1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone else getting bombarded with Heady Topper messages?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by aasher, Jan 16, 2013.

1. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I've already had like five people try to trade me Heady Topper for my Rare, King Henry, etc. They have all had 2012 join dates. Has anyone else seen an influx in requests for bottles with Heady Topper as the only thing they offer (due to its ascension to #1).

What do I need Heady Topper for when I can drink Zombie Dust whenever I want?

3. Not sure that ZD equals HT but HT for stuff like that is crazy. 4xHT for 6xZD yeah but not stuff like Rare and KH

seplo likes this.
  4. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Your likes/gots ratio is ballin

jegross2 and MordorMongo like this.
  5. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

eh, if you like your beer big and bold, heady > zombie dust. me, i'd take zombie dust every time because i prefer my hop blast to come in lower alcohol packages.

re: trade influx, get ready for more as the craft boom continues to grow. meh.

6. This is why my regular trading partners are the only ones who know my 'real' gots.

jegross2, SpdKilz, MarkF150 and 2 others like this.
  7. Part of the reason I blocked my cellar link. I would have people responding to a trade saying deal, and at the last minute asking if I would swap my DDG for the kern Citra that they just happened to notice was in my cellar...

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  8. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

You didn't hear? Topper is the best beer in the world evers!!

(It is pretty tasty tho)

9. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

Apparently I didn't read your entire post haha

Well topper is ahead of rare on the list, so logically it must be a better beer and you must want it.

On a completely serious note, the same could be said for Pliny when it was number 1 too. Actually I've had people solicite me offering killer brews for some fresh Pliny. I imagine people with topper are being solicited heavy so theyre going for big fish

Btw to all you fine folks who have sent me topper as an extra, you guys fucking rock!

10. aasher

But Rare isn't on the list, it's retired.

KevSal likes this.
  11. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

Semantics. If it were so good, it'd defy its retired status and be on the Top 100. It's just a shelf turd.

Shagtastic, KevSal and Kaydogg like this.
  12. Kaydogg

Kaydogg Savant (385) Pennsylvania Jan 5, 2011

honestly header topper is one of the strangest beer to trade for... I put an ISO up and had offers from Rare to tough Cantillon to RR sours, locals to some dude goingtopickitupformebro for cash
    the generous guy that grabbed it for cash for me I sent a thank you box that he really appreciated so hopefully a trade partner for future..

shelf wale to many locals who are new trying to maximize trades

islandboi8204, jegross2 and ASUBeer like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

And this is where you lost me.

smutty33 likes this.
  14. There may be another element--the Alchemist is almost done building its additional facilities, which is going to make HT a good bit less rare. Maybe people are trying to dump their hoard before the value goes down.

15. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I cant answer why you've gotten multiple offers recently, but I personally prefer quantity to rarity. I'd rather have a Heady Topper to drink every day for a month than a single bottle that I can enjoy for 1 day. That's just me though.

16. We here in New England do not have access to many good beers.
    HT and HF are about it.
    So that's what we have to trade. :(

17. Cry me a freakin' river.

YaKnowBrady, je1129, JulianB and 2 others like this.
  18. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Haha....what? You must be joking....

Shilt, Gosox8787 and Etan like this.
  19. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

At least you aren't in Washington.

Sarlacc83, Rempo, Pahn and 1 other person like this.
  20. aasher

Value is retail cost.

21. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Value = retail cost + time spent 'oxidizing' * BA rating - distance from Chicago. Duh, ;)

tut2528, GRDave and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  22. NH is VERY limited thanks to state regulations.... I am NOT kidding :(

23. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I heard they don't have any rare beer there.

vurt and MordorMongo like this.
  24. While Rare and King Henry are ludicrous, HT is a bitch to get right now. Between its rising popularity, the growth of craft, and the busy winter season, it is selling out immediately. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and went on a Friday at 2pm and it was already sold out with people apparently waiting in line for the place to open on Friday morning. And that's with a one case per person limit. In the past I've rolled in there at my leisure on a Saturday and bought 2 cases with no problem.

