1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone in Rochester, MN?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Bond111, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

Hello Advocates,

I just moved up to Rochester from Iowa, and am big into craft beer. Being from a smaller town(25,000) in Iowa there wasn't any real true craft beer heads around. Anyone do any group tastings around here or anything like that?

What are all the good places to have a drink here? Been to Whistle Binkies North location a few times, and they have a limited selection of good beer on tap, but still better than the usual 4 I'm used to always seeing back down in Iowa locally(bud/BL/Amberbock, MGL) and they have a pretty good bottle selection though too.

2. aliving1

aliving1 Savant (275) Minnesota Aug 3, 2011

There are a few of us from the Roch area and I am not real active here. I don't go out to drink much, but Binkies has the largest selection and does get limited beers in from time to time. Most places will have a mix of macro and craft. Maybe some of the other members may be more help, but craft on tap in Rochester is really disappointing IMO.

3. Craft on tap is hit or miss at times. Both the Whistle Binkies North and "Lake" locations aren't bad. Bell's did a stout tasting event with 4 of their stouts on tap over the winter. New Belgium had an event as well. They also get hopslam and darkness on tap. Wild Bill's Saloon which just opened actually has a pretty good selection of craft. I believe they had ~10 taps dedicated. They had a couple Deschutes, Dark Hourse, Lucette out of WI, Surly, Summit, Central Waters. There is a new place called the Taphouse opening soon downtown. Not a lot of info on it and their FB page is pretty limited.

As far as stores, expect to get pretty good access to limited releases (without having to sell your soul) just not at the same time as the Cities or the actual release date. For example, KBS didn't hit the shelves until the week after the official release. However, I didn't have any problem picking up a four pack.

If you don't mind driving, Roch it is about 50min to Lacrosse where you can pick up New Glarus and some other WI beers that don't distribute in MN. You can also hit the cities' southern suburbs (another ~50min) and pick up Stone and Great Divide which don't make it to Roch.

Cap N Cork by the South Hy-Vee has a great singles selection as does the Apollo North by Gander Mountain. Andy's South has a good selection of Belgian and English beers.

Welcome to Roch. Land of the WFMC and at times not much else.

Cheers