1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

APA IPA BIF Target Dates and Shipping Managers

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Naugled, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Naugled

Naugled Savant (465) New York Sep 25, 2007

Sounds like Central Distribution is the crowd favorite. To make this manageable I propose breaking it into two groups by brew/ship dates and limiting each group to a max of 6 total participants. The shipping manager is counted as one of those 6 people.

Central distribution. Each of the 6 participants ship all of their brews to the address of the shipping manager with return postage. Once all shipments have been received the organizer repacks each box with one beer from each participant and ships back to original address.​

Feed back. Each participant must be willing to provide sampling feed back for all of the beers they receive. We can work out the details on methods for this, such as BJCP score sheet or BA like judging.​

My plan is to brew this beer on May 18th, which would put me on a ship date of around June 8th. So if those dates work for enough people I would be willing to be a shipping manager for that round. I think this will be the later brew date though. Respond to this thread if you would like to participate in this later round. The first 6 to respond will be included.

For those of you brewing now or soon, we need two things..
    1) a target brew/ship date and
    2) a shipping manager.

Any volunteers out there?

2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

I am NOT volunteering for this round, as I've already brewed it and it would be past its prime by then. However, I would like to add something:

The box you ship in should be fine to receive your return package in. You can provide your own shipping label with your box. The weight and size/shape of the box should be the same, which makes it easy. USE LOTS OF BUBBLE WRAP! I wrap each bottle individually with bubble wrap, then put them inside a plastic grocery bag and tie it up, then put all the individually wrapped bottles inside a garbage bag and pad with extra bubble wrap. USE TWO garbage bags if they're not the heavy duty ones. If you have too little bubble wrap, you risk breakage. Your box should be able to EASILY survive a SIX FOOT FALL with no worries. Fedex and UPS don't care if you write "fragile" or "this side up" on the box, they will treat it like a football being thrown in a last second hail Mary pass either way!! Make it bomb proof!

Please read alewatcher's blog if you haven't already, particularly the stuff about packaging!

I am repeating this stuff because I've seen what happens when people don't package beer correctly. I've shipped a lot of beer, so I am not just blowing smoke!

There are special styrofoam bottle shipping boxes, feel free to use them, but still pack with extra bubble wrap to keep the bottles from moving around much.

DO NOT use the USPS! Postal service = NO GO.

If you are shipping to or from a warm place, make sure the beers are COLD before you pack them, and it wouldn't hurt to add a little blue ice or ice packs. The bubble wraps insulates to some extent, but if you're shipping from Phoenix to El Paso, remember your beer will be in the back of an UN-refrigerated truck for a couple of days!

I am more than willing to consult with anyone who wishes information about beer trading. Reply here or PM me.

al

3. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

A May brew date works well for me, although I can brew this weekend and any time in between if I want.

I will volunteer as a shipping manager. Shipping to Tajikstan is cheaper than you think;) as some of you already know. I have been mulling this over, and if all 12 want to ship to me that is fine also. I have alot of time on my hands lately. I have a room on the NE side of the house that stays pretty cool and constant.

If I am elected, and like AlCaponeJr stated, your share will come back in the box and packing you send.

Also, your beers will go out like they are received so keep that in mind. Unless someone does a really poor job then I will fix it. I already have the pic of the 144 beers lined up in my mind :eek:.

I have sent alot of packages out in my time, more than listed in my profile, and have never had a problem. Basically if they make it here the will make it back.

If I am not elected, just as well, it is alot of responsibility.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I'm actually brewing this weekend. So it would have to be an early-ish group (if any) for me.

5. Naugled

Well that piece of information changes things then. No election necessary, you are now a shipper. And if you are willing to ship more than 6 bottles than I say we try to go for a world record BIF.

If you are willing to accept up to 12 participants for a May brewdate and June shipping then I say lets do that and I'll retract my proposal to break this into two groups. Unless there is a strong desire for two separate shippings, then I'll throw my hat back in the ring.

