1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone had Storm King lately?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GardenWaters, Dec 15, 2012.

1. I was excited when I stumbled upon it last night when looking for something else. I hadn't had it for about a year and was suprised when I cracked one open. The first thing I noticed was the blast of hops that immediately hit my nose. That was odd, I dont ever remember this IS being a hop bomb. The second thing I noticed was that it poured much like a soda, being that it was semi transparent and had that caramel color to it. I remember this stuff being black as night. Though it tasted phenomenal, I was confused as to what I was drinking. Didn't remind me of an IS at all, but rather an extremely hopped-up strong ale. It was a completely different experience than I remember. Did they change the recipe?
  2. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I have always thought of Storm King as a hoppy beer. It is certainly one of the more bitter RIS' I have had, and this is probably attributed to the butt-load of bittering hops added to the boil.
  3. I had a Storm King a few weeks ago; it was very hoppy as per usual. Fresh Storm King is always very hoppy (in a bittering and flavor/aroma way).

Maybe the last Storm King you had was old? Storm King does age well: Victory provides a best by timeframe of 4-5 years for this beer. I have aged Storm King for 1-2 years. I enjoyed the aged versions but they lose the hops with that amount of aging.

Cheers!
    gcamparone likes this.
  4. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Depending on how fresh there is a ton of hop flavor in storm king. Delicious fresh or aged IMO. Also a steal since it is in sixers.
  5. Yeah, I probably never had it as fresh in the past. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the best by date was 2020.

6. Victory provides a 5 year “enjoy by” date for Storm King. A beer brewed this year (2012) will have an “enjoy by” date in 2017.

1 year "enjoy by" date:
    Yakima
    Hop Wallop
    Whirlwind
    Sunrise Weissbier
    Moonglow Weizenbock
    St. Victorious
    St. Boisterous
    Baltic Thunder

3 year "enjoy by" date:
    Golden Monkey

5 year "enjoy by" date:
    Old Horizontal
    Storm King

Cheers!
    x37x and Gash like this.
  7. Morey

Morey Advocate (525) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

It's always super hoppy IMO...even aged.
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  8. I have had some within the last few weeks. Yup, super hoppy for a stout, which is why I love it!
  9. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Surprised by the color you noted, as it does pour pitch black. But yeah, as everyone mentioned, it's a very hoppy stout for sure. Leans closer to BIPA to me
  10. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

Oh good to know the 5 year old Old Horizontal I have is still up to par, and +1 to Storm King being more hoppy then most IS's
  11. Storm King for me is a hop stout monster. Although I am an insane hop head, I prefer an Imp Stout that is less hop forward
    Schwantz likes this.
  12. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I find Victory to be fairly hop forward as a brewery. My favorite so far has been Smokin' Oat Stout.
  13. x37x

x37x Aficionado (150) Wisconsin Oct 21, 2012

Storm King gets extremely bitter with age... I still have two left in my fridge from about a year ago, and I'll probably use it in beer bread to be honest. But I'll try a sip or two first!
  14. That was my first thought.
  15. Yes, after taking another look, enjoy by date is 2017. The ones I had last year were to be enjoyed by 2012, so they were at least four years old. Probably explains why they taste so different. Either way, I love this beer! Wish I could find some more Hop Wallop.
  16. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Had a VSK the other day, i found it to be a bit thin for an RIS but it did have a good bitterness to it( I would not call it a hop bomb by any means) . I would buy it again.
    Vonstein15 likes this.
  17. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

