1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone seen any out-and-out bargains recently ???

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Folks,

Been a while since we discussed scrooge-level pricing. Having seen Young's Double Chocolate Stout for $3.50 at a local BWS, and Danno's just having one of the Hook Norton English 500ml series for $2.90 (sadly over), made me wonder if there are other readily-available bargains going on around the place?

Cheers,

2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

spicelab likes this.
  3. MrKennedy likes this.
  4. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I got some free Hop Hog...

None for anyone else though. It's ALLLLLL mine!

5. $3 dollars a bottle for Old Engine Oil a couple of months back - pretty happy to snap up a few of those.

MrKennedy likes this.
  6. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

MrKennedy likes this.
  7. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Picked up a Mikkeller Stella 0 Festival Edition 1.5 litre today. $65, so I'm guessing it was about 50% off.

Or in other terms $215 cheaper than buying the bottle at the Pumphouse Bar.

8. foles

foles Savant (420) Australia Jan 28, 2007

I'm wary of bargains because it usually means out of date. However my local BWS has trouble shifting any fresh craft it gets (i.e. Burleigh Black Coffee Lager, etc), so I lap them up at cheap prices.

9. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Picked up a bunch of those last year at $5 a pop from BWS. Real nice beer that struggles to sell.
    Have seen a few BWS try to do some selection of craft and it does not move. Bummer really

10. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

None of the stores I go to ever seem to discount desirable old stock. They just continue to overcharge for it which is the same reason it never sold in the first place...

machalel likes this.
  11. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

So true.

12. It's a tough task selling true craft to sophisticated beer drinkers who know they can buy the same beer from BWS somewhere else cheaper.

Hence, the only craft (if you can call it that) that can survive is LC, Maltilda Bay and James Squire because of its (pub) profile and ability to be aligned with big brewery discounting. There are exceptions though - Stone and Wood Draught Ale for instance.

I also should say that BWS may seem to never discount desirable old stock because they are simply too lazy and nonchalant about looking after their beer.

13. Paddy's Tout by Wychwood also at $4 at BWS. Danno's also bring in some Robinsons Old Tom variants at $5, which is better than elsewhere. Tho not the highly rated ones for some reason (!). And Jack Tar down to under $8 at Danno's now - someone on here predicted that but cannot recall who. Tripel Karmeliat (spelt?) at $6 at VC.

14. Speaking of BWS. I work at one on the Northern Beaches and were in the process of getting most of the range Dans has had (Karl Strauss Pintail, Big Eye, Bira del Borgo Duchessa/Reale/Cortigia, Stoke, Hook Norton + some others) so would assume this will be standard across most stores.

Not so much bargains atm, but they will be in the future when they get deleted.

15. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Beelzebub's Jewels @ $32 per bottle

16. damn you, i though i did well paying $38. also got murrays anniversary 5 & 6 for $28 each at carlisle