And Al, thanks for the great advice on shipping and the early feed back on the beer. It sounds like it will be enjoyable.

So we have 2 so far for a May brew.... any others?

NiceFly likes this.
  6. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Put me down as a maybe; I'll know whether or not on May 4th if I'm going to brew (If my IPA, Red Ale or Mild goes to NHC 2nd round I get the green light to brew from the wife, so I'll be able to sneak in brewing this IPA on the same day). Sorry for the wishy-washy-ness, writing thesis takes priority over beer, unless I go to NHC round 2.

7. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (405) Florida Oct 19, 2012

So we have 2 so far for a May brew.... any others?

Brew in progress . . . I am adding dry-hops tomorrow (April 3rd) then to the keg a week later. I could be ready to ship as early as the end of April, so I would prefer an earlier group if we split. If there is a grande shipment in June, my brew will only be 7 weeks old, so that should work.

If the ship date gets pushed forward much from early June . . . well . . . the averagely part of my IPA may suffer.

8. Brewed it last saturday, so put me in the early group. I may drag the process out a little since we are looking at a June ship date.

9. Naugled

So far we have a possible party of 4 for an early ship date: BumpkinBrewer, AlCaponeJr, PortLargo and Vikeman

And 2 so far for a later date: Naugled, NiceFly (who could brew early as well)

Any others....

10. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

Note that I didn't really volunteer (as noted in first line of my post), I only have bombers, and they're already bottle conditioning! I would never send my homebrew if it was past its prime!

But I would participate in an early "flight" if called upon... I can switch out a couple bombers with my brother for some 12oz-ers. :D

11. wspscott

wspscott Savant (490) Kentucky May 25, 2006

I brewed on Sunday so early would work for me.

12. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

On the contrary, you are an inspiration. I stopped brewing beer about the time I started my Master's in 1991 and didn't brew again until 1 year into a post doc, in 2005. I wish I studied something useful, like time travel, so I could go back and make up for the lost time. If I did, I would "invent" double IPA, and I'd make sure I made a killing on the AB-InBev deal.

barfdiggs likes this.
  13. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I could probably brew this within the next two weeks. I have everything but the time at this point. If I shot for the 13th, or 14th, I could have this kegged and into bottles early May... First week perhaps, if I keg/carb/dryhop it all in one step like I normally do.

14. Naugled

So now it's a possible party of 6 for an early ship date: BumpkinBrewer, AlCaponeJr, PortLargo, Vikeman, wspscott and Fatcity

All this group needs now is a shipping manager. NiceFly you willing to do the early brew? That would make a possible 7 with you.

And 2 so far for a later date: Naugled, NiceFly (who might brew early)

I could possibly brew this on Apr 27th. So I could potentially make an early May delivery. With an early May delivery we could possibly do this all in one group...

Any others....

15. NiceFly

I am going to pick up the supplies today and use dry yeast so I can brew on command.
    Naugled, I say you get it in gear and we do one group.

16. Naugled

Count me in for the early ship. I will juggle some things around, and see what my earliest brew day can be on this. I just ordered the remaining hops I needed. Should be here by next Wednesday. That's a good Idea on the dry yeast, I may try that too, it sounds like a good option for brewing on a moments notice

17. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (405) Florida Oct 19, 2012

Thanks Naugled, for speeding up your timetable. I think a group of eight is perfect . . . if my math skills are correct, that will be shipping seven bottles which is a mighty lucky number. I'm also guessing that if anyone is bottle carbonating the bubbles will be created equally well whilst in transit. That would help speed things up.

If I sound anxious . . . well . . . I dry-hopped Wednesday. Of course I tasted it and APA IPA is PDG.

18. NiceFly

I have to drop out of this. I overcarbed my beer and a few of them foam up even after being in the fridge for a few days.

I shot for 2.6 volumes but apparently got more. It even tastes overcarbed if that makes any sense. Still tasty and all I have to do is swirl the glass a bit but I can't risk shipping these, especially if there is other peoples beers in the box.

Sorry about that.