1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Anyone else getting bombarded with Heady Topper messages?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by aasher, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I'm kind of puzzled then, because you can drive into MA in 20 minutes and it opens up a giant world of awesome and trade-able beer. :confused:
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  2. There are many great stores in Massachusetts and Maine within an hour of you. I'd make a day trip every month and just stock up on awesomeness.
  3. NHbeerfishing

NHbeerfishing Savant (455) New Hampshire Dec 31, 2012 Verified

I joined recently and also live in New England. Headies are delicious and much easier to come by than Hill Farmstead or the Lawsons Finest beers. With the current ranking and all it is easy for me to drive 2 hrs to VT and grab a few cases thinking that it shouldn't be too tough to work out a trade for most things I'm looking to try. Went up yesterday, grabbed a couple of cases and am going to trade for some hopslams and maybe plinys/zombie dust if I can find a partner.
    The individual batches of headies are all subtlety different and having varying degrees of hop explosion. Mondays batch was probably the most smooth and creamy of all the ones(30ish batches) I've tried. That being said, I prefer the hoppier batches that almost have a hop sting before rolling off into quenchability.
    If you haven't been able to swill 8-12 super fresh headies with the powerhop taste its difficult to really judge them. Personally have killed dozens of cases and didnt completely fall in love with it until having a few days with a case and really getting to know them. After only drinking them for a few weeks it was tough to go back to Firestone or whatever ipa/ double ipa that you were drinking before. They just weren't measuring up.
    This week marked the first batches that are being brewed since tripling their capacity. Sometime in mid feb the first cans will be ready and you should be able to go up anytime for cases instead of just on Mondays and Thursdays. Niiiice!
    Kaydogg likes this.
  4. I do drive to Ma and there are many good beers, but getting my hands on the one's that people want to trade for seems difficult. Maybe I need to find a few different stores, because the one's that I go to always seem to be sold out of the trade worthy beers. That being said, I stumbled upon 50/50 Eclipse and picked up some that i hope to trade. In case it isn't obvious, I'm a noob and still learning :)
  5. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (490) Illinois Mar 19, 2012 Verified

It's because 99% of people can get HT without giving up their Rare, Cantillon, CBS, etc.

Also if I get a case of HT in trade, I have to drink it in the next 4-6 weeks. If I get a case of limited HotD in trade I can enjoy it 24 different times over a 3-5 year span. That's why I don't trade my best bottles for an excellent IPA that's made year round....cause there's always more of it to be had.
    ASUBeer, marine1975, codysjb and 3 others like this.
  6. trade for ZD!!! I traded for Pliny and was not overwhelmed. I think Pliny is very good, but has been hyped too much.
  7. aasher

aasher Poobah (1,260) Indiana Jan 27, 2010 Verified

They aren't worth trading for if you're in Three Floyds territory (unless it's Hill Farmstead), AND it's local.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  8. Pahn

Pahn Champion (840) New York Dec 2, 2009 Verified

i only skimmed (some of the posts), but re: complaining about NH's beer, if you have the money to trade beer (ie buy beer for like 3x the cost), you have the money to drive out of that tiny state. (and into VT where you can buy trade gold... this isn't rocket science)
    omniscientcause likes this.
  9. nanobrew

nanobrew Advocate (645) California Dec 31, 2008

As much as I love HT and the few things from HF I have had, Jack's Abby equally as impressive. I love how they are changing the perception of lagers in the US. Good thing I know some great people on the East Coast!
    MasterCraft likes this.
  10. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (605) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

That's just asinine.
    lurchingbeast and SubpoenaDeuces like this.
  11. vacax

vacax Advocate (675) California Jun 3, 2008 Verified

They're new, they're even better than seasonal shelfwales, they're year-round wales. I just traded a Partridge for a Lagunitas IPA #EPIC hashtags
    Sarlacc83 likes this.
  12. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Drinking my first Hoponius Union now...WOW. Great stuff.
    Pahn likes this.
  13. NHbeerfishing

