1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone trying for Westy next week?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by LiquidCourage, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Anyone going out on 12/12/12 and trying to get Westvleteren 12?

I'll be heading to Julios, I'm just not sure how early I should get there.

2. I tend to be one of those crazy people who gets to things wayyyy too early. I figure it's better to wait an extra hour or two with friends to get what your there for than it is to wait four hours in line to come up empty handed. Probably just a symptom of other issues really...

3. No, I think everyone is going to stay away from this one.

4. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

i was able to pick up two bricks at Julio's after "the festival" due to not all attendees using their voucher. nice to be at the right place at the right time once in a while.

5. Considering going in on a brick w/ some friends. Way too broke to spend the whole $85 now.

6. Maybe I'm alone, and I've just had Westy a bunch of times now so the allure is gone, but I'm staying far away. $85 is a very borderline price to begin with, but if it's going to include trekking out to somewhere north or west of Boston during rush hour, and getting there early and waiting outside - meh - just way too much... I can buy half a case of Rochefort for less than that with zero hassle.

orvalrugger45 and davey101 like this.
  7. You forgot to mention that Rochefort is tastier.

orvalrugger45 likes this.
  8. Craft Beer Cellar announced their plans this morning. They got 316 bricks, and almost all will go to people on their list. The one annoying thing is that anyone who didn't call to "check in" over the past two weeks was entered into a lottery system for the right to buy. While I understand why they did it, I must have checked in 5-6 times since I put my name on the list in August of 2011, and stopped asking early this fall. So, because I didn't want to annoy them with my constant need for updates, I'm being thrown into a lottery. Seems backwards...

I keep reminding myself: it's for a good cause, and whoever gets the beer will enjoy it. I might take the morning off on Wednesday and go wait in line for one of the 40 cases open to non-listers (if my name wasn't picked).

9. Westy is still on my tick list, so I'd like to get a couple of bottles. I'm actually driving up from New York City that day and I'm trying to figure out if I can get it in New York or whether I should brave Redstones or Julios at rush hour. I don't have hours to wait in line for it, so if it looks like it will be tough I expect there will be plenty of them available for pretty reasonable trades.

DigitalNate likes this.
  10. BTW, I think they are doing the best they absolutely can. It won't be a 100% fair process anywhere, and I trust CBC to do whatever they can to get the beers to the most deserving people.

11. If CBC got 316 bricks I'd imagine Julio's get's/got at least double that.

12. CBC just called me and told me I was selected to buy one. I was on the list, but didn't call and check in or whatever.

13. Agree. It's a good quad, for sure- but not good enough to warrant $85 and the hassle.

CypherEnigma likes this.
  14. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

What I'm struggling with is how so many people are stunned by paying 14 dollars a bottle for what most consider the holy grail of beer, yet will on a weekly basis spend the same on bombers for local brews

UncleJimbo likes this.
  15. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

1. Which local bombers are $14 and being snapped up by people weekly?

2. I get the sense many people feel that other available Belgian quads:
    A. Are of similar quality
    B. Are less expensive
    C. Are more readily available and/or don't won't require the same effort one will seemingly need to put forth acquire a Westy brick.

16. I'd buy one if I had plenty of cash to spend but I have other beers I want to buy and I already have the glasses which are the best part of the brick.

17. For people that haven't been lucky enough to try it, it's worth it. I don't see myself going to Belgium anytime soon, I'm not going to pay absurd black market prices for one, and I don't have the fire power to trade for it. For me this is a great chance to help out the monastery and try the holy grail of beer.

18. $85 during the holiday season = probably not gonna happen for me. Gonna be low on cash as it is. I have had this beer only once and thought it was great but not far and above other great Quads which are available 100% of the time for about half the price per ounce. I might split the set with another person to get a glass and 3 bottles. If so, I'll probably show up at Julio's on the way home from work at 530 and see what happens. Would much rather spend the money on other stuff.

19. It's $14 for an 11oz bottle, which would be the equivalent of a $28 bomber, or a $32 750ml. That puts it squarely in the top 1% of 1% most expensive beers per ounce, and I don't think anybody is regularly buying $28 bombers of anything. In fact, I don't even know if there is even a single $28 bomber that comes from New England.

