1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone trade less because of the new trade forum?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by OneBeertoRTA, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've probably seen 15 FT/ISO threads that were so ridiculous I've had a hard time even thinking about starting a thread. To further the problem, every BM I've started has been for a closed trade without an update in the OP. I think the feature is there for them to edit but so few BAs are using it.

We need to bring back the reply feature because all these newer members flooding the forum with ridiculous trades (locals for one off's or RS for whitest whales) is making it an eye sore.

I could go on for days but I'm talking about stuff like this.
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ft-grey-monday-iso-dq-or-other-one-off-loons.38392/
  2. GottaTickemAll and YaKnowBrady like this.
  3. It's not just Grey Monday. I'm seeing so many locals for one offs. The newer members unfortunately will not learn when they jump to the FT forum where feedback is not permitted.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ft-tart-of-darkness-iso-dark-lord.38031/
    ObiWanKushnobi and maximum12 like this.
  4. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i trade less because i'm cheap, and because of the heat wave making me dubious about the quality of bottles/growlers i send. i couldn't care less if some guy's trying to trade alpine nelson for loerik or something.

edit: p.s. also, don't want to step on any toes, but the implosion of "established value" caused by noobishness and greed is probably a good thing. in truth, your grey monday ain't shit. if it's as good as BCBS, or dave, or zombie dust, or M, aficionados will realize and remember that, and it will appreciate in value. if not (or if there really aren't any aficionados), it won't, and so what? [edit2: same goes for DQ, and if it doesn't, and you have DQ, and you trade it away for some hot new beer that turns out to be shit, what's your problem? why are you even trading it to begin with??]
    youradhere likes this.
  5. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

That seems pretty reasonable to me actually. I've landed dark lord before with shelf locals in the past.

I feel like this argument comes up a lot, it's just the nature of the beast of a growing website. Theres a lot of new guys throwing up threads. What I miss most is the more personable element of trading. Now it seems more like an auction bloc where as on the old forum it was more of regulars helping each other out. Regular trading partners consume the majority of my trades now. I stopped checking that section all together, and I used to "subscribe" to it in the past.
  6. sendsilk

sendsilk Savant (490) Florida Aug 31, 2007

I would point out that MarkVegas, DsGolovin amd TylerMains (I think I got the names right, or close at least) are Noobs at all. I have seen several posts from Vegas for a while and I have traded with Golovin. I think they are trying to be the the 'first to market' on Grey Monday. Think about Batch 1 CR, GM is the new 'trade' version of that IMO. I was drawn to the post because I have slowed my trading and posting ISO:FT greatly because of the new forum. I miss the replies as it kept people in check and made it more fun and entertaining. This is beer, this should be fun!! Really miss the old ISO:FT forum!
    bpgpitt10 and BrokenStones like this.
  7. I'm guessing they removed the reply feature because it kept certain topics at the top of the page, right? They should just set that subforum so that you can still reply, but replies don't bump the topic to the top of the page.

Or did they actually do it to limit discussion? If they did it to limit discussion, that's pretty lame.
    Holland likes this.
  8. They did it to limit those "adults" who were incapable of behaving like one.
    There was a wealth of knowledge and good natured help passed along in that forum, but there was quite a bit more threadshitting and general assholeness. If it were able to be kept at a civilized tone, I'm sure the replies would be brought back.
    I for one miss the replies, but I can see why they disabled the comments.

P.s. most people are unaware that you can delete the thread once the trade is completed. That is the only area on the forums that a user has the ability to do so. A stickie explaining that would be extremely beneficial.
    miketd likes this.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Well, so far the points of boths sides regarding post vs. no post have been proven. Twice.

I don't trade much anymore but that started with the influx of ebay assholes on this site, and now because so much good beer is available locally I am not tempted by stuff so much better than what I can get.
  10. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

11. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'm drinking more and trading less, especially after reading the post on some of the volume some BA's have collected. I don't want 1000 beers in my house sitting about on a spread sheet.
  12. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

I haven't traded in weeks. Partly because of personal reasons (new place, limited access to both cellar and beer stores), but also because of the new forum. I come on here way less. I used to like going to the ISO:FT to see people getting called out, but now people just keep reposting the same damn topic day after day thinking the "right person will see it" when in reality no one is messaging them because their offer is completely off base.

