1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone hate Dark Lord but like the BA Dark Lords?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by AlexFields, Jan 15, 2013.

1. AlexFields

AlexFields Advocate (550) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

I have only had regular Dark Lord, which I thought was disgusting and drain poured, and haven't tried any of the variations--it never occurred to me to bother tracking one down given how much I disliked the base beer. But people keep talking about how good some of the variations are (especially Brandy Vanilla) and obviously they are very highly related. Is there anyone who shares my opinion that regular Dark Lord is really bad, but has tried and liked one or more of the barrel aged variations?

I seriously doubt I'd be talked into trying to trade for one of these no matter what answers I get here, I'm mainly just curious as to whether some barrel aging or an added ingredient can make such a radical difference in a beer that the same person could strongly dislike the untreated version and really like the treated one.

2. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Everyone who toes the party line has these feels.

jegross2 and omniscientcause like this.
  3. Isn't this everyone?

claaark13, OneBeertoRTA and funhog like this.
  4. I prefer Pappy 46.

5. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

I think they both suck:)

6. I think Dark Lord is alright in moderation. The Cognac barrel aged was fantastic, however.

7. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

On draft, excellent. Out of the bottle, too sweet IMO.

8. AlexFields

Are the BA versions just totally different? Are they not recognizable as the same beer? I just have a hard time imagining how anything I literally can't bring myself to finish 4 ozs of could be transformed into a fantastic beer by some time in a barrel.

9. We did a 2006-2012 vertical plus the Vanilla Bourbon. The only one I enjoyed was the barrel aged one. I just simply do not like Dark Lord. The barrel aged versions I have had have been really amazing though. The best was at Dark Lord Day in 2011 the Oak aged vs Vanilla and then blending them.

Dontcounttoday and dmeadows like this.
  10. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Argh, some snarky comment about 1st-world problems or some other comment on how you can send me your BA Dark Lords so that I can confirm your findings.

11. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Aficionado (230) Indiana Jan 24, 2006

I don't know (haven't tried the variations yet), but I do know I've had dark lords (standard) that I thought were overly sweet/completely nasty and I've had ones I thought were great. Sometimes it's the same vintage, fresh they've generally been not so good, but with a couple years they have mellowed into something I can enjoy. Or it could completely be my palate doing tricks on me. Interesting question though, I can't think of any barrel aged beers I've had that I disliked in it's original form but liked with barrel aging, but I do know I've had a couple that were worse after barrel aging...

12. I think regular Dark Lord is the most overrated beer I've ever had. Simply put, it was awful. I couldn't get through 1/3 of the bottle.

13. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

My buddy told me the Pappy variation was good, but he likes regular DL and I don't. Either way, I wouldn't trade for one in any case.

14. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

Yes, regular DL sucks, all the haters can send me any bottles they have and I will "dispose" of them...

baker2gs and HoodooOperator like this.
  15. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Post like these have me lmao.
    Drain poured Dark Lord. Are you that cool! Lmao

Epic fail!

dman5400, ChugLife and HoodooOperator like this.
  16. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

All of the 2012 BA variants were leaps and bounds ahead of any non-BA Dark Lord I have ever had.

From my experience, the barrels do more for Dark Lord than any other stout I have ever tried.

17. miketd

Is it inconceivable to you that someone would drain pour Dark Lord, or are you just annoyed somebody posted it online? I don't feel "cool"(and actually hate wasting beer), but I have dumped a nearly full bottle myself.

18. Casedogg43

I personally find it entertaining that you would "drain pour" a whale. Yes I do. Absolutely.
    Saying you didn't like it, or it didn't match you taste etc, Is more normal.
    To say you drain poured it = looking for attention and a bit dramatic IMO.

Don't you have any friends that might have enjoyed a taste? Or you just decide to crack a DL at the house by yourself tonight??!
    Why wouldn't you save it for someone else to try?! Call a BA over?
    Do you not have any friends that enjoy great beer?!

Lmao a bit more!

ChugLife likes this.
  19. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I love Darklord. Never tried a variation though.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  20. AlexFields

It wasn't my bottle actually and we shared it among four of us. All of us thought it was awful, none of us wanted to drink more than a few sips, so we poured it out and drank something better.

21. Had 2 vintages of the regular and liked them though i preferred the one that had a few years age on it. Never tried the BA-versions and probably never will though they do sound delish.

