1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anyone used their Mosaic yet?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by MMAJYK, Dec 28, 2012.

1. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

I have a lb of whole hops in the freezer and I think I might make an IPA tomorrow. I haven't even opened them up to take a sniff yet, but I've heard good things.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were so far?

2. pwrf12

pwrf12 Aficionado (125) Virginia Jan 26, 2008

I would say go for it. I brewed a DIPA this past weekend where Mosaic accounted for over half of the kettle additions. When I opened the bag, it reminded me of the first time I brewed with Citra; it had that sweet honeydew melon/tropical fruit bowl thing going on. If you enjoy Citra or Simcoe, you will not be disappointed.

3. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

I busted them open and am looking forward to brewing with them. They smell so much like Citra to me and its one of my favorites, so I think I'm gonna like Mosaic just fine. Your descriptions were spot on!

pwrf12 likes this.
  4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Single hop or SMaSH with it, using some restraint in the amount of additions?

Haven't brewed with mine either, but the smell is very Citra like.

5. just made a ipa using them almost exclusively. dry hopped with 1oz of citra and mosaic two days ago. I should bottle next Saturday. ill get back and report my tastings! lookin forward to it