Anyone subscribe to BA magazine? Is it worth it?

Talk Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by BullDoza, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate-henry

nate-henry Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2014 Michigan

just bought a subscription for $9.99....i love beer

2. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Pooh-Bah (2,017) Aug 18, 2012 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Just got my first issue and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

3. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

Received my first issue the other day, went thru cover to cover. Not the best mag I've read, but as far as craft / beers mags go it's up there. @$10 a year for 12 issues it blows the shit out of the other mags at $~30 a year for 4:8 issues. Kinda a no brainer- well done bros.

4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I got my first issue yesterday, it more than worth the subscription price.

5. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I also got my first issue this week and it is well written, and thoughtful. I read a lot of local mags and they tend to be all "filler", that is weak ass content. The BA mag articles are actually relevant get to the points without all that other stuff I have been reading. Highly recommended and well worth the price of admission.

6. wcu80

wcu80 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Georgia
    Trader

I also got my first issue yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. kingston2

kingston2 Savant (1,013) Sep 14, 2008 Pennsylvania

Anxiously awaiting my first issue... I have no doubt it will be worth the money...

8. briang01

briang01 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2009 Maryland

I have no hesitation recommending it @ $9.99/yr. Got my first one yesterday.

9. JimKal

JimKal Savant (1,149) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

This may sound strange to you but I kind of enjoy the ads. And, that is, in itself, very different from how I feel about most ads. The ads tell me about new offerings from some breweries that I would like to try. This is one of the few print publications I still get but I'm hoping we will see a Zenio offering one day.

macesq likes this.
  10. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've reached out to Zinio several times, but they never reply. I'll try one more time, but based on this I'm not convinced that they're an ideal solution for us.

11. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Some of them, yes. However, the first thing I saw after browsing the cover yesterday was a full page Blue Moon ad. That kind of turned me off, but the rest of the magazine proved to be enjoyable. I'll be in Berkeley CA soon too... will make sure to visit The Rare Barrel and taste some of their wild ales.

Well worth the $10/year and looking forward to the next issue.

#71 Swettenham_Shire, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  12. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas
    Trader

I was also a little turned off by the ads after getting my first issue but like you I realized I paid $10 or $.80 an issue so it's really a steal. Also, I was very impressed by the fact that one of the first things I read was a piece about Session IPAs and why they aren't appealing in spite of the full page session IPA ad in the magazine. I realize that they have to appease companies that purchase ads but my first impression is that they don't pander to them (at least not completely). Overall a good magazine and at the cost of a sixer for a year subscription totally worth it!

13. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Glad you got that impression. We've never pandered to advertisers. We've literally turned away hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years, and lost accounts, due to our hardline between content and advertising.

14. BeerDazed

BeerDazed Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2014 Wisconsin

The $9.99/year subscription got me to bite, and I'm glad I did. Just received my first issue (#90) and am enjoying it very much so far. Ecuador story, 2nd Shift, Burnt Hickory, Beer reviews, and the Gyro Meat recipe...all very interesting and am already looking forward to the next issue. As far as the ads, I don't mind at all. I actually dig most of the artwork and it's good to see who and what else is out there - especially events too - as I travel a bit. On an artwork note...The Adroit Theory Brewing Co.'s visual for their B/A/Y/S Imperial Stout. Way cool.

15. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

<== enjoyed the trial subscription offered IIRC last fall; however...found the font was a tad too tiny (looked liked 6 pt) and some of the articles / side bars were also hard to read b/c of the muddled contrast between the font's color and the background (what looks snazzy on a monitor doesn't always translate well to the printed page).

16. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2011 Illinois

Beer Advocate? Oh, hell yeah...

1) $9.99/year? What else is that inexpensive? I have colleagues who spend twice that on Starbucks in a week.

2) The advertisements, rather than detracting, are a big part of the intel I receive. Who's spending what to promote what? What are the hot taverns, products, brews, etc.?

3) When I don't read an issue, I feel ignorant when I'm at my local bottle shop. Beer Advocate is my baseline knowledge.

Yes, I blow through it rather quickly. But it keeps me in the game. And who can beat that yearly price!

KhakCane likes this.
  17. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

Yes, the Beer Advocate mag is always a good read, go for it!

18. riverlen

riverlen Pundit (828) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois
    Society

It's about Beer, what's not to like? I subscribed just to support this site. At $10 for a year it's a no brainer.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  19. cambabeer

cambabeer Pooh-Bah (2,646) Dec 29, 2010 New York
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

just got my subscription... excited to post again after I get my first one in the mail!

20. smanson56

smanson56 Pooh-Bah (2,008) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Deactivated

the mag for the price of one good bomber! of course it's worth it

bozodogbreath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.