Unless you're a true local or can go up midweek, it's getting very hard to acquire. Expansion plans are in the works so hopefully that will rectify the problem, but we'll see. It's just a particularly bad time to trade for HT... Not to mention, nobody should be shipping out of Waterbury right now anyway. It gets below zero at night these days...

As for blind offers... I'm extremely skeptical of them, and I purposefully only keep an assortment of locals in my gots.

MasterCraft likes this.
  25. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

New Hampshire, sure....

However, stating that New England (as you had in your original statement) is lacking in great beers and pin-pointing Hill Farmstead or The Alchemist the only trade-able options is a bit near-sighted, don't you think?

Gosox8787 likes this.
  26. HT and HF have comprised maybe 10% of the beers I have traded. There are tons of great stuff to trade in New England - you have to realize that the stuff you take for granted like Dogfish Head, Allagash, or Goose Island don't get sent to half the country. Jack's Abby alone has been hot trade shit for the last few months for me...

27. well then don't say new england when you mean new hampshire

28. Yes Jack's Abbey is awesome, but again not in NH.

29. You are correct. My Bad;)

30. Yes, you are 100% correct.

Hanzo likes this.
  31. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Every trade I've made for Hill Farmstead, I have received Heady Topper as an extra.

Moral of story: trade for HF, get HT.

libbey, YaKnowBrady, SpdKilz and 6 others like this.
  32. Where in NH do you live? You're never really more than 2 hours from MA, and most people are within an hour. Not so far that you can't make the occasional weekend day trip for a beer run...

Gosox8787 likes this.
  33. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

You may not have much, but ONLY having HF and HT is not a terrible problem to have. Most would kill to have access to HF offerings.

34. This is truth, unfortunately as I posted above, not so easy anymore. I was able to get the usual trunk full of HF on my last trip, but zero HT.

35. I'm in Portsmouth, within walking distance to Portsmouth Brewery, which has plenty of good beer on tap.
    We have lots of great beer available in the area, however, it is limited by state regulators. That's why I've started to trade. Only 4 trades under my belt, but looking to do more.

36. aasher

See: Three Floyds six pack availability outside of Munster.

Also, I don't even have any Gots listed!

cbeer88 and MarkIntihar like this.
  37. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Psh, everyone knows the city of Indianapolis got like 20 cases of Zombie Dust, bro! Stop acting like it's not just sitting on shelves getting stale since they don't bottle date!

38. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

This is one of the reasons I've stopped posting my cellar link in ISO's. While I like being able to offer my cellar for trades and see if people want something that I have that I'm willing to part with; every trade ends up being the typical "I see you have blabaer and mimosa, I'm happy to trade you some bcbs/pliny/heady for those". Even when several beers have *'s next to them and a note saying don't ask about them.

39. aasher

Reading is a lost art form :(

Kind of ironic in a forum

codysjb likes this.
  40. The word is out on Heady.

Six months ago I used to be able to cross the street from my office and pick up a case after work if I wanted to...any day of the week. Now, I have to drive to Waterbury (a little over an hour away) on Monday or Thursday night if I want to get any. I went on a Friday night and a Saturday to get some at different points in the last couple months and I struck out both times. I haven't even had a can of Heady since November. HF has been easier for me to get lately.

I will never understand people saying 99% percentile IPAs like Heady aren't worth giving up good stuff for.

I just landed a Rare for a case of Heady (part of a slightly larger trade) and in the past I've gotten Black Tuesday, CBS, Better Half, more Bruery stuff, a Rose de Gambrinus, BCBS, Bramble and a bunch of CCB stuff mainly just for Heady. In every one of these trades, both sides are very happy. (Someone receiveing like 12-20 cans of Heady Topper in the mail is not going to be someone lacking joy in their life.) And if I made a trade without involving Heady, I sure as heck included it as extras....back when I could even get it;)

If I lived close to Russian River and had easy access to their sours, to Beat, etc. then I'd be trading them for beers I want to try. If I lived near HotD, I'd do the same with beers I could get there. If I lived in Tampa, I'd pick up a case of Imperial Sweet Stout or BA Big Sound or MZ at release and use that.

Enjoy the beers brewed in your local area, and then, if you trade, hopefully you'll find people who enjoy your locals.