Also, it's not the holy grail of anything. In fact, fresh, it's no better than a bunch of other easily accessible bottles for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price. Now, with a few properly cellared years on it? Yeah, Westy 12 is pretty special. But it's only worth $14/bottle if you've never had it.

I'm not stunned by it in the least. In fact, I'm actually surprised it came in under the $100 mark. I just don't think it's worth it, but to each their own.

cbutova likes this.
  20. Sesmu

Sesmu Savant (290) Massachusetts Feb 28, 2007

I found this part a little strange, too. So, from now one, the more annoying you're, the better your chances? :) I remember inquiring about it in person, whether my August entry is still good, but whether it was within two weeks or not I can't remember.

21. You should get a call soon if you were selected. I put my name on the list back in August of 2011, and they said I was the third one on. So I called this morning to make sure my phone number was on the list correctly, which it wasn't, and they told me I was selected. Glad I called.

22. jamvt

I don't think it's unreasonable to estimate those glasses would retail for about $8/each. That brings the cost/bottle down to $11.50.

23. Sesmu

Sesmu Savant (290) Massachusetts Feb 28, 2007

I know. it's till 5 PM so they have three and a half hours to call me :) And they should have my phone correctly - they called me before.

24. My gf was on the list too, but when I won she declined. So, there's one less person in your way!

25. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Wow, the bottles look big in the advert. I can know understand somewhat

26. I usually lick my chops at the chance to declare that a particular hyped beer is not worth the money or chase, because I'd prefer to not love a beer that's difficult to get. But I cannot deny my tastebud’s opinion of Westy, illustrated as follows:

Westy 12 >> St. Bernardus 12 >>>>>>>>> Rochefort 10

Luckily, there's plenty of Westy in my cellar already so I don't need to leave home on Dec. 12

UncleJimbo likes this.
  27. No chance...

Thnx, Thijs!!! ;)

mmcgrath and cbeer88 like this.
  28. Well, do you realize that they are very small 5oz taster glasses? It's terribly unclear from any pictures, but they're kind of useless other than tastings. I actually acquired one back when they came out as I like to collect Belgian glassware, and I was a bit disappointed when I realized it was not a full size glass. So they might retail for $8, but I'm not sure if anybody would really want to buy 2 of them, particularly at that price.

29. Love Westveleteren 12 and have had it a bunch. Got a couple of bottles in the fridge and plan on drinking one tonight at QuadFest. I've found it hard to come by with trading and even then the trade value is around $18 so the chance to buy it at $14 with glasses... yeah, I'm going to gun for a 6 pack

30. Are they actually only 5 oz? I thought they were about 6 but never actually measured them. I think I paid three bucks a piece for mine so I felt like I got a bargain.

31. I split a westy 12 with my brother over thanksgiving and one fit pretty perfectly into two glasses.... if you ask me it's kind of cool because it's perfect for splitting the bottle

32. jamvt

They're the perfect glass to split a Westy 12 or any high gravity beer. They're at least 6oz. I've split a 375 Loon using them.

Jnorton00 likes this.
  33. ptrc

ptrc Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 26, 2011

Sounds like a double blind taste test (or several, just to be sure) is in order.

34. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Not gonna worry about Westy, I spent by December budget on BCBS!!!! :p

35. Most Belgian glassware is measured to the intended capacity to leave room for the head, so yeah, it probably would actually hold 6-ish oz with no head. They probably figure in an 11oz bottle you pour 5oz into each of 2 glasses and leave the remaining 1oz/sediment behind.

$3 apiece is probably about the right valuation for them IMO.

36. jamvt

here is my personal experience with the westy 12 and westy 12 chalices. doens't look like i left the remaining 1oz/sediment either.

[​IMG]

37. Not entirely sure what your point is - they're clearly rated as 15cl glasses. Whether they actually hold 6.25oz or 6.8oz or whatever of liquid without head, they're still highly impractical for much beyond splitting a small bottle or using at a tasting.

38. How long can and should westys be aged for?

Also, haven't these "bricks" already been aged a year due to the holdups?

39. kingcrowing

kingcrowing Advocate (550) Vermont Mar 24, 2009

I might have been interested if the glasses weren't so atrocious - the ones they have in Belgium are much nicer and not nearly as tacky.

40. Apparently I put my name on the CBC list as well and now I'm compelled to try and buy one even though I really don't want it that bad... I should just buy more BCBS instead.

Horbar likes this.