1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone got an "Everett porter" clone recipe

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BreakingBad, Dec 4, 2012.

1. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to clone this yet? I searched all over and came up empty

2. I don't have an exact recipe, but you can start here

Levitation and BreakingBad like this.
  3. Looks like a pretty standard porter recipe plus a bit of roasted barley.

4. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

And a FG of 1.030?
    Geez. Great beer, but that's some wizardry to pull that off and not be a sweet mess.

NiceFly likes this.
  5. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I did not do the exact math, never had Everet, but those numbers look way off.

6. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

Given an OG of 21 plato (about 1.088) and 7.5% ABV, doesn't that make the FG about 1.015?

That said, I'm pretty sure wizardry is involved somewhere in the process :)

7. Using BeerSmith, with an OG of 1.088 and a FG of 1.030 the ABV is 7.7% with an attenuation of 64%

8. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

21 plato (1.087) at 7.5% ABV would be ~ 1.030 FG, but 21 plato at 7.5% ABW would be ~1.015

9. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

No, it makes the FG about 1.029748

10. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

*ahem* Don't mind me, I was looking at the ABW line of my little calculator.

(That doesn't seem bad enough to warrant three responses, though... :p)

11. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  12. That is the correct FG. And yes, it's crazy. My guess is that there's a considerable IBU level, dextrins (which aren't that sweet) and roast to balance the high FG. It's a damn tasty beer.

13. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Lactose.

14. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

I think thats spot on. Its pretty thick, and has a slight sweetness, but the roast really seems to temper any sweetness that may be there.

15. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

I have only had Everett once, but I didn't doubt the high final gravity for a moment. It is by far the most "concentrated" beer I have ever had. The mouthfeel was so full but it had the perfect balance of roast, bitterness and body without being cloyingly sweet.

16. oregone

I'm not doubting the FG. The fact that he balances it is the magic. Waaaaay to easy to get a component out of whack swinging that concentration. But hey, that's why Sean is the man.

17. Has anyone ever had a FG this high. I once brewed a Belgian Strong that finished at 1.031, but that had an OG of 1.103 and was mashed at 157.

I have never been able to get a stout with starting gravities around 1.088 OG to finish even near 1.030. I just brewed one with OG=1.086 and it finished at 1.020 (I wish it finished higher, it seems a bit too dry). This particular beer was mashed at 154, so I could mash higher, but will that alone get me towards 1.030?

The only other way I can think of, without adding unfermentables, is to use a less attenuating yeast. I had always assumed (maybe incorrectly) that Shaun used the same ale yeast for his IPAs, porters, ect., but could he use a specific less attenuative yeast for this beer. I took a quick like at the stats for some of his other beers (see below), and they all attenuate much better than Everett. So could a change in yeast and a high mash temp get the job done? Anyone with some ideas?

I suppose I could cheat, and just cold crash my keg when it gets to the gravity I want!!

Everett - FG=1.030 Att-64%
    Edward - FG=1.015 Att-72%
    Abner - FG=1.014 Att-80%
    Ephraim - FG=1.012 Att-85%
    James - FG=1.014 Att-77%

18. BomberKing

BomberKing Aficionado (160) Texas Jan 15, 2011

I would love to figure this recipe out, I dont have this anywhere near me, but I want to.

19. I guess they may cold crash and filter after they hit their Desired gravity. Perhaps they intentionally under pitch, though that would be very tricky to under pitch perfectly to get the exact gravity you want

20. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

I'm fairly certain that HF doesn't filter any beer they make. My guess would be a high mash temperature, lots of body enhancing malts, a high OG, and either a lower attenuating yeast strain or (as you suggested) finding some way to halt the fermentation process. I doubt crash cooling would be the method used though (provided they don't filter) as the yeast would just resume fermenting the beer in the bottle once those bottles were stored warm on store shelves / in warehouses creating bottle bombs.

willandperry likes this.
  21. I used to make a SN Stout clone in a similar way, albeit with a lower og, but using a pretty high mash temp like 156-7 will get you there- even with a strain like Chico (aa in the range of 65%). If they are also using roast unmalted barley then that should contribute some body as well. Getting the crystal malts (lowish) and bitterness (pretty high) correct will be the real balancing act.

22. oregone

I
    I have not had great luck seeing a huge increase in FG from high mash alone. Last stout with Edinburg yeast went from 1.112 to 1.020 mashed at 156 (with a recipe heavy on base malt).I think a huge amount of unfermentables is key. A monster dose of Carapils to build the gravity without making it overly sweet perhaps, and agreed on high percentage of unmalted roast grains. Id shoot for around 50% base malt. High mash will certainly help at least somewhat though.
    Couple these with a lower attenuating yeast and you may be getting somewhere.
    I haven't had this beer unfortunately, so can't speculate on other character malts.

23. jbone78

jbone78 Aficionado (245) Florida Feb 7, 2009

I was in Vermont this past week and tasted some Everett. Now, back in Florida, I want more. Has anyone done anymore research on this clone?

24. Wehler

Wehler Aficionado (105) Michigan Apr 3, 2013

I didn't read all the posts here so Im hoping this isn't redundant. A friend emailed me a dozen or so clone recipes and the Everett porter was one of them. I can't figure out how to post a Screenshot of it and there isn't a link so if you want it, drop me your me your email address and I'll be happy to forward it.

25. Just a quick question: which yeast strain is listed for the clone of Everett?

Cheers!

26. Wehler

Wehler Aficionado (105) Michigan Apr 3, 2013

Lakeland Nottingham, wlp013 or wyeast 1028.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  27. SDDanC

SDDanC Initiate (0) California Mar 1, 2011

Do not cold crash your beer if the yeast is still attenuating just to hit your FG. Look at your brewing process and figure out what you can change/adjust.