1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anyone on here ever order beer from LetsPour.com?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteelCity75, Mar 28, 2013.

1. SteelCity75

SteelCity75 Member

I've never really thought about ordering beer online, they seem to have a decent amount of stuff that I've never tried that I've liked to. But I'm worried about packaging and freshness, and in some cases the pricing is a bit much. Anyone have any opinions on this website, or advice towards other websites that are similar?
  2. willbm3

willbm3 Member

I haven't because MA doesn't allow it. I wouldn't worry about packaging...if it gets damaged they will replace it. Buy 6 bombers of something you can't get at home and enjoy. Are you willing to pay a few dollars extra per bomber to get stuff you can't buy delivered to your door?
  3. randjuke

randjuke Member

I've ordered from them with no problems. Obviously they roll the cost of shipping into their prices, which are pretty high. It really just depends what the beer is worth to you.
  4. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Member

I ordered once had no issues
    HOTD was flat and I let them know about it .
    They credited the cost of the bottle towards my next order.
  5. draheim

draheim Member

Wow, that's pretty surprising. Given HOTD's track record w/ carbonation this was almost surely not Letspour's fault.
    I've ordered two or three times with no issues, except that I keep forgetting that someone 21+ has to sign for the package and I keep shipping the box to my house, where nobody is during the day. Customer service is top-notch.
    beerme411 likes this.
  6. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Member

I've ordered from them a few times without issue. They provide a fantastic service.
  7. Brodie91

Brodie91 Member

I ordered once for some cigar city jai alai and white oak aged jai alai. The jai alai's were canned only 2 weeks prior to me getting them. Couldn't have asked for anything better
  8. SteelCity75

SteelCity75 Member

I'll probably order something in the future when I've got a better financial situation, thanks guys!
  9. BKBassist

BKBassist Member

I've not used letspour, but I used France44 to get some midwest stuff I don't get out here (Surly, Bells, Odell). Worked well and pricing was very reasonable, even with shipping (I made a large order), it wasn't out of line with what I pay in NYC bottle shops.
    griffeyb and Bitterbill like this.
  10. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo BA Site Editor Staff Member

Two recent threads on this topic:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/lets-pour-pricing.58218/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/lets-pour-freshness.78012/
  11. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Member

I just took some random guy's advice and bought two cans of 21st Amendment Marooned On Hog Island via LetsPour. What pissed me off was how it says the price includes shipping, yet at checkout they magically added an extra 20 or so.
    MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  12. mrcraft

mrcraft Member

Yeah, when you buy from LetsPour, you need to buy 6 or more bottles/cans to get the "free" shipping, otherwise, you'll basically be paying double shipping - one for the inflated per unit cost + $20 shipping fee.

I usually buy 6 of something I can't get locally, so they don't tack on the extra $20 for shipping. When I add everything up, I think it's a wash whether I trade or buy from LetsPour. Of course, trading is more fun, but it can get addicting and expensive though.

One plus for me, is that they use good quality pulp shippers that I re-use for my trades which saves me a few bucks down the road.
  13. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Member

Cool, thank you, I will definitely remember that for next time I order anything from them.
    olivermonster likes this.
  14. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Member

Ordered once from LP and had great results. As mentioned they are pricey if you don't take advantage of the free shipping, which requires 6 bottles from the SAME shipping location. They ship from Washington and Florida and it can be a tad frustrating to find six beers then realize you aren't free shipping eligible because half ship from FLA and the other half from WASH.

I see its best use in finding limited release stuff. Ordered some La Folie and Iron Throne from them today after striking out pretty much everywhere in Kansas City.
  15. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

LP is a reputable company, but there are a lot of others I'd buy from first
  16. thegodfather1076

thegodfather1076 Member

I have ordered from them once and had a great experience...the beer was packaged very nicely and was all fine when I got it....It is a great site because it affords you the chance to get ur hands on stuff u otherwise wouldnt be able to.
  17. shawnohall

shawnohall Member

From who else? Is there another site out there more reasonably priced than LP?
  18. cavedave

cavedave Member

19. MichiganderHB

MichiganderHB Member

If you live where it snows/bitterly cold in the winter, do not order anything with a low ABV that might freeze and explode out of the bottle....but if you do, they credit your account. Other than that, I have nothing more to add than what has already been said. I'm cool with them.
  20. regularjohn

regularjohn Member

i would but they don't ship to jersey :mad: i got all stoked with the $10 coupon thing from the spin when you first sign up for the site but then everything i clicked i was all :(
  21. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

I have ordered from them and never had any issues. Also, from when they first started and had like eight beers available, they've stepped their game up tremendously.
  22. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Member

I've placed three or four orders with them, all of it a very smooth process. Their stuff is pricey, but again, if you're buying the six bottles/cans to get the free shipping, it's very much worth it to me to be able to get stuff that doesn't distribute to Michigan (Bruery, Firestone, Cigar City, etc.)

