1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Apparently L.A. Only has Two Good Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by UnknownKoger, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Print media seems to be relying on shock value to generate interest moreso than substantive (much less objective) reporting more than other forms lately.

Being a native, but now displaced San Diegan, I can tell you, there's a lot of angst towards L.A. still to this day. Took the basketball team, probably gonna take the football team. Adrian Gonzalez.

But hey, we got Steve Garvey.
    cocoapuph likes this.
  2. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

is he wrong?

LA has been way behind on the SoCal beer scene. It is nice that Golden Road is helping LA out and hopefully a few new breweries will help their beer scene grow too (such as Ohana).

edit: I am genuinely asking. What other great LA breweries are there (not OC breweries)?
  3. Beachwood BBQ, Monkish, Strand, El Segundo and Eagle Rock immediately come to mind. In fact, I prefer those breweries over Golden Road. If we include Orange County we also get The Bruery, Bootlegger's and Smog City.
  4. I think to those outside of SoCal, the OC is LA. Most people think of the area between Paso Robles and San Clemente as pretty much "LA". When I went down to the FW beer fest, everyone was like 'ah, another LA trip huh?'

Just like all my buddies when visiting Las Vegas, think I should just hop on down. Nevada is Las Vegas. Nevermind its over 400 miles away from where I live in Nevada. Dude, I'm in Vegas, its Nevada, like I'm next door.
  5. The Bruery and Magic Mountain are the only reason I get near L.A.
  6. +1 Beachwood, Strand & Eagle Rock. . . haven't had anything from the others.

I can't remember if Ventura is in LA County. . . if so, I liked Surf's South Swell Double IPA. . . funky Nelson hops baby!

7. Being the fastest growing brewery in California doesn't necessarily make you the best.
    thome50 likes this.
  8. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

True, which is why people say Disneyland is in LA, when it is in OC. But this is a local article about the local scene, so I figured he meant specifically LA not including OC.

I have not tried Monkish or Strand. I have only tried El Segundo's Citra Pale, which I thought was good. Beachwood is good, ER is okay, I haven't had anything that wowed me.

Also, I took his article as a "Hey, look LA is starting to make good beer like the rest of the SoCal counties/areas" Which I think is accurate. Most of the places you guys named are very young and small operations, not even bottling. I am sure in 3-5 years LA will have a great brewery scene, but right now they are an infant stage and I think the author is right that Golden Road is a new standout amongst not that many options.
  9. dksl16

dksl16 Aficionado (235) California Sep 12, 2008

I'm a huge fan of Ladyface. They always seem to fly under the radar.
  10. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

They make pretty good beer! I like their experimentation and the food is good. I've just had to bite bullet when I go there because their service sucks! I never like to complain on the Internet but I work in guest service and it's sad how the times I've been there and had friends go there we have all had bad experiences.

Back on subject the LA beer scene is getting awesome I can't wait for smog city to get a brew house of their own setup! Or have they? Are they still brewing at Tustin?
  11. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (750) Florida Feb 1, 2012

What about alesmith?
  12. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Agreed. I think Eagle Rock is putting out some pretty solid stuff, as well as Beachwood, Strand and El Segundo. Angel City just started putting out stuff (haven't had it yet) as well, plus Haven Brewing in Pasadena is making some solid beer as well.

Never really been impressed by Golden Road, although tried their Berliner last night with some Raspberry syrup and it was surprisingly tasty. The guy who runs Craftsman is pretty unpleasant to say the least, so I kind of refuse to buy anything they make.
  13. Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, but Alesmith is about 120 miles from LA proper.
  14. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

I'll admit that I lump everything north of SD as "LA."
    Is Craftsman LA?
    Hangar 24?
    Ladyface?

I'd say those three are my favorite (though I think Beachwood's beers beat them all) but I genuinely don't know.
  15. Ventura is in Ventura county!
  16. Craftsman - yes (Pasadena is in LA County)
    Hangar 24 - no (Redlands is in San Bernardino County)
    Ladyface - yes (Agoura Hills is in LA County but not by much)
  17. Yes, LA has only a small number of breweries but it's better than nothing. I would say every brewery that we have is better than average overall. Compared to SD however, yes it's obviously lacking.
    Retsinis and TicoCali like this.
  18. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Savant (480) California Sep 25, 2010

I think we should include North San Diego County as part of LA.
    John11486 likes this.
  19. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (750) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Yeah... I'm dumb... What's the big one in Anaheim, or just northeast of it.
  20. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

i like craftsman. the below post is the most offensive statement i've ever read on this site.

jtmartino and barleywinefiend like this.
  21. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

SD>>>>>>>>>>OC>>>LA
    (and I live in OC)
  22. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Savant (480) California Sep 25, 2010

Sorry to offend. It was a tongue-in-cheek post without the smiley face. Angst indeed.
  23. He may be from Florida, but I think he was being sarcastic. Alesmith is considered "North County" by some, though, so it might as well be LA. [snicker]
    SatlyMalty likes this.
  24. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

Eagle Rock is fine. Golden Road is fine. El Segundo, Angel City and Strand are fine. Los Angeles has no great breweries. Monkish, Ladyface and Beachwood are good breweries that are a cut above in terms of creativity and execution, with plenty of room to grow.

