and Eastern Ohio. I've only seen their stuff in one distributor in Del Co and one distributor in Philly. But calling anything other than the Maibock a "craft" beer is a stretch because of their heavy use of adjuncts in their other beers. (And I've not yet seen a description of the Maibock recipe, so...)

8. Straub is indeed making craft beers now (seasonal beers). As I posted previously I tried real hard to get the Groundhog Day beer which was an all malt Altbier but I was not successful. One of the folks who tried to get it for me was Matt Guyer of the Beeryard. I was at a beer event at Teresa’s Next Door (Pliny the Younger tapping). I asked Matt (who was there) again about getting me a case of Groundhog Day. He tapped some guy on the shoulder and asked him: “Hey’ what about Straub Groundhog Day?” The guy (a sales rep from Origlio Wholesale Beer Distributor) responded: “It was not offered to us.” So, Origlio has the wholesale distribution rights to Straub beer in the Philly area but Straub is not making the craft beers available to Origlio?

Another of their craft beers I would like to try is 1872 Lager which reads like a genuine CAP beer.

The ‘regular’ Straub beers are sold at my local retail beer distributor: Kunda Beverage.

You can read more below:

“Beer: No repeat: Straub's first all-malt brew

January 10, 2013 12:06 am

Frank Walsh

Straub's Groundhog Brew

By Bob Batz Jr. / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Just out is another notable new release from Straub: The brewery's first all-malt brew.

As mentioned in this space and The Forks blog (pgplate.com/forks) back in November, the St. Marys, Elk County, "Legacy Brewery" just released this year's limited-edition "Groundhog Brew," which, for 2013, is an altbier. The German-style beer is brewed with German ale yeast and hops and none of the flaked corn that's in other Straub brews -- just German pilsner and Vienna, and domestic Munich and black malts, says head brewer Vince Assetta. The result is a dark reddish, 5.3-percent-alcohol-by-volume brew that will keep your blood from freezing should you be personally present for this year's Groundhog Day festivities in Punxsutawney on Feb. 2.

Last year's Groundhog Brew was Peter Straub Special Dark repackaged for the holiday, and previous ones were repackaged Straub Light.

Tony Knipling of Vecenie Distributing says the new stuff, in bottles (with new groundhog labels) and in kegs, is being delivered to area outlets now.

This is the second new seasonal offering from Straub, which started marking its 140th anniversary last year with Straub 1872. But it still contained some flaked corn. Some people and groups, such as the Brewers Association, hold their collective noses at such "adjuncts" in beer, but Straub is one of the breweries that's been pushing back, including by organizing breweries like themselves under the "American Legacy Breweries" banner.

Meanwhile, Straub plans another all-malt seasonal release early this spring: A maibock, which Mr. Assetta says will be a 6.9-percent-ABV pale bock.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/life/libations/beer-no-repeat-straubs-first-all-malt-brew-669701/#ixzz2RxtpvJSb

Cheers!

9. drtth

When I was on the brewery tour last fall it wasn't clear that GroundHog Day beer was to be different from year to year and the only thing on offer to sample were their 3 basic beers, all of which were just fine. So thanks for the useful information, correction of mis-impressions and pointers. Sounds like there is change in the air at Straub's. What with the new packaging and at least two seasonal all-malt beers.

Edit: Brought home a case each of the Amber and the Lager. Enjoyed the Amber the most and thought it could give Yuengling Lager a run for the money. Spread several bottles of both out amongst a few neighbors who appreciated the chance to try them both.

10. The Maibock is available in the Philly area (in stock here), I think what happened with the Groundhog brew is Straub changed wholesalers at the time Groundhog was to be available. So it probably just feel thru the cracks.

11. lionking

I recently saw the SBC variety pack in Chester Ciounty. Price was in the low $30s.

12. Do you know the details between who the old wholesale distributor was vs. who the new wholesale distributor is (and when the change took place)?

My local retail beer distributor always had cases of the ‘regular’ Straub beer in stock.

Cheers!

13. lionking

I get to Straub about once a year. Love to get a few drinks from the Eternal Tap, take the tour and get a beer off the line. Have always picked up a case or two of returnable bottles, choice of 12 oz or 16 oz., althought they are now labeled "reusable". I often picked up the 1/8 keg as well. Straub has had a small system for experimental brews for a few years. They finally started making some new beers in 2012.

Read some artilce in the post gazette or tribune review about new generation of family took over within the last year or two.

Ive never had a CAP but as i recall the 1872 lager was similar in style to Batch 19.

I think i had to request both the variety pack and the maibock from my distributor.

14. I do a lot of my beer shopping at Wyoming Valley Bev; the SBC variety was being sold for about $29. The straight cases are $27. Also, for a very limited time right now, Yuengling Bock for $15. No Southampton Keller Pils, though...

15. I haven’t tried any of the SBC beers yet. It appears that they have four beers right now: Pils-Noir, Goldencold Lager, 6th Generation Stock Ale, and HopFive IPA. Do you like any of these beers? Anything that you would recommend?

I recognize that SBC has a business plan to be a contract brewer (I know that they will be brewing some of the Southampton beers for example). Have you had any beers that are contract brewed at SBC? If so, how were they?

Cheers!

16. I like all the SBC beers and had the Pils Noir as the winter dark for visitors.
    When the Keller Pils comes out, it will be the SBC beer.
    Have not had this season's but it has been a consistent winner in the past. Can't imagine SBC will have difficulty with it.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  17. trying a bottle flight now; the 6th Gen is a little subtle

JackHorzempa likes this.
  18. Ran into Vince Assetta from Straubs at PA Flavor yesterday; an IPL is on the way.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  19. drtth

Thanks for the update. Gotta lot of respect for breweries like Straub's. I like supporting them when possible and hope these new changes will bring good things.