1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone ever make maggot beer?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Naugled, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Should I taste it?

1. Yes

60.7%
  2. No

39.3%
  1. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

I guess I just did, but not on purpose. I keep a couple of 'long term' experiments going in about 5 1/2 gal jugs. I call it my bug farm. Instead of air locks I just keep the caps on loosely. I noticed something crawling up the side of one of the jugs one day (see pic) and realized they were maggots. I guess that lid was a bit too loose and a gnat was able to crawl in.

This was in a jug of wort with Goudenband dregs from 2007. So it was fairly acidic and alcoholic (at one time at least). I was surprised to find that those maggots could survive and thrive in that solution.

[​IMG]

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I'm waiting for someone to tell you to rack carefully from beneath the maggots.

gcamparone, TWStandley and inchrisin like this.
  3. So I hope needless to say you'll be using airlocks from now on?

4. Or ask the process/flavor contribution of dry maggoting?

nozferatu46 likes this.
  5. VikeMan

Never dry maggot. They are full of O2.

6. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I once found a dead bat at the bottom of a bucket fermenter. However, the fermenter was not in use at the time. I cleaned it out, sanitized it, and all was OK. Well, except for the bat.

As for consuming the maggot beer, you would probably be fine, the beer might even taste OK, but why bother testing your gag reflex. I suppose you could smell it an evaluate further. Or just wash it out and make something else.

jsullivan02130 and evantwomey like this.
  7. Don't be surpized if Brew Dog steals your recipe and puts it on the market ....maybe stuffed in a road kill carcass.

8. I vote you wait until they turn into flies and then just let them fly out of the carboy. Problem solved.

9. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Paypal you 20 bucks to take a sip, with video proof.

10. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

Anyone else find it funny he called the experiments his "bug farm"?

lol

JrGtr likes this.
  11. As long as you aren't chewing your beer, it should be fine.

12. Dogfish Head Maggot Braggot?

13. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Any better pics for the entomologists out there?

14. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (320) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

15. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Never made maggot beer, but am very aware of the possibility. Fruit flies make me very nervous. Those little bastard are made to sneak into stuff.

16. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (340) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

I have a secret Santa BIF and need a gag beer, mind sending me a bottle?

17. This makes me want to bottle my sour right flippin now.

18. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

This makes me wonder how the "true" wilds/lambics that open ferment handle such issues.

19. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (510) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

You probably have vinegar at this point, or are getting close to it. I lost a couple (in bottle) sour starters to acetobacter by leaving them out w/ foil crimped over the top instead of airlocks.

20. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Funny story, I was driving to work today and eating raw Poptarts out of the foil because I was in a rush. After eating one I noticed what I thought was a brown sprinkle on my pant leg. I thought, that's funny. I don't remember brown sprinkles being on my Poptarts. After looking closer at my leg, it was moving around a little and I was hoping that maybe whatever it was just got on me somehow on my way to the car. After looking at the remaining Poptart, yeah...that was a maggot from the Poptarts. I had two maggots inside the foil with the other Poptart. I'm not sure how many I ate, but the flavor wasn't noticeable. I only got heebed out after I realized that I might have ate a few. The key here will be giving these beers away for Christmas. Tell no one. And on the bright side, nobody on here will judge you. They'll all be too busy laughing at me for the above story.

21. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (280) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Maggots lend a nutty flavor I've found, they also kind of pop when you bite them. Deelish.

psnydez86 and NiceFly like this.
  22. So they put the "pop" in inchrisin's Pop Tart?

jlpred55 and NiceFly like this.
  23. Naugled

That's happening already. I wish I had a better camera to post a pic.

I would have tried it for nothing...
    I'm surprised how close the poll is. I thought it would have been an over whelming 'yes'.

I plan to do an autopsy on this.. SG, Ph, TTA, microscope inspection to see if I can identify what's in there (besides the maggots), etc. I'll keep this post posted.

Are these just run of the mill gnats? I didn't realize they could survive in such environments. I've got to believe there's nothing but water, alcohol and acid left in there.

24. VikeMan

Ya know, I just realized the survey question was 'Should I taste it?' and not 'Would you taste it?' I might have voted differently.

25. inchrisin

Aww, you're fired! :)

26. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Would I try it? No. Should you try it? Yes.

gcamparone likes this.
  27. inchrisin

"Would you make someone else taste it?" <---- We have a winner!

good_gracious likes this.
  28. Awesome! A video might be easier, esp if your phone can do it.

edit: this will likely be a very gross video so maybe I'd rather you not....

29. I'm not girly-boy but this is disgusting. For some reason maggots seriously creep me out.

Edit: I voted that you should taste it :p

30. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Fruit flies, most likely. Eggs could have been laid on krausen stuck to the container?

I know I wouldn't hesitate to drink it (assuming it tasted okay). After all, you're eating/drinking cockroach fragments every time you have coffee or chocolate.

31. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Hope this isn't giving you any ideas for the group brew on the 15th. Old Maggot Ale doesn't sound good, even barrel aged.

32. So glad I read this on an empty stomach.....

So Naugled, have you decided whether to drink some yet?

WassailWilly likes this.
  33. Please keep us up to date.

34. corey0212

corey0212 Savant (330) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

"Maggots, Michael. You're eating maggots. How do they taste?"

pjustus and Hanzo like this.
  35. Gives a whole new meaning to describing a beer as "chewy"

36. Naugled

You know that did cross my mind. Not making an Old Maggot Ale, but the fact that there are so many fruit flies in that area due to all of the fruit. We'll have to be very careful with the barrel aging.

The votes are in, the people have spoken. I'll be sampling the maggot bile infused sour.
    My only quandary now is, do I bottle carbonate some?

jlpred55 and cavedave like this.
  37. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

In parts of Italy there is a maggot cheese that is considerred a delicacy. Don't believe it is made with fruit fly maggots, but a maggot is a maggot, no?

38. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

This piqued my curiosity so I wiki'd it.

While the larvae of the cheese fly are killed by the digestive process, certain species of fly larvae (which belong to a completely different family) have adapted to pass through the mammalian digestive system alive when accidentally ingested (stomach acids do not usually kill them). This is referred to as an enteric or intestinal myiasis.[10]
    Some fruit fly larvae of the family Tephritidae are a cause of myiasis in livestock and possibly humans.[11] The larvae can cause serious intestinal lesions as they attempt to bore through the intestinal walls. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdomen, and bloody diarrhea.
    However, there have been no reports of myiasis in Sardinia or Italy following casu marzu ingestion

OP may have some of them super-maggots living in his beer. I change my poll answer to NO

cavedave likes this.
  39. Imperial Maggot Braggot.

cavedave likes this.