1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone had a 1999 JW Lees recently

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by CruisaC, Mar 15, 2013.

1. CruisaC

CruisaC Savant (280) Ohio Sep 3, 2010

Oldest I've ever had was 2001 and that was a couple of years ago. Picked up a couple of '99s this week and curious how they're drinking. It will be the oldest beer I've drank but it seems like a good one to practice with.
  2. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (310) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

fan-effing-tastic
  3. grumpy

grumpy Savant (405) Missouri May 24, 2005

As a matter of fact, just last Saturday. Had 1999 (bottle), 2005 (bottle), and 2010 (tap) side by side. 1999 was the clear winner. That said, I reallly think '99 may be optimal right now, if not starting to head downhill. Hard to say, as I had not opened one in a long time, but based on the current flavor profile, I can't see how it could improve.
  4. CruisaC

CruisaC Savant (280) Ohio Sep 3, 2010

thanks for the input; I should be cracking one of my two bottles soon :)
  5. '99 is my least favorite of the older ones, to be honest.

It's still a great beer and miles better than any Lees Harvest with less than 5 years on it, but in the '98-'03 vertical I did recently, the '99 was my least favorite. And it wasn't specific to the bottle, because I've had it 3 or 4 times over the years.

But like I said, it is still delicious and it could very well be at its peak right now.