1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anyone Else Find This Site Far Less Useful Since We Went to "Everything Threads"?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by coldriver, Mar 22, 2013.

1. coldriver

coldriver Member

At first I thought the "everything" threads were a great idea - consolidating everything there is to know about what's going on with a brewery. But after several months I realize I have no clue what Jester King, etc is up to because of these threads. Understand that there are plenty of people who check these threads daily, but for those of us who log in maybe once a week, wading through all the "I saw this in San Antonio, when is it getting to Houston, this is on tap at Austin, DFW hasn't seen it, etc" have gotten me to the point where I almost never check them. And it's getting worse now that it's expanded way beyond Jester King to cover Southern Star, Karbach, Shiner, etc. I used to count on a new thread to alert me to a new release but these "everything" threads are like trying to read a newspaper with no headlines. Would be interested to see if I'm the only one who feels this way...
    xpimptastikx, Crunkle, Show and 3 others like this.
  2. MackayClanBrewin

MackayClanBrewin Member

I agree. I no longer check the "everything" threads. People should post new items in new threads.
    JJFoodie likes this.
  3. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Member

You're not the first person to complain about the "everything" threads.

I have the opposite perspective, that the everything threads are beneficial to this site. They consolidate all of the loose ends. Look at any of the beer or release-specific threads and they all deviate away from the original topic and turn into a thread about that brewery. It's kind of annoying when multiple threads are open related to one brewery and in all of them different people are talking about the same thing. When that happens, the everything threads make more sense. Yeah, there aren't as many new threads, but there are still headlines, you just have to keep up with the conversations. And still, you have your more specific threads for major happenings, questions, and bigger releases (e.g. Enjoy By, Divine Reserve 13, etc.).
  4. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

I actually really like the Jester King and Saint Arnold's everything threads because it seems the brewers are involved more since they were made. The others I personally keep up with but I wouldn't miss them and I'm not sure they serve a purpose.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  5. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

I dislike the everything threads, I would much rather a thread about specific brews so I can check the ones I care about...
  6. mindswoop

mindswoop Member

I like them if the brewers are interactive and answering questions.
  7. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Member

It's not like this board is super active and full of threads. You can see threads that were last posted in a couple of days ago on the first page most of the time. I like it better to have more, more specific and shorter threads but that's just me.
    UHCougar12 likes this.
  8. Ford

Ford Member

I like the everything threads.. but I keep up with them... and really, there is never that much to read.. most posts are pretty short.
    BeanBone likes this.
  9. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Member

I think this should be redirected or merged with the "everything less useful" thread.
  10. Danielbt

Danielbt Member

This is probably key. I like the "everything" threads, but I actively follow them because the goddam web filter at work blocks most everything else that's interesting.
    Ford likes this.
  11. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Member

I find specific threads much more useful. Seeing the thread "divine reserve 13" doesn't make me wonder what's in there. If I had to sift through last years dr12, icons, bishops to find out where dr13 is/was it would be a pain. Now for breweries who arnt as popular, southerstar, DE, I can understands. But JK Karbach and SA definitely need product specific threads.
  12. lokieman

lokieman Member

I like the Jester King thread due to the fact that Jeff and the guys are active and answer questions we have for them. I think it started getting out of hand when the "Everything Shiner" thread was created. We now have an all inclusive thread for a brewery that just released their first beer to the public...and from what I can tell, they have few fans. We should keep the all inclusive threads for the big boys such as Jester King and Freetail.
  13. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Member

CMS developers deal with this issue all the time. As a devloper of content management systems I would solve the problem by adding a level of taxonomy beyond the Regional category. A Brewery level placed after Regional. This would allow users to add specific posts about that brewery under that level. Currently users are trying to create this level by throwing all posts related to a brewery into a single post. It works to an extent, but it makes it hard to scan specific topics. You have to read through a huge thread to find posts related to the brewery related topic.

Then you could reverse the region node to provide access to a general brewery category which could be sorted by region or alphabetically.
  14. BeanBone

BeanBone Member

Sup, fellow information architect?

Assuming that the elegant solution above will never be implemented, I vote to keep the everything threads. They make it much easier to keep up with what I care about without looking through 100 new threads every week. Sure, for those that don't keep up with the site it can be tricky, but why optimize the site for those that view it and interact with it least? My two cents.
    Ford, rainerschuhsler and mattisloco like this.
  15. corbey

corbey Member

Thank you. Count me as someone else who really dislikes the Everything threads, and I've stopped bothering with them. As a result, I find that I'm missing some releases just because I can't be bothered to wade through the threads. And have you ever tried to look at one of those threads on a phone? Forget it.
  16. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

On a phone is 90% of how I view the threads, no problems here.
    Daemose, icetrauma and BeanBone like this.
  17. Lutter

Lutter Member

So, what you're trying to say is that this all goes back to one simple mistake by one Mr. icetrauma of the Houston area.