And again not to call people out, but it would be helpful if everyone saw responses to threads rather than just a "helpful" BM's. For example: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ft-love-child-2-iso-duck-duck-gooze.38413/

A brewery only release, three year old, extremely highly rated/hyped beer, for a brand new, 16k bottle, easy to get shelf release that (at least by me) sat around for a few weeks. Since he asks in the topic if he is off base, I'd rather it be a public response so everyone can see, and thus [hopefully] educate.
  13. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

MordorMongo likes this.
  14. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

If you think the trade request is riduclous and you have such a strong opinion about it, why don't you just PM them to tell them how you feel? As far as I know, that's still an option right?
    Brew33 and miketd like this.
  15. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

Only for those who actually have balls. Unfortunately, most BA's require an audience.
  16. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

i dont know if it really stops or hinders me from trading, but i was a fan of all the comments - whether they be well thought out explanations about a certain beer (ie - MasterSki posting about Kaggen), goofy internet chatter (ie - Overlord writing LIKE A BOSS on multiple threads) or a bunch of people swarming over a completely ridiculous offer (ie - corals).

this is supposed to be entertaining - if i wanted to read the classifieds, i go to craigs list.
    mikul93, smutty33, stevefinny and 2 others like this.
  17. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I recently sent a message to someone that was looking for Citra and offering FBS. Not terribly off base, but I told him I had traded for it a few times, and based on my experiences and what people were asking/getting, it might take a little more to get it done. Especially since numerous other Cali beers could track down FBS. He had only been on BA for a few months with what looked like no trades listed so I was just using some of my experience to try to help him. I said he could ge lucky and find someone, similar to the way I did but it was unlikely.

Never got a response but fast forward 2 weeks, he shoots me a message. Said he just got his trade done and pretty much told me to f off and mind my own business. He also went on to say I'm what's wrong with the trade forums and part of the reason we have no more replies, and if we did still have replies, my threadshitting would have cost him the trade. After asking why it took two weeks, he said no one answered his thread except for unreasonable offers and eventually got lucky and found someone who posted ISO FBS FT Citra :D

Probably the last time I try to offer "my advice".
  18. Knifestyles

What's really amazing is the accelerated rate at which new/fresh BA's are becoming total assholes.

What used to take years upon years of forum action to create that level of personal discontent now only takes a matter of weeks (sometimes even days).

I really wish they would impose an "introductory period" on new users in the trade forum.
    mikul93, Axic10, Gosox8787 and 8 others like this.
  19. MordorMongo

I have sent SEVERAL pms when I see a trade I think is bogus, I usually assume it is just lack of knowledge on beer involved so try and be helpful. Not once has it done any good, in fact I usually get the mind your own business rant and have had a few flat tell me they know it is ridiculous but what the hell you never know so why not? So I admit I have pretty much stopped because all that does is sour me even more on the trade scene ATM.
    bryanole27, SpdKilz, FUNKPhD and 2 others like this.
  20. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Wait... so you're assuming that most people posting on the interwebz are NOT assholes?

Mind = Blown
    kmello69 likes this.
  21. Knifestyles

Not sure...I've never been anywhere else on the internet, honestly.
  22. Pretty much everyone on the internet acts alpha to give purpose to their beta real-life.
  23. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I don't want to pick on you, but this is exactly why public advice is more worthwhile & private messages are of dubious worth.

Citra has only recently gained it's "rep". I've traded for it for good or limited locals (though not during the recent hype). I wouldn't blink an eye at seeing an "ISO: Citra FT: FBS" thread. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I wouldn't trade a highly sought-after beer for a Citra, tasty as it is. Just my five cents!

The point being just what someone posted above: that it's hard to know what to offer/if newbs are getting screwed just based on a lone post. Not only that, but I respond to trade offers less. If one if five or six hours old, I figure "Probably already done" & move on.
  24. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

I've traded less, somewhat do to the new forum. Need more BIFs...
    Axic10 and YaKnowBrady like this.
  25. stop worrying so much about what other people try and trade for. It won't get ya anywhere.
    Mavajo, afrokaze, ncaudle and 5 others like this.
  26. DSlim71

I see what you're saying, and I'm far from a "trade expert". I've only been trading for about a year, I was just offering info based on what I've seen. My first trade for was 2 Citras for a sixer of Flower Power and a 120 min so I know there may be reasonable trades out there. Do I think that would get done today? Probably not, but who knows. That's why I offered some of my experiences to try to help.

