1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anyone know what going on at Kuhnhenn?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by mtrog313, May 7, 2012.

1. mtrog313

mtrog313 Member

So the rumor was going around that they sold out of BB4D bottles on Saturday. I called up there on Sunday and was told that they have a lot of bottles left. And I know a guy that went up and bought some last night as well. When I went in there today, I was told they sold out on Saturday. But then was told they may do a special release in a month or so. Anyone know what is actually going on?

And if they really are sold out, I'm ISO 2 bottles.
  2. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Maybe they are holding some back for their Summer Solstice party?
  3. genuinedisciple

genuinedisciple Member

Hope so, cause I'll be there :)
  4. vivasbeer

vivasbeer Member

My buddy went in on Saturday and picked up what he was told is "the last case" and he was lucky.

He said they mentioned something about saving what's left for special events.

I called earlier to confirm, and so I could tell my buddy to save me half his case because I was down to 2 bottles.
    They confirmed, its GONE!! The next batch is already brewed, but won't be bottled until November/December
  5. Steimie

Steimie Member

Yep, I saw a question about B4D availability posted to their Facebook page either Saturday night or Sunday morning and they replied that it is gone.
  6. mtrog313

mtrog313 Member

Damn. If anyone in Metro Detroit area has a couple bottles to spare, I am looking for two. Not sure what I have that nobody else is/was able to get but I do have 4 bottles of Aww Jeah and multiples of Huma X or Anniversary if anyone is wasn't able to make it up to the Shorts Anniversary Party.
  7. Jose2412

Jose2412 Member

I was there Sunday after the Tigers game and asked to buy a few bottles of BB4d. He hemmed and hawed saying he thinks they have one bottle left. I said I wanted at least 4 and he came from the back said they found a bunch and I was able to buy 4 bottles. They seemed pretty dusty.
  8. mtrog313

mtrog313 Member

Something's up because I know someone that bought bottles on Sunday night for sure too. They must be holding back, probably for solstice like was said early in this thread.
  9. BeRanger

BeRanger Member

They had found a few extra cases on Sunday but now are out again.
    I was in the same boat trying to buy some when I was picking up the special mead of the day.
  10. wintbs379

wintbs379 Member

I went on Friday and got 2 different answers from 2 bartenders about the availability, thankfully I got out of there with 2 six packs.
  11. HurricaneDitka

HurricaneDitka Member

I bought a case last Wednesday, and was told they were getting down to under 3 cases total left for sale... so this sounds about right. I imagine they'll be sitting on some bottles for special events, etc.
  12. steebo777

steebo777 Member

This is Kuhnhenns we're talking about. The brothers don't even know half of what they have. The 'back' is just piles of stuff everywhere.
  13. elephantrider

elephantrider Member

This guy speaks the truth.
  14. a74gent

a74gent Member

Steebo beat me to it. I was going to say..sounds about as half-baked and misinformed as any time I've tried to get bottles or go to an event there. Kuhnhenn - Homebrewers in need of a business manager.
  15. birchholz

birchholz Member

I picked up two bottles at around 9:30p on Sunday night.
  16. LiquidTable

LiquidTable Member

That's a bit much and quite offensive.
    There may be some disorganization, but that comment I believe crossed a line. I don't know any homebrewers in need of a business manager who are able to win a Gold Medal in the IPA category at World Beer Cup.

And not just to you, but to all on this thread: if you have so many complaints, why do you keep going back? If you really do have concerns or constructive criticism, why not offer it to Bret in person, rather than typing it on here? Seems to me that would be a better solution...
    BoneyardBrewer and Knifestyles like this.
  17. sarcastro

sarcastro Member

How does this medal prove they are good at running a business? It proves they are good brewers.

Because they like the beer, and like to complain.
    TheMonk41 and steebo777 like this.
  18. LiquidTable

LiquidTable Member

The wbc medal proves they are not "hombrewers."
    And the fact that they turn a profit and are currently expanding production with a rather low debt to income ratio proves they can run a business.
  19. steebo777

steebo777 Member

I never felt I was being offensive in the slight bit. I said they don't know half of what they have in the back, which has been said to me personally by both brothers multiple times. I also said the 'back' is just piles of stuff everywhere, which is a very true statement if you've ever been in the back.

Kuhnhenns brews stellar beer, they just need a little organization. I'm pretty sure even you would agree with this.
  20. sarcastro

sarcastro Member

I didn't say they couldn't run a business. They are unorganized, but it obviously isnt a major problem. I just didnt see the connection to the medal.

