1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

April 2013 Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jedwards, Apr 6, 2013.

1. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

Tried a few beers tonight...

2007 Allagash Interlude: I never fully understood the "bubblegum flavors" thing that Brett C is supposed to do until tonight. This was bizarre, all dubble bubble and bandaids. Not my favorite.
    Allagash Vagabond: Awesome, awesome. The salted butter flavor that lingered for so long seems to finally be gone and it's straight old Flanders. Still a bit of spicy oak, some pre-soy-sauce (Worcestershire-y?) flavors. Definitely in the oxidized spectrum at this point.
    2004 NEBCO Three Judges: Damn tasty. Tons of tobacco and a bit of tannic leather -- a real sipper. The bottle claims it can go 20 years, which I am skeptical of... but it's certainly worth drinking now.
    3/2007 Raison d'Extra: Getting... weird. Had sort of a carbonated red wine thing going on. Prickly.
    Pahn, claaark13 and garymuchow like this.
  2. gwguest

gwguest Savant (285) Kansas Jan 31, 2006

2006 Goose Island Pere Jacque - I had this in 2011 and was so pleasantly surprised that I couldn't resist squeezing my beer buddy out of another one. Two years later, it's the shell of any beer it's ever been. Tasted a bit like a Shiner Bock left out overnight. Sad.

2008 Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout - An all time favorite beer, certainly top 3 personally. This beer didn't disappoint. Huge chocolaty vanillay goodness with loads of awesome. However, I'm wondering if it's beginning a slow journey downward now. I don't drink them often enough to really be sure that there weren't other factors that may have contributed to the feeling that this 08 wasn't quite at it's best. I'm happy to have more and would gladly trade for more despite my worry.

Old Stock Rasputin XI - When my neighbor and I opened one fresh, I was let down in a big way so this one sat in the basement waiting for another chance. This was a very very good beer that has mellowed significantly from the harsh biting tones when it was fresh. There's much more vanilla and malt flavor here now, but still not something I'd pay the asking price to acquire.

note* These beers were on separate evenings.
    Pahn, garymuchow and FremontBar like this.
  3. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (750) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

2007 August Schell Snowstorm

A dubbel is this one. Reviewed in the good area (3.76). I had one a couple of years ago and it hadn't change flavor really at all.
    This time was different. A musty oxidized aroma that wasn't all that great. The flavor however had aged kinda' nicely. The malts had become more caramel like and were really quite enjoyable. Any oxidation had blended in well with no mustiness or cardboard. Feel was smooth. While never a great beer, this one aged out in an enjoyable way. I'll have to make sure I don't have another hiding away, as I can't imagine it'll get much better than this.

4. 2012 KBS. Popped a bottle tonite. Still a great beer. Chocolate dominate. A noticeable amount of stale coffee. Not to shabby, fairly smooth mouthfeel, its not boozey at all.

Had a 2011 KBS about 2 weeks ago and that impressed me way more than the 2012 that I drank tonite. It was really chocolately and sweet bourbon without any heat or harshness. Super silky and smooth mouthfeel. I would go after some more 2011 KBS with about anything from my beer cellar just to drink it right now. Its delicous in the state that its in right now. 5 stars! Seriously...
    garymuchow and stayclean like this.
  5. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (585) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

2010 Dissident

Drinking beautiful right now... the bitterness/tannins have mellowed and it has gotten somewhat funkier and certainly more tart.
    garymuchow and Bitterbill like this.
  6. Oak Aged Yeti – Oct 2011
    It’s one of the first bottles I put away to cellar and one of the first I’ve pulled out. I really liked drinking it fresh but found the oak fairly strong, a bit harsh and overpowering against the stout. Time has made the oak more subtle and really helped blend the two. The oak sits in the background adding depth instead competing for my palete’s attention. I’m happy I aged it and really enjoyed it.
    BigBarley, garymuchow and Bitterbill like this.
  7. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

I have to disagree to an extent with you, me and another ba recently did a 3 year vert and agreed that 2012 is perfect right now, no stale coffee to us, 2011 was still great but not quite as strong in flavors, and 2010 was just bad, really stale coffee taste. I would say if you have any 2011 drink now, any 2012 drink soon if not now.
  8. Drinking a bomber bottle of 2009 Bourbon County right now (bottled in Dec. of 2009). The bourbon is incredibly well integrated into the base beer and the burn from the alcohol is barely there. Huge chocolate, bourbon, oak and vanilla.

Drinking pretty much perfect. The most surprising part is that it is really drinkable as well as delicious.
    garymuchow and Bitterbill like this.
  9. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Sounds almost exactly like the 2008 tasted a year ago. Glad to know the consistency is sticking around...
  10. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

11. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Bell's 25th. I found these tucked away in the depths of my closet when doing some reorganizing recently. Oh, n00b cellar experiments gone wrong.....