1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone get a "fishy" taste from certain breweries?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mtlasley, Jun 25, 2012.

1. mtlasley

mtlasley Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 27, 2012

It seems that in the lighter brews from certain breweries, I find a fishy taste throughout. My best examples are Oberon from Bell's and Festina Peche from Dogfish Head. My question is; Is this something in the beer making or is it just a flavor inside the water?
  2. Did you take a fish oil caplet previous?
  3. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

I don't drink much from DFH but IPA's (60/90) which taste like nothing but delicious IPA's, so I don't know about Festina Peche. I spent much of the summer of 2011 with an Oberon in hand, and had it on more than a few occasions this year and don't have even the slightest idea of what you might think is fishy.
  4. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

i got it from new belgium ranger before, maybe just a fluke....a..fluke...but seriously i did.
    DSlim71 likes this.
  5. mtlasley

Never had them.
  6. Was drinking little sumpin wild with my brother once and we both agreed it had a strange salmon flavor to it. One of the strangest beer experiences I've had.
  7. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (390) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

oh yeah dogfiish head and flying fish. and guess what Flying Dogs brew taste like?
    Lantern likes this.
  8. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I saw a TV bit years ago about an English brewery adding ladles of fishy stuff to the barrels, I'm thinking it was Bateman's. It was a show about competition in the UK between breweries. I love Bateman's and there's nothing weird about it.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Were you guys at Red Lobster when you had these experiences?
  10. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

"There was a fish.... IN the percolator"...
  11. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Sounds like it could have been isinglass as timings, usually done for cask ale, but could be used in kettle for clarity. This does not impart any flavor/ aroma at all to the brew.
  12. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I've gotten this flavor from a couple of homebrews I've made. It is much more evident if you drink another beer first. Not sure if it is from an ingredient or a flaw in the brewing process.
  13. MaineMike

MaineMike Savant (290) Maine Jan 22, 2011

I think some fish taste mineraly as do some beers. Could that be the "fishy" flavor?
  14. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Sounds like you don't like wheat.

But why else do you think it's called DogFISH head?
  15. mtlasley

Vitus, ZON, Mothership Wit all don't have this flavor.
  16. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

Never noticed it in a beer, but I have noticed it sometimes when drinking water from a glass. Strangest thing. Google it - I'm not alone. A test would be to take the same beer you taste this fish taste in and try that beer out of a ceramic stein or mug and see if you still taste it. Also try it out of a glass from someone else's house.
  17. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (320) Michigan May 30, 2010

Only a guess, but maybe some hop varieties taste that way to your palate, taste is subjective and many people perceive flavors differently. I have gotten onion flavors from beer before(devil dancer last year), but other people I was with thought it had a weed flavor. This year they used different hops and it is delicious, and more of a piney malty flavor.
  18. mtlasley

Devil's Dancer doesn't come out until next month this year.
  19. Hmm.. was expecting a dirty joke here and there. Stay classy BA!
    tarawho likes this.
  20. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (320) Michigan May 30, 2010

Its been on tap at the brewery, bottles are out July 1.
  21. mtlasley

Awwww, yeaaahhhh. Thanks man, I had no clue.
  22. If the brewery gets its water from a stream or lake, perhaps some fish material was taken with the water. And we all know what fish do in the water.
  23. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I got it from Butternuts Snapperhead IPA, but I think that's just because there's a picture of a fish on the can and that was the only adjective I could muster up to describe the vomit-inducing flavor lurking inside.
  24. prsplayer

prsplayer Initiate (20) Feb 18, 2013

Yeah! I noticed a fishy taste in the Ranger IPA too.
    C2H5 likes this.
  25. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I saw a TV show years ago and I believe it was Batemans ladling in some fishy concoction into the barrels, can't remember what he said it was. This show was kinda a documentary leading up to some Great Britain beer fest and how competitive it was vying for top awards.
  26. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

I drank a beer once that had a strong fishy taste and smell. I kept sipping thinking it was a weird sensory misfire of some kind. It was very strong and over powered all other flavors completely. The next day I tried another and it tasted the same. it was not just minerals and there were no subtleties about. It tasted like fish water. I have had the beer since and i was fine. I decided that it must have gone bad or something. because the one that I got somewhere else tasted great. I decided that the lids didnt seal properly but thats a guess
  27. C2H5 and crytion like this.
  28. About 15 years ago, I had a past date/old bubba keg of Warsteiner that tasted just like stale fish. When I checked why with the profs at brew school, the answer was oxidized lipids. Apparently the oxygen reacts over time with the small amounts of oils in the grains/malts used in brewing.

The real kicker is if you ever smell a bag of grain that has gone rancid from poor storage conditions - just nasty and oily fish stinky.
    C2H5 likes this.