And as a "homebrewer", I am a little offended at the idea that home brew is inherently worse than production beer.
    I bet there is always "homebrew" out there that is better than any one specific professional beer, and could win these medals.
    steebo777 likes this.
  21. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Member

Personally, I think that this is all a part of Kuhnhenn's charm. While they're certainly not the most refined brewery, there's still a certain down-to-earth vibe about them. Regardless of what people think of their business practices, they still make absolutely incredible beers.

I like the idea that one of the best BBBW's ever oftentimes comes in a bottle where the label is completely wrinkled and topped off with a cap that inexplicably reads "ALABAMA". I think that's kind of amazing.
    vivasbeer and BOBPINCH666 like this.
  22. punkrkr27

punkrkr27 Member

Oh goody. More craft beer newbies. This is just how Kuhnhenn's operates. Always have and probably always will. I've personally talked to both Bret and Eric before and asked them why they are this way. His answer was pretty much, "We just don't care. We enjoy where we are at and what we do and have no real desire to change it." This not bashing them at all. As steebo777 and others have stated it's just how things are with them. They make fantastic beer, and that's why we all keep going back, but the chaos and confusion will always be a part of the experience.
    Knifestyles likes this.
  23. LiquidTable

LiquidTable Member

If you read back, I said the other poster's comment was offensive, I do agree with you about the disorganization.
    A homebrewer cannot win one of these medals, because it is the World Beer Cup.
    If you want to take offense as a homebrewer, so be it. I have been an amateur brewer/homebrewer for ten years.
    The difference is homebrewers are amateurs and hobbyists, no matter how serious and talented. I have tasted amazing homebrew that is on par or better than many commercial examples.
    Conversely, professional brewers are just that: professional.
    The original comment made it sound like they are amateurs.
  24. LiquidTable

LiquidTable Member

Is this directed at me?
  25. sarcastro

sarcastro Member

Thanks. You know what I meant, at least I would hope so.
  26. mike409

mike409 Member

so whats the diffrence between the 2 besides one had the financial ability to buy a building and get a liquor license
  27. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Member

Yay, let's get upset about semantics and a silly comment!
  28. mike409

mike409 Member

And for the damn record they have bb4d I am here now
  29. Jose2412

Jose2412 Member

Are you an employee? If not I really dont understand your need to defend the brewery on an internet fourm. If you are an employee you need some thicker skin.

In the meantime, please fill out this form and we will be looking into the matter.

[​IMG]
    Holland, bradner and punkrkr27 like this.
  30. mike409

mike409 Member

He is not an employee. I am up at kuhnhenn and showed some of the guys and kSR and they think it's funny and to prove steebos point they stumbled. Across a bunch more 4d in the clutterd back so have a pill and chilllllllllll buddddyyyyyyyyy
  31. LiquidTable

LiquidTable Member

Wow. You dayposters really are arrogant and courageous behind the keyboard aren't you.
    Self-righteousness must feel really good.
    I thought this was Beer ADVOCATE.
    Aren't we supposed to have friendly and constructive discourse on the subject of better beer?
    What did the last several posters accomplish? Seems to me this has gone way off track.
  32. mike409

mike409 Member

I don't think anyone is arrogant you have had bad feelings on alot of threads and attacked well known stand up members of the community
  33. mike409

mike409 Member

And I am sitting at the bar at kuhnhenn if you want face to face
  34. LiquidTable

LiquidTable Member

I attacked no one. And there is no point to this, as I said in my last post.
  35. Jose2412

Jose2412 Member

Yea I think you need to lighten up just a bit. Remember you were the one who started the discussion about being offended by a comment on a forum post about how disorganized the brewery is. The discussion was friendly before your comment.
  36. elephantrider

elephantrider Member

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
    Jose2412 likes this.
  37. bierenutz

bierenutz Member

I gotta get over to Kuhnhenns now and have them crack me a supposedly sold out BA 4D into one of their nice snifters and watch this train wreck!!!
  38. TheMonk41

TheMonk41 Member

Drinking one at home right now that I bought Sunday night at 9:00pm ... 36 of them to be exact :)
  39. Mattmc1973

Mattmc1973 Member

I went into Kuhnhenn today for a growler, and asked the bartender if he could scare me up some BB4D. He said they were out, then said "I think I may have ONE more in the cooler here under the counter." He got me one and said that was it.
  40. mike409

mike409 Member

Ok ok ok so I just bought a case of BA 4d and had a very civil. Talk with liquid he is a very stand up guy and meant no harm he is as psssiont about kuhnhenn as we all are and I explained to him how good of people you guys all are.