1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone seen Bell's the Oracle in Bottles Yet?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by kdmcguire10, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Bummer. Had a neighbor set to grab some this weekend. Oh, well. 'Start trolling beermenus for anyplace in Chicagoland that gets this.

2. Oracle is on tap in Chicago at Clark Street Ale House on Clark (der) south of Chicago Ave.

forrestbetts likes this.
  3. It's on tap at Firkin in Libertyville.

4. Dude, you get around more than Pippen

5. Okay, so it's been a little while since I've had FW Double Jack, but if I recall correctly, this years Oracle tastes very similar...Which, in my book, is a great thing! Oh, and bottles have landed in Ann Arbor, thanks for the heads up @iceicebaby

6. As of Monday Fabiano only has draft Oracle.

7. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Really? Double Jack is more an English DIPA than anything else -- balanced and a bit malty. I'd always heard Oracle was more over-the-top hops. Is this incorrect?

8. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

I went zombie dust, oracle, zombie dust on tap yesterday and the oracle just wrecked my palate for that second zombie dust.

9. crossovert

I disagree, it reminds me more of hoptimum

10. I'm trying to remember...but if I recall, Double Jack had a killer hop profile - citrusy & piney hops, with a bit of malt, but not over the top (I would personally not say it's an English DIPA). Again, it has been awhile and I didn't write notes down, but I can see the hoptimum comparison as well, even though I feel like Oracle is more complex.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  11. crossovert

along with like 9 other ipas and dipas

12. NSaad23

NSaad23 Aficionado (200) Michigan Dec 13, 2011

thanks for the info!

13. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Siciliano's just posted that they have some. $2.99 per bottle, 3 bottle limit.

14. StoutIrish

StoutIrish Savant (305) Indiana Jan 16, 2012

Tapping tonight at Dickie's in Fort Wayne

15. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Wish i would have made it to the brewery (never been) just to get a case of Oracle..so amazing

16. k, as luck would have it. I tried them side-by-side the other night:

Oracle's hops are more piney and the beer is more malty than Double Jack, they taste nothing like one another. Hoptimum is a much better comparison, even though, I still strongly believe that Oracle is a more complex and better beer. Double Jack is better than both. imo of course.

17. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Holiday in Royal Oak had some and is now out. Drinkin one now and am quite enjoying it.

18. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Haven't had them side by side but I thought Hoptimum was sweeter and/or less hoppy than Oracle. Oracle is a great balance for my palate.

19. Got one bottle, I guess better then nothing.

20. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Went through my small allotment by drinking 3 and sending one out as an extra in a trade. Sad panda.

Bottle limits blow. I hope Bells can make more next year with the expanded brewing capacity.

evilc likes this.
  21. From a guy who got none, no guess is needed. I'd like just one bottle. Last year I got one, the year before a sixer. So goes craft right now.

22. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Same here man got none. I expected it so not surprised at all. Oh well...ill remember it next time I'm at the store deciding between two hearted and crooked tree. I know who will get my money.

23. GrueLurks

GrueLurks Aficionado (190) Michigan Jul 21, 2008

I almost feel guilty getting two six packs. Almost. But some of those are for a trade and I did leave a couple bottles behind at a store in Lake Orion. As much as I love this beer I figured it would be good karma to leave some for somebody else.

24. GrueLurks

Famous Market in White Lake, MI. has a few bottles left. $4 each.

25. psykosis

psykosis Savant (320) Indiana May 21, 2009

BevCo in TC has a few six packs at $17 each, singles for $3 each.

26. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Anyone in WI seen this?

27. GrueLurks

Holiday Market in Canton had literally just put a 6 pack on the shelf this afternoon when I walked in. $4/bottle and were still there when I left at 6pm tonight.

28. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

....and you Sir are a Gentlemen and Scholar! In the fridge now - I am going to drink it palate fresh - ie NO BEER that day before it, for a proper experience! Thanks so much!

29. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Anytime, man. Hope you enjoy it. Bells just needs to make more of this brew, period.

And you know what? When Oktoberfest returns to bottles, they need to make more of that too.

30. Scrounged 6 bottles between 2 stores, so I'm good with that. And yes, they need to make more of this. The stuff's fantastic, and if they made it in the volume of Hopslam, that would be awesome.

31. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (495) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

In kzoo for the day, hit up several stores and called a few, no luck. Anyone know of a store in portage or kzoo that might have even just one sweet bottle?

32. Sad, but I was told from my local bottle shop that Bell's production was too low and we're not getting any here in WI.

33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

For you Wisconites, if you want to take a cruise, we have plenty of bottles at the Fitz in Eagle River, and we will tapping a keg this Thursday...along with a keg of Batch 10,000 on Friday at noon and Black Note at 8...just a thought.

SteveKotajarvi likes this.
  34. whodeyvols

whodeyvols Aficionado (165) Ohio Sep 2, 2012

If anyone is able to track some down in the Cincinnati area please let us know.

MajorBuckeye likes this.
  35. Zaphog

Zaphog Poobah (1,055) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

I finally got the call from my local bottle shop today; they have a case waiting for me! :D

36. crossovert

Got some in St. Joseph on monday.

37. Come on now, couldn't you have just lied :D to us and said you got the call that the greatest guy, you know live it up a little, at your local bottle shop and he has done an outstanding, once again living it up a little, job setting aside 2 or 3 bottles, downplaying the whole case thing. ha ha ha that'd make me feel "hey good for us, one victory." Instead, now I have nothing but jealousy - just kidding! Enjoy!!!

Zaphog likes this.
  38. NSaad23

NSaad23 Aficionado (200) Michigan Dec 13, 2011

Took Fabiano Brothers long enough!

Zaphog likes this.
  39. Thanks for reminding me, I've been wanting to pick some Oracle soon.

40. Who's so generous that they're selling you their allocation? I'm not sure any store got more than one case, a couple may have got two.