Anyone have experience shipping large quantity of beer internationally?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tacosandbeer, Jul 30, 2012.

1. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Looking for anyone with first-hand knowledge and experience shipping beer, specifically from Europe to the US, about 100-200 bottles at a time. If you've done it, or have useful information, BM me. Thanks.

2. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (890) California Jan 15, 2009

Please! Be very careful and ask questions from your shipper FIRST! Otherwise, you can be in for a big surprise. I was a bit cavalier and really paid for it. One of my favorite beers in the world is Rittenguts Gose, not available here and never talked about. I found a great guy in Berlin who sent me 6 bottles, plus a few other German "unavailables." He later made a comment that it cost him with his shipper roughly $100 to ship about 8-9 bottles to me. I felt bad for him, UNTIL I GOT MY BILL FROM FEDEX!

I sent him an assortment of Russian River "...tion" beers and a bottle or two of Bruery beers. I think I sent him about 8-9 bottles and I used FedEx, just packing it up and using my FedEx account number. I filled out the appropriate paperwork (not hard; labeled "collectible glassware") and sent it off. Hey, how much could it cost I figured? One box of beer. No big deal. WRONG!

I got the bill in my next billing cycle and it was $272! Wow. However, having not checked, I could only blame myself and I REALLY TRIED TO ENJOY those bottles! Over with FedEx? No, not so lucky.

3-4 MONTHS later I got a $30.00 charge that I could not explain. However, a few days later I got a letter from FedEx informing me that there was another $30.00 due on the Germany shippment for some kind of tax or duty!! I.e., we call that "salt in the wound."

So, a long story for a short point - check with your carrier before you do anything!

Note: (I get beer from Europe all the time and I believe that there are ways to ship much cheaper than FedEx. Also, my boxes are generally labled "Collectible Glassware." One time, I got a shipment of "Yeast Samples." For real.....)

3. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Your numbers sound right for the amount of beer you shipped. UPS would have cost more. I wouldn't use either for shipping the numbers I'm talking about. Moving a few boxes at a time when traveling is not working out. :(

4. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (890) California Jan 15, 2009

Oh, and correction ...it's Dolnitzer Ritterguts Gose, I believe is the proper full name....just in case anyone has some!

5. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

UMMMMMMM, you use USPS not Fed Ex or UPS.