NHbeerfishing Savant (455) New Hampshire Dec 31, 2012 Verified

If people like jacks abbey that much ill def grab whatever they want. It's only an hr from concord nh, not 2 like alchemist. The hopponius union was whatev, but my friend who brought it said it was only like $10 for 4 bottles. If anyone can get things I'm dying to try like zombie dust, plinys, kern citra, Keene idea, basically any of the great ipa/double ipa's out there. I'll definitely take a ride down and pick up extra for trade. I go to Waterbury for headies every 2-3 weeks and will include them in any trade for a chance to try beers we can't get in NH.
  14. jegross2

jegross2 Champion (750) Illinois Jan 3, 2010 Verified

Abrasive's a better beer anyways ;)
  15. jegross2

jegross2 Champion (750) Illinois Jan 3, 2010 Verified

Who hoards IPA??
  16. People with septic sytems?
  17. DaveHack

DaveHack Advocate (625) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011 Verified

Seriously? The truth is HF is probably the only brewery that can land just about anything with it's releases...I WISH that was ALL I had to trade....
    codysjb likes this.
  18. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (590) New York Apr 27, 2012 Verified

Take the short trip up to Allagash whenever they release one of their Coolship beers. You'll have no problem trading those (to me, hopefully :rolleyes: ).
    franklinn and aasher like this.
  19. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

drop a line next time you're in waterbury and we'll drink some zombie dust.

Heady for ZD is a trade that gets done all day, every day. It's actually kind of amazing how balanced that trade is on both sides lol.
  20. cde1218

cde1218 Savant (270) New Jersey Sep 13, 2012

I just picked up my first case of HT and drank 16 in a 3 day weekend then traded the other 8 for 12 ZD, 1 Arctic Panzer Wolf and 1 Dreadnaught.... Awesome trade.... now I'm scratching my head as to which beer I would pick if I could only have one ever again...ZD or HT?

ZD is great and incredibly drinkably but HT is much more of an "experience" as it warms up and with how the hop oils (?) stay on your tastebuds. Such a tough call!
    Anonymous1 likes this.
  21. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

I'd go HT. Some days I think zombie dust because it's 6% compared to 8%, but if all you were drinking was Heady, your tolerance would get up there in no time ;)
  22. Pahn

Pahn Champion (840) New York Dec 2, 2009 Verified

they're definitely both beers where it wouldn't be that bad a fate to never drink another beer but this one.
    franklinn likes this.
  23. cde1218

cde1218 Savant (270) New Jersey Sep 13, 2012

I think if I could have each beer half the year I'd go ZD in the summer while sitting on the porch at the beach house and HT in the winter while doing the same at the ski cabin!!!

The extra hops/spice/complexity really do it for me in the cold....similarly, I'll rarely crack a BCBS in the summer...
    franklinn likes this.
  24. nc41

nc41 Champion (855) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008 Verified

I love both ZD and HT, but HT is clearly a different animal, apples to oranges an IPA to a big DIPA. The only DIPA that comes close to HT is Abrasive. But I'm over ZD as well, I love Citra hop brews.
  25. Beerness

Beerness Savant (285) North Carolina Mar 3, 2010 Verified

Reading what some people are asking for Heady Topper, just makes me so much more thankful for the awesome people that have traded me Zombie Dust, Alpine, Citra, and Abrasive for my piddly NC locals.
    aasher likes this.
  26. I got two HTs as extras in a trade where I sent NC/SC/GA stouts and he sent Zombie Dust and HF Everett. Not everyone is holding Headys for ransom right now.
  27. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Champion (865) Minnesota Dec 7, 2007 Verified

I recently traded Abrasive for both Heady & Pliny, and have come to the realization that it just doesn't make sense for me to do this.
    Don't get me wrong - they're still great beers, and I'm glad I tried & learned from them.
    I'll just never make them a centerpiece for any of my trades again because:

A. Pliny cost more $4$ - so it's a lopsided deal to begin with
    B. Heady has no date...(we all know what can go wrong there)
    C. Abrasive is amazing (and in IMO better)

I'd rather just either work a couple in on the back end of a deal to even it out, or just give/receive as bonus extras that everyone appreciates.

Still waiting to try ZD, but I'm sure it's going to be the same story - probably not worth a centerpiece for Abrasive.
    aasher likes this.