22. Casedogg43

It's all good! Thanks for the entertainment on this Monday night!

23. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Everyone hates Dark Lord now. It's the cool thing to do!

In all seriousness, the more recent vintages have been subpar (especially the 2012), but I found the 2010 to be enjoyable fresh and aging poorly, with the 2011 the exact opposite, as the bottle I had back in May was really nice. However, the only Dark Lord that even comes close to being on the same level as most of the barrel aged variants was the 2008 in its prime. The 2012 Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord might be my favorite bottled beer of all time. Then again, I like to chew my stouts, if possible.

24. miketd

I went to darklord day, bought bottles, opened one up by myself, hated it, drain poured, gave the rest away to friends. BTW, Dark Lord isn't even a "whale", or any other stupid term you want to apply to rare beer.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  25. Whale…now you got me lolleying

LMAYO!

FUNKPhD, Grohnke and detroiter like this.
  26. AlexFields

Mark, that's interesting because the 2010 is the vintage I had relatively fresh and thought was disgusting. In all fairness I still haven't had 08 or the earlier vintages that people say are better.

27. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

That's too bad. Really after 2008 none of them were overly impressive, and the last couple 2008s I had were definitely on the wrong side of 40, which was so sad to see. Just out of curiosity, how "relatively" fresh did you have the 2010? If I recall, it really starting getting weird around the one year mark.

Shagtastic likes this.
  28. Pecan

Pecan Savant (445) California Dec 20, 2012

Comparing the regular to the BA, the BA did a LOT for them. That being said, I loved both versions.

I can see how someone could not adore DL, but a drain pour? That just comes across as ridiculous and dramatic in my opinion. Either way, I'll go ahead and jump on that "I can dispose of that for you...." bandwagon.

29. AlexFields

I don't remember exactly but definitely less than six months after the release.

30. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Is this a serious thread? I can't tell for this one.

baker2gs and FUNKPhD like this.
  31. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I dislike regular DL a lot (sickening sweet imho), I've had PVW (It was ok, but it still tasted a lot like DL, with a little bourbon in it), Vanilla Bean DL (Really good), Oak Aged DL (it was decent).

32. I think that's every BA you just described!

33. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

I don't hate Dark Lord. I actually like it pretty well. (I just don't make a grab for my ankles when I'm looking to trade). Having said that, I have been wanting to try some of the BA variants. For a while I was trying to land an older Oaked. But Since people seemed to expect 4 Black Tuesdays, and a case of Pliny( or Heady) plus my 1st child in trade for 1 bottle of said DL...Maybe 1 day.:rolleyes:

34. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (590) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I'm gonna go back to my original comment that most BA's prefer more bitter RIS' (I don't know why). Dark Lord is sweet. Plain and simple. And it's amazingly awesome. In comparison I'll take narwhal over FIS any day.

35. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

For whatever reason the barrels fill in all of the holes in a rather mediocre RIS. You get the bourbon and the oak, but then the DL sweetness, instead of tasting like soy sauce, instead changes to a chocolate fudge brownie. If you want to know what BA Dark Lord tastes like, and dont want to give up your cellar, trade for a Murda'd Out Stout. Simply incredible.

36. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Sucks so bad thousands of people wait hours to buy it. Seriously though I'm with Mark. It amazes me how people come out of the woodwork to shit on this beer. While not my favorite beer I enjoyed it quite a bit because I knew what I was getting into. If you put it on a pedestal you'll be disappointed.

Casedogg43 likes this.
  37. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

We opened a 2012 at a recent tasting and none of us wanted a 2nd taste so I brought what was left to my local bar and the bartenders did not want a 2nd taste so we offfered it up to any patrons and they also did not want a 2nd taste..... Green apples!

Casedogg43, miketd and evilc like this.
  38. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

I think a vast majority go to DL Day for the bottle share in line and all day long, meeting new BAs, trading with BAs and others, the food and bands, and also the trading potential for DarkLord allows you to score other beers you have always wanted to try and last but certainly not least some people really like the taste of Darklord ...just not me this year...

39. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

This is from acetaldehyde right?

40. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (530) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

I've hated every regular DL that I've had.

However:

[​IMG]

When that BB Vanilla was shared, I expected it to cause instant diabetic coma. It was however, IMO, FAR better than the base beer. It wasn't as sweet (for some weird reason) and the vanilla helped bring things together.