That will be some pretty intense bread.
  18. Griddler

Griddler Initiate (15) Dec 15, 2012

Victory stopped bottle conditioning their Storm King Stout around a year and a half ago...despite the fact that the bottles and cases are marked for 5 years. Therefore it's shelf life is 5 months, just like many of their other beers. However, given the high among of hops added it will probably keep for a few months past five.
  19. freyguy10

freyguy10 Zealot (90) New York Jan 16, 2011

Havent had Storm King lately but Dark Intrigue ( Storm King aged in Bourbon Barrels ) is drinking real nice now. Just had one recently.
  20. calcnerd

calcnerd Savant (410) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2009

Had a storm king from the brewery the other week. It's always okay. I'm not a huge fan but they didn't have anything else great on tap.
  21. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Hmm. Yakima Glory in a Storm King bottle / label?
  22. Opinions, and results, vary when it comes to cellaring non-bottle-conditioned beers (one of the longest-brewed and most frequently cellared beers, Samichlaus, is not BC and is even pasteurized) but the lack of bottle conditioning alone would not make the "shelf life" of a 9.1% imperial stout go from 5 years to 5 months by most brewers nor for most people who enjoy cellared beers.
    Gosox8787 and fmccormi like this.
  23. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

I remember reading Garrett Oliver saying that Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout is pasteurized, I believe, and in his opinion its ability to improve with age actually increased quite a bit after making the change a few years back.

Whatever they do with it, I think it's pretty tasty.
  24. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Just had it last night. Definitely a hoppy beer with all the trappings of an imperial stout; viscous, oil black, roast flavors, licorice, dark fruits. Very much a stout. It sounds like you weren't drinking Storm King at all lol.
  25. Bingo. Riddle solved. Your first experience with Storm King seems to have been some aged bottles.
    I agree with the consensus here.
    Storm King is very Hoppy
    Storm King cellars very well.

I hope this has motivated you to get some more and begin a vertical. also try one at an annual interval to note the differences. Enjoy. What's funny is that I really enjoy the beer and just haven't had one in quite a while. Perhaps this thread just sold another sixer for Victory. God bless suggestive selling... Cheers
  26. A vertical...... now there's an idea! Plus an excuse to buy more. The hard part will be trying to keep them though ;).
  27. I shared a few bottles of 8-year-old Old Horizontal with friends and everyone loved it! There was a lot of sediment, though, so there wasn't as much as we'd have liked.
    dickieb likes this.
  28. Any of their Braumeister Pils and the casked Uncle Teddy's Bitter always make a trip to Victory worthwhile. The bitter is a particular favorite of mine: besides UTB, I've never tasted an American interpretation of the style that comes close to what you get in England.
  29. Storm King is heavily alcoholic, hopped up, and hot. I find it to be best at about three or four years.
    gkatsoris likes this.
  30. protip: blend storm hing and hop wallop
    gkatsoris likes this.
  31. They do Hop Devil and Storm King at Victory.
  32. Lex_Talionis

Lex_Talionis Aficionado (110) Dec 13, 2012

Its way to hoppy for an Imperial stout.

Its good but was more like a black ipa than a stout.
  33. Sesmu

Sesmu Savant (290) Massachusetts Feb 28, 2007

As I understand, it's 3 years now. At least this is what I saw with the latest batch, second half of 2012. And the "enjoy by" is not on a label anymore, but etched on the neck.

Although if anybody has a different explanation, I'd like to hear.
  34. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Always been a hop bomb...and thus always been strongly disliked by moi.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  35. I strongly disagree with this point. Your first part, however, yeah.
    Age it three years. It's great.
  36. The bottles I have state: "Enjoy by Sep 4 2017" etched on the neck.
  37. x37x

x37x Aficionado (150) Wisconsin Oct 21, 2012

I did make beer bread with an old Storm King a couple months ago, and it was delicious of course, but not even close to being as strong as the loaf I made at the same time, with an old Hopslam! :)
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  38. Its definitely hoppy and pitch black. Too hot for only 9% though. Old Rasputin shits all over it.
  39. That's what I was thinkin. Not quite, but getting close. If I'm in the mood for a true stout, I'll choose something different.

That being said, I have only had the new ones. Looks like my last couple are going in the cellar.
  40. maximumu13

maximumu13 Aficionado (185) Ohio Aug 31, 2010

I had a year old storm king, along with a year old dark intrigue recently. The hops did fade considerably but I can't say I really thought either was great.