EDIT: Also, as an added bonus (and I think someone else mentioned it above) you get fantastic shipping supplies for trades between the box itself and the pulped bottle holders.
  23. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Member

Yes, three or four times. The high price/free shipping thing works out ok to get stuff not sold near where I live. Only glitch was one can of TenFidy popped/ leaked in route back in December. I need to pay more attention to weather. That box did smell nice, though.
  24. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Member

I'm still waiting on my order from them, so I'll be interested to see how well they pack the beer. People at UPS don't exactly treat packages with kindness and delicacy.
  25. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Member

As mentioned earlier, they use something that is basically designed to ship 750mL bottles. Basically, it keeps all the bottles separate from each other so that there is no glass-on-glass impact, AND they are shaped in a way that makes shifting near impossible. So it would require an incredibly violent impact to break a bottle.

This picture (showing the holders with 12 bottles) gives you the basic idea:
    [​IMG]
    jgluck likes this.
  26. Steeeve

Steeeve Member

I got some as a gift for Christmas, and everything was relatively fresh. I don't think any of the bottles I got were dated but nothing seemed outwardly stale. The IPAs still had some pop to them. I'd guess they were around 3 months old.

The packaging it comes in is awesome. You shouldn't worry about anything breaking, and if it does, I heard they have excellent service so they'll probably replace it.
  27. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Member

Ahh, nice. Clever username, by the way. ;)
    LambicPentameter likes this.
  28. henryspam

henryspam Member

Ordered 6 Southern Tier Pumking with free shipping from them once. Turned out to be around $9 per bottle. I am pretty sure you can find them cheaper in your local beer store in upstate new york. Now that I live in bay area, I'd have to say $55 for 6 bottles of pumking shipped to california is pretty neat.

Aaaaaand the box they used was pretty neat. I saved it up mine for any upcoming beer trade involving precious cargo.
  29. MartyJones12

MartyJones12 Member

We have just begun using Letspour to ship our Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout and other Wynkoop canned goods. They have been great, our beer goes from us to their local shipper and out the door to customers within a few days.

MJ
    Wynkoop Brewing
    LuisQ, Jeremy6566 and clarkw42 like this.
  30. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Member

Just put in my first order from letspour:

Date Ordered:
    April 17th, 2013 10:50
    Bell's Special Double Cream Stout
    Two Bonus Beers
    Bell's Third Coast Old Ale
    Bell's Smitten Golden Rye Ale
    Bell's Porter
    Bell's Expedition Stout
    Bell's Amber Ale
    Bell's Kalamazoo Stout
    Two Cans ~ Cigar City Brewing Maduro Brown Ale
    Two Cans ~ Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai IPA
    Two Cans ~ Cigar City Florida Cracker White Ale
    Two Cans ~ Cigar City Hotter Than Helles Lager
    Anyone get bonus beers before? Have an idea on what I should expect, or is it random? 17 beers I can't get on the West coast for $62 w/ shipping? I couldn't pass that up.
  31. Big_V

Big_V Member

A little overpriced but free shipping. Here's my latest haul from letspour. Minus the sucks. The Double Jack wasn't fresh.
    [​IMG]
    Reggae4203 likes this.
  32. GrindFatherBob

GrindFatherBob Member

It's weird you got that far in the ordering process and missed the "$0 shipping on 6 or more bottles (mix or match any beer shipped from..." so and so location.
    deadliest likes this.
  33. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Member

Never made a big enough order to get the bonus beers. You'll have to come back and let us know what they were. :cool:
    Jeremy6566 likes this.
  34. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Member

I just got my third order from them yesterday that had some awesome Jai Alai canned on 4/3.
  35. MCDub

MCDub Member

I ordered an Enjoy by 4.20 before April. Thats fresh.
  36. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Member

FWIW, the Two Bonus Beers appeared after I put the first beer in my cart. If I had to guess, I'd say they've got some beers that are getting a bit old that they're looking to get rid of.
  37. GrindFatherBob

GrindFatherBob Member

Got a bonus beer once, nothing spectacular, but it was fresh and new. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22194/71259
    TheSixthRing likes this.
  38. stooge

stooge Member

I have ordered from them several times and am very pleased. As others have said, order enough to qualify for the free shipping to keep costs down. Their packaging is top notch, and I always save it for future use. I've never ordered more than 6 bottles at a time, so not sure about the bonus beers.
  39. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Member

Hmm, so maybe these will be from local, lesser known breweries looking to make a name by giving product to letspour for wide distribution? It would make sense.
  40. GrindFatherBob

GrindFatherBob Member

Yeah, I didn't even see the one I got on their inventory when ordering.