Houston, why you gotta ruin everything I love?
  18. BeanBone

BeanBone Member

I check them on my phone multiple times per day, no issues.
    Daemose, icetrauma and Ford like this.
  19. jamescain

jamescain Member

I like them when people are actually posting information about the brewery and or their beers, I start to dislike them when people start posting "there are X number of beers at X store." I guess I've also grown tired of chasing beers too. Which is why I buy them if I see them and if I miss something then oh well.
  20. BeanBone

BeanBone Member

Conversely, helping each other find bottles is one of the best parts of this community in my eyes.
  21. corbey

corbey Member

I agree, and my main problem with the everything threads is that the useful information gets buried so deeply in the threads that it's hard to find. I don't have time to read the the long threads and I'd like to be able to scan the thread titles to see which ones might be useful. I guess I'm just not interested in all the small talk and chat. The (512) Double Pecan Porter thread went on for days and days before the beer was actually released, by which time I'd lost interest. Guess that's why I'm starting to like twitter better than BA.
  22. jamescain

jamescain Member

Very true.
  23. kmello69

kmello69 Member

Yes, this. If you only check once a week, you're going to be behind on everything. Thats just the nature of it. I check at least once a day, and have no trouble keeping up with the threads, on either my phone, ipad or computer.

So the issue is that there is too much discussion on a discussion forum? If you just want the "data", you're right, Twitter is probably a better option. But there are definitely some of us who enjoy the banter as well.
  24. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Member

I started an "everything" thread beacuase the multiple threads covering the same topic was getting out of hand. I think there were 5 different threads for the jester king rodeo series. "Everything" may not be the best term to be used but I was basically trying to create a sticky since we aren't able to have stickies in the regional forums. Beer sightings should really have their own thread/threads. The main problem you'll find in the everything threads is a similar problem that you find in general with online forums. Too many people become more concerned with being king ding a ling of the interwebs than they are with actually contributing to the site. The focus should be learning about beer and being helpful to others learning about beer. It should not be about having to one up the poster you're quoting, having some witty bullshit for a laugh, or getting aggressive when someone says something you don't agree with. I sometimes catch myself typing up something and will question it before I submit it "am I being a BA or king dingaling?" You'll find that the people mucking up the everything threads are usually not contributing much in general.
  25. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

:eek: Wait ... What?
    BeanBone likes this.
  26. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Member

Fern figured this shit out long ago people. Retire Everything threads after 30 pages and start v2.0. Problem solved, everyone have a good weekend and good night ;)
  27. Ford

Ford Member

I enjoy the witty banter...

In the end.. if a person would prefer to start a new thread over a specific beer... I don't think anyone here is going to be mad or care... If it interests me, I will open it and read it and possibly write something that contributes very little. Though I hope I make someone chuckle every once in a while. All I really want is attention. Please like me.
  28. ChanceK

ChanceK Member

I don't like them, I don't look at them. When I have a topic I post it. When I see a topic I like I look at it.
  29. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

2 words...........Firestone-Walker. Have a nice day. :D
  30. coldriver

coldriver Member

Appreciate the thoughtful discourse - looks like about an even split here. Weird thing for me is that on a pure logic basis I like the Everything Threads for the reasons everybody else mentions. I can't disagree with anyone's arguments, especially when the brewer becomes an active participant! But from a practical standpoint I find myself passing by the Everything Threads over and over thinking "I'll catch up with Jester King when I have more time." But after thinking that for three months and ultimately finding myself never checking the Jester King thread, it prompted me to start this thread.
    I love the ideas our CMS developers have proposed (regional level, brewery level, etc). Doubt we'll get there anytime soon, but it seems like the best solution to get what the majority of people are looking for on this site.
  31. Clonies720

Clonies720 Member

Everytime I read your posts, I look at your avatar, and read it in Steve Carell's voice. Thank you.
  32. jbeezification

jbeezification Member

Its good for the people who keep up with the threads, but honestly it makes sense to still post the big news such as new releases and whatnot elsewhere.
    dumptruck81 likes this.
  33. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Member

Yup.
  34. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Member

Just to clarify. I agree with you in having a good laugh. I guess I should have written it as people "always" having to have something witty for a laugh. I'm on my phone 95% of the time so I fuck it up quite often when posting. I'm also usually quite drunk or hungover when posting. I wake up to some pretty stupid stuff that I've written. Started a trade inquiry with a random BA I spotted in another thread with a conversation thread titled "potential trade with an asshole from Texas". I got a pretty good response including "that's of course if you're up for trading with a douche from Florida".
    Ford likes this.
  35. jbeezification

jbeezification Member

Douche or not send me some Cigar City
    BruceBruce and starkmarvelo like this.
  36. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

My thread was deleted, they didn't like it even though I did make a topic in the no topic thread
  37. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Member

Already? I found that thread very informative, and entertaining.
  38. Lutter

Lutter Member

I'm kind of surprised this thread wasnt closed as well.
  39. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Member

True, being that the topic is non-beer related
  40. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

I hope you at least got to suffer through my joke before it was removed?