The Bruery? Smog City? Bootleggers? Seriously, if we're including the OC (don't call it that) along with LA, let's go ahead and include Alpine, Russian River and Goose Island as a part of Los Angeles.
  25. I've seen Beachwood mentioned a few times, but I was unawares that Long Beach was LA.
    TheJollyHop and Sebowski like this.
  26. For those defending the article, he isn't just saying LA doesn't have many great breweries, or that it isn't as good as SD (duh). But with a quote like this: "Golden Road is a year-old brewery from L.A., a city that is to craft brewing what "The Innocence of Muslims" is to world cinema -- in other words, an embarrassment." This guy needs to fuck off, seriously. And I don't even live in LA.
  27. drewone

drewone Advocate (660) California Sep 18, 2006

I think we talking counties here; as example otherwise stone, lost abbey, alpine, etc would not be SD breweries.
    CelticAleMan likes this.
  28. Some of the LA area breweries mentioned have this in common - they've only been open a few years or less. IMO, it takes time for a brewery to mature, while creating and refining a good roster of beer styles.

Another commonality: the lack of a signature, bust-out brew that puts your brewery on the beer world map. For example, lLike Black Tuesday for The Bruery, Knuckle Sandwich/Bootleggers, Silva Stout/Green Flash, BA Speedway Stout/Alesmith, etc. How often do you see an LA area beer listed in ISO:FT?
  29. Xul

Xul Advocate (500) California May 18, 2008

And within print media, the San Diego UT is among the worst of the worst. The ownership have decided to be news makers rather than news reporters, and any semblance of objectivity or professional journalistic standards is pretty much gone at this point, with the exception of a couple columnists. Peter Rowe (the author of this piece) has generally been one of the better writers, not sure if he just has an axe to grind with LA or has bought into the paper's new mindset, but the UT isn't really worth paying attention to.
  30. Of course Peter has an axe to grind with LA - he doesn't like all those LA douchebags that go to Alpine and grab all the beer for resale.
    UnknownKoger and Xul like this.
  31. San Diegans should still be laughing their asses off over foisting the Clippers on LA, regardless of the last couple years.
  32. They are waiting for you to get the Chargers to make it a double whammy. Unfortunately, there is no room for the Padres.
  33. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

As a San Diegan, I want ANY NBA, so I can actually start rooting for a team. I refuse to root for the Lakers. (which unfortunately, most SD'ers do)
  34. We have a snug, yet modern little ballpark in Lake Elsinore that would fit them nicely.
  35. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (520) California Sep 25, 2009

As a born & rasied Angelino (well SFV) The article is certainly brash, even insulting, but underneath that is basically the part that has some truth, that we have a long way to go, and being a city as old, and as large in the world as it is, it's a bit out of pace with a lot of other cities on beer, but we are improving.

I remember reading an interesting article about 2 years (wish I could recall who & where) back talking about how LA was for many decades, a club town. From disco clubs, rock clubs, alternative clubs, dance clubs, latin clubs, jazz clubs, etc. etc, and that as a result, the cities drinking culture was more around cocktails, martini's, margarita's, etc. as a result. That we were lacking, for decades, Pubs, & a pub culture, and with that of course, quality beer. The article went on to describe how over the last 15 to 10 years, but especially the last 5, that this has been shifting, & a Pub culture has finally been developing in LA ( though the club part will probably still be here forever)

Anyhow, I really agreed with that articles perspecitve, since most of the LA breweries mentioned in this thread have opened in the last 5 years or less, as well as most of the great craft beer bars now in LA as well. Over that same period of time, I've seen Bevmo's, Total Wines & More pop up, & liquor stores improving their craft beer stock during this same period.

We do have a ways to go, though the embarrasment remark is bullshit. I'm excited to see where will be in 5 to 10 years, am glad to be a part of it, and I'm proud to call LA home.
    UnknownKoger, vurt and nanobrew like this.
  36. LA only has two breweries who've sent beer and have a presence in San Diego, that's more what the article was getting at IMO.
    Trojan713 and nanobrew like this.
  37. I enjoyed a Craftsman Heff with my lunch yesterday. They make very tasty and drinkable beers.

Some people here are too sensitive. I can't speak for anybody else, but I'd be happy to see LA get a lot more breweries of quality.
  38. And here I already claim Beachwood for the OC... maybe it's working if the press doesn't count it. then again maybe they're only counting those who package in cans/bottles?
  39. I'm not a fan of LA at all but if more good breweries pop up there its good for the business.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Noble Ale Works in Anaheim (yes I know not LA) Nobility is a great IPA. Next trip up to The Bruery will require a stop by there.

I wonder if Cambria from Golden Road has a BA account. She could probably speak on this.
    marcron03 likes this.