1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone ever see macro American Malt Liquor on tap at a bar?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I 'aven't.

Anyone? Just curious. I think if I saw it on tap, I'd 'ave to give it a try simply because of the rarity/novelty.
  2. Nope but I've seen Olde English 800 tap handles for sale that appeared to be from the 80's.
  3. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Hmmmmm....can't say I ever have. Interdasting....
  4. Derranged

We're making progress.

I've heard that AML was served at bars back in 60s and 70s. We might have to talk to some of the "old school" BAs.
  5. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

It was a special occasion but Odell randomly brewed a malt liquor and a local bar/restaurant tapped a keg of it. I never tried it.
  6. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I wonder what the difference in taste would be, seeing as most malt liquor is sold in clear bottles.
    longbongsilver likes this.
  7. I'm going to start askin' for it though, should be a great conversation starter and it'll be fun to see what kind of responses I get.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  8. Derranged

If I ever run my own craft bar, I'm gonna put Crazy Horse on cask one night just be a wiseass. ;)
  9. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Ten years ago I truly enjoyed some original Colt 45 on tap. C45 is not a big beer by any stretch (and neither is Mickey's), and there are and were some stronger beers from the big, non-Craft breweries packaged for draft back then. And isn't Icehouse still available on tap? It always made me wonder where all the Malt Liquors kegs went...
    gcamparone likes this.
  10. Derranged

We have confirmation. What state/city was this in?
  11. Jason311

Jason311 Aficionado (105) Virginia Dec 18, 2012

Olde English !
  12. Derranged

All this talk about malt liquor made me crack open an oil can of Molson XXX. I don't care what anyone says, Molson XXX is totally decent. And I'm not just saying this because I'm heavily buzzed.
  13. Derranged

When and where?
  14. Chaz

Minneapolis, MN at "the Triple Rock".
  15. I've never seen it, but it'd be cool.
  16. Derranged

Where's Jesskidden?
    Duff27, mikeburd1128 and sommersb like this.
  17. The Triple Rock would serve that. Badass. Great topic, never thought of malt liquor on tap before. On the flip side, why no craft beer in 40s??
  18. Derranged

DFH Liquor De Malt, The People's Pint Tap n Die Malt Liquor are in 40s. DFH no longer brews theirs though. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing some sessionable craft lagers and ales in 40s.
    gcamparone likes this.
  19. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

Not a Macro but Three Floyds had a malt liquor out, I think it was called "Region Riot" not too bad if I remember correctly, I had it at a Three Floyds tap takeover at Bavarian Lodge..sorry for the random post
  20. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

a keg of this made it to PP Carlsbad a year+ ago. best malt liquor i've ever had.
  21. I've seen steel reserve on tap at a bowling alley in Los Angeles. I had no interest in trying it though.
    Chaz likes this.
  22. I've never seen one on tap ("Chaz" visits those sorts of places, not me ;) - he told me my "outfit" was all wrong the night we were going to go) , but I have a Haffenreffer Private Stock Malt Liquor tap handle, made of Lucite and with the dragon image on it, so I'd guess it dates from the late 1970-80's Falstaff era.

Seems to me I've also seen (at breweriana shows, eBay, etc) handles from Schlitz Malt Liquor, Old English 800 and Colt 45, too.
    Chaz likes this.
  23. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (575) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

Molson XXX and the Labatt equivalent, Maximum or something to that effect, were always available on tap as a 19-year old visiting Canada. Mid-late '90s.
  24. It isn't macro but, a while back, Iron Hill in Lancaster did brew a malt liquor which they dubbed Street Legal that was (obviously) served on tap.

If I ever do come across a macro malt liquor on draft, I would try it just to say I've had it.
  25. I had a glass of the Bruery's Cornballer at Beer Revolution once.
  26. HarryHood

HarryHood Aficionado (195) Ohio Dec 10, 2012

I had one at Four Peaks in Arizona. It was alright, but could only stomach one.
  27. Chaz

I could totally get down with some Private Stock on tap! Besides, it gets tough on a working man's wallet to keep dropping $50+ tips every time he steps foot into "The Happy Gnome". ;)
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  28. Yeah, me, too. Another ex-Falstaff product ruined when S&P closed Narragansett, and then further dumbed down when Pabst converted to a "Virtual" brewery...

Haven't yet found the new stuff, after some of the Haffenreffer family regained the rights to the name and moved the contract to F. X. Matt, and using the dba of Private Stock Brewing Co.

The question is, do you order your Haf' "on the rocks" or not?
    [​IMG]

The tips are what keeps the Gnome happy, after all. And all that "proper glassware" don't come cheap. (Well, they do when it's a freebie case of glasses from the distributor...).
    Chaz likes this.
  29. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

There are a few boozy American maibocks that might as well be.
    Chaz likes this.
  30. There is a bar by my house that serves 40's of O.E. till 2am.

I have been cut off six times in my life...all six were at this establishment.
    sjverla and Providence like this.
  31. Derranged

All this talk about malt liquor on tap, I forgot about the fact that I've never seen it in bottles at a bar either. I haven't had a forty of O.E. since 2000. I was 18 at the time, still hadn't given up on life yet.

For those mentioned they would like Private Stock on tap, add me to that list.
  32. Chaz

Olde English "High Gravity 800" reminds me of those particular renditions. ;)
  33. Derranged

If I went to a bar that had Molson XXX on tap Id wind up getting in trouble :confused:
  34. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Geez, what a flashback! I remember when my friends and I first started drinking, the amount of Crazy Horse 40's you could consume directly correlated to street cred earned. I hate to be the bearer of bad news though, Crazy Horse no longer exists:

http://www.monitor.net/monitor/free/crazyhorsesuit.html

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising/brewer-settles-crazy-horse-case-48433
  35. No, but Crazy Stallion, marketed by the same company, Ferolito, Vultaggio & Sons, does...

[​IMG]

...and it's even brewed in the same brewery (formerly owned by Heileman and then Stroh, now City Brewing Co. in La Crosse, WI). Heileman, Stroh, and City were merely the contract brewers, Ferolito, Vultaggio & Sons (using the dba of "Hornell Brewing Co.") are the owners and marketers. FV is best known as the the owner of Arizona Ice Tea and last I heard the owners were feuding and not sure of the current status of the company.
  36. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

my go to camping beer!
    [​IMG]
  37. Lawd, why would you want to?
  38. Depends on what you mean by malt liquor. If you mean merely an incredibly cheaply made but high ABV beer, no I can't say I ever have.

However, in Texas, and probably some other states, malt liquor by statute any beer over a particular ABV (or ABW) and had to be labeled a malt liquor. (That's no longer the case in Texas after a federal court overturned the TABC enforcement of identifying beers by statutory name rather than what the brewery says it is. ) Brooklyn lager, for example, had to be labeled as a malt liquor on the label solely due to the ABV. New Belgium's 1554 had to be labeled ale even though it's a lager. Texas is a big market with stupid rules so it's easier to make one label that complies with the most stringent rules than make a different label for every state and worry about whether the distributors got the right beers to the right states. If you look at bottles of some of your national craft brewers you'll probably find a few labelled malt liquor.
  39. How on Earth is 1554 a lager....
    It is an enlightened black ale. Says so on the bottle here in CO.
  40. Derranged

Not a bad choice