He told me based on his post that he got 2 messages, both for more than a 4 pack of FBS for 1 Citra. In any case, the forums will dictate a fair offer and he didn't get one based on his post until someone came along looking for exactly what he wanted. That's what I said, you may get lucky and find someone looking for exactly that, or you may not. If that person never posted their ISO: FBS, his trade would not have been completed.
  27. I posted an offer of 4xFBS for 1 Citra and it got done pretty quickly, just because some people were asking for crazy stuff for Citra doesn't make those the norm.
  28. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

The forum changes have not affected my trading at all. The only thing that does are releases. For Example a big burst of trading due to the Alpine EH release. Need m04r BCBS. I don't really care what people do with their own beers. If someone posted a 6 pack Coors Light for Ann, I wouldn't care to seriously berate them. It would be a funny ass ISO and I'd talk some shit in fun, but my panties wouldn't twist.
  29. DSlim71

Again, I never said it couldn't get done, I was just offering my past experiences to someone I thought was newer to trading. I would have never "threadshit" and posted something ridiculous if we had replies, I was just trying to lend a helping hand. Sure, maybe they didn't ask for it, but when I was new to trading, I would have welcomed other's opinions on whether my trade was good or bad, with examples and experience. Hell, I still would. I knew I may have to defend myself for even bringing it up, but I know what I sent him, and thought it was a helpful message. You all have your opinions on whether it is a good trade or not, and I was just voicing mine.
  30. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I've never been able to figure out why people care so much what other people post in ISO:FT.

Also, when I looked into this semi-systematically I found that the number of threads created had dropped off a bit. I'd search for that post, but I'm lazy. Not exactly what OP's asking, but sort of close!
    miketd likes this.
  31. evilc

I think people get mad when their wh4elz "deplete" in value when another person trades said whale for something "less". Kind of how you hate it when someone sells their house in desperation or a foreclosure happens down the street.
    arniepnminne and alwaysanswerb like this.
  32. MordorMongo

The only reason I care is I think some people feel if they see something posted it must be fair, so they try it as well. Get enough of that and you send legitimate ISOs off the first page and now THOSE have to be posted again, etc., etc. Agree it is less of a problem now as I perceive the # of threads has slowed quite a bit in last week or so. Or maybe I am wrong, shrug.

Doh, hate phone, meant to quote Stupac not you!
  33. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Well, I guess what I'm saying is that what you think is legitimate is just like, your opinion, man.
    Rempo likes this.
  34. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Savant (370) Wisconsin Apr 13, 2010

It'd be great if ISO:FT could 1.) allow the poster choose if they want comments so noobs can ask if they're way off base. 2.) not bump the thread on replies.
  35. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

As someone who was really new to trading earlier this year, I learned a lot watching the ISO:FT forum and reading the replies. I honestly had no idea what my beer was "worth" or what I could potentially ask for. So I watched and saw what the beers tended to go for...It was really helpful.

Yeah, the bumping thing was an issue (and yes I was guilty of it myself at one point) but there should be a way to disable that so people can still reply. I think those new to trading are really helped by the replies, even if just to tell them they're way off base.

I visit the forum less frequently and I trade less (though that is also a money/enthusiasm thing) in part because I don't know what's getting done and therefore can't really assess the value of some of the stuff I have (What is Strawberry/Figaro/Berserker/etc going for these days? What is it reasonable to ask for in return for Block 15 stuff?). I also get messages now asking if a trade I put up got done so others can offer something similar...that is what replies used to be useful for.

I'd love to see them back but I honestly doubt it happens.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  36. DSlim71

37. Domeshot14

Domeshot14 Savant (270) California Jul 10, 2011

Every time I see someone complain about an ISO:FT, I always assume they are butt-hurt that there "whale" may be worth less then they assumed. How else could you allow yourself to care what someone else wants to try?
    Tschnab, arniepnminne and evilc like this.
  38. evilc

That's what I think too.
  39. MordorMongo

Yup, you busted me....ask anyone that knows me, all I care about is the value of my wales. I've stated why I care and feel it is valid. Am I butthurt? Not in the slightest. Annoyed? Yes, yes I am.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.