1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Anything Going in Pittsburgh this weekend 3/15-3/17

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Ruddick, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Heading to Pittsburgh for the weekend with my wife. While she is at a conference I will have to time to explore. Anything notable (bottle releases, tap takeovers, etc.) going on in the Pittsburgh area this weekend.
  2. Um, you do know it's St. Patrick's Day weekend?
    Shmuffalo likes this.
  3. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

I'd check out Fat Heads. I'm sure they'll have some great beers on tap.
  4. Ksax

Ksax Zealot (85) Pennsylvania Jan 15, 2008

This Saturday is the St. Patricks Day Parade downtown. EVERY bar in the downtown area will be packed from 10 am until closing. I don't think Fatheads even opens on parade day, due to the rowdy crowds. Unless you are looking for large crowds and lots of green beer, I would stay away from downtown(market aquare, station square, south side, etc.)
  5. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Is it really that bad? I was planning to head on up Saturday afternoon as well, with a visit to House of 1000 beers, and then a quick stop at Smokin Joe's and/or Piper's Pub. While I could see Fathead's attracting your typical drunken St. Pat's crowd, neither Smokin Joe's or Piper's seem like the kind place that would attract that sort of crowd (especially Piper's). Obviously, I know better than to stick around E. Carson St. after dark, but I figured I'd be OK as long as I was out of the area by 6:00 or 7:00.
  6. dtx00

dtx00 Savant (395) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2006

Most bars on the southside will be crowded. Its just an area that people naturally gravitate towards. It is an area that has the most bars per sq ft. Pipers will be crowded on Saturday. Its an Irish/English/Scottish bar. People are not smart, but think it would be more appropriate to celebrate there. John, if you do come up to the southside give me a shout. I will be somewhere around that day and probably spending a good amount of time drinking my own beers because it will be easier and better than i can get most places.
  7. John_M

Will do. I'm almost certainly going to drive up (my time here on the East Coast is pretty limited now - I transfer back to Oregon in 2 weeks); hopefully it won't be too intolerable. I've had excellent luck in the past when coming up on Saturday or Sunday, though of course none of those previous trips included St. Pat's day.

I'll shoot you a BM momentarily about my contact info.
  8. Was planning on Fat Heads tomorrow, but after everything everyone has said I've decided to go tonight. Not sure what I will do tomorrow. What is the best bottle shop? I am staying at the off of Sixth and William Penn.
  9. Shmuffalo

Do you have a car? I'd drive about 20 minutes to giant eagle Shaler.
  10. It will be CRAZY on the southside (or in the burgh for that matter) on Saturday. If you don't mind crowds and loud drunks, it's actually pretty crazy. Be good tho..... cops will be full speed ahead. (And I have cops in the family!!)
  11. What's going on there this weekend?
  12. Shmuffalo

Nothing, as far as I know, just a great place for a bottle shop
  13. John_M

Yep. Tried stopping by around 5:00, and it was sheer insanity on E. Carson St. I took some back streets to finally get down to 20th St., but once I saw the crowd outside Pipers and Smokin Joe's (there were well over 50 people in line waiting to get in to Smokin Joe's), I decided to bag it. Parking was a complete nightmare as well, and traffic was nearly immovable.

Have learned my lesson. Won't ever try to visit E. Carson St. on a St. Pat's day weekend again.
  14. SeanPaulZ

SeanPaulZ Zealot (80) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

I was up in Pittsburgh for St. Pat's and I was very happy with the beer scene there. Fat Head's was awesome as well as The BeerHive and Roland's Seafood. The Church Brew Works was awesome to see, the beer was decent. We went to Fat Head's on Sunday for lunch and it was pretty packed. I brought home a 6 pack of Head Hunter and the Oompa Loompa Chocolate Cream Stout which were both amazing.