1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone trying for Westy next week?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by LiquidCourage, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Leave it alone for a couple of years and it will get better.

2. better is a totally subjective term. the thread might be different, but who are you to say whether it will be better

garfscores, geocool and Jnorton00 like this.
  3. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

Your theory is entirely off base. Have you ever visited a distributor warehouse? Virtually all are temperature controlled from big brewers and craft brewers alike requiring climate controlled warehouses. I don't work for a distributor, but I've been in literally hundreds of distributors and never once seen improperly stored beer. Almost all shipping trucks are reefer trucks as well. Next theory I guess.

4. Well, I've heard differently. Are you telling me that every warehouse is temperature controlled 24/7 year round at about 55 degrees with optimal humidity levels?

5. So... does anybody know how many bricks Julios has for sale?

6. jamvt

Yup.

7. Fair enough, like I said, I have heard differently from some very knowledgeable people on the subject, but I'll take your word for it.

8. Well I've never been in one myself, but man, you should get yourself tested.

dennho and Jnorton00 like this.
  9. Just got one at julios. There were about 150 people in line at 430, when they started selling. It looked like they had 300 boxes

10. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

When I called, at about that time for that matter, the nice woman that answered the phone said there were significantly less than that (closer to about 80). Not saying you're wrong. I'm just sayin.

11. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

I spoke with one of the beer guys at about 3:30 (when the line was "only" about 40-50 people long) and he said he didn't know the exact number, but that it was "definitely over 500." He said everyone who comes in tonight should be able to get one. That said, I'd still call if you haven't left yet.

12. jamvt

Sold out at Julio's according to their fb page.

BobZ likes this.
  13. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (530) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

Yep, just tweeted that it was gone in just over 1.5 hours! There's some demand for you.

I am so damn glad not to be part of that! Thanks, Thijs for years of being the best BA has to offer!

14. The line ended up going downstairs because it was getting too long. There were about 80 on the floor level, but many people had to wait downstairs. The lady may have only seen the first floor line.

Either way they sold their entire allotment, which was apparently 500.

15. Stood in line at Redstone around 4. They started selling them at 5 pm, took an hour to get through the 50 or so bricks they must have had. I missed out by about 15 people.......can't say I'm that disappointed to have not spent $85 on a six pack of beer. If I wanted it bad enough I easily could have shown up an hour earlier than I did.

Having a Westvleteren 12 at home already helps too.

franklinn likes this.
  16. Annd I think I'm going to crack the Westvleteren 12 I have this week. Probably buy a Rochefort and St. Bernardus for a side by side. Those that have had this before, do you pour the yeast right in?

17. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I've had it before and, as with most beers(personally), I don't pour the yeast in. I'd decant all the beers for your side by side, but that is just me.

18. Still a stack of em sitting on the floor at a liquor store here... no lineups... no crazy people... might go in next week and buy another brick ;)

19. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

Awesome, bro.

Psychmusic likes this.
  20. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Either way, I got about halfway into a 90 minute drive before making a followup call only to confirm what you said.

Such is life.

21. Where is that?

22. Looks like it's i the land of the second biggest flopping, cry baby hockey team.

JonnyBeers and davemike2112 like this.
  23. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Nov 27, 2008

I didn't wait in line yesterday for a Westy brick <pats self on back>

24. One of the managers in my department just let me know that he was stuck in traffic by Julios yesterday and had heard about the release so he dropped in and grabbed a brick just to see what it was all about. Aside from the ridiculous trades on the forum this release was definitely good to get people talking and maybe in to better beers.

BobZ and jamvt like this.
  25. I've had around 8-10 people call and ask me if we had any "West Velvet" "Westvaletorn" "Westphalia" and Westvleteren 12 since yesterday afternoon after seeing a story on the news about it. Apparently they missed the part of the news stories where stores sold out of it almost instantly. Also that only a handful of stores were allocated the product. Eh well. God bless their zeal.

26. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

I can't help myself. People who know I'm a beer geek ask me about this rare beer going on sale. Have I heard of it? Did I stand in line to get it? I give them a superior look and say "I was at The Festival in Worcester. They were pouring as much as you wanted for free. I got my brick in June. There was no line"

I have to work on being less of a beer snob.

27. Anyone open a bottle yet? I cracked one right on Wednesday and it was excellent. I'll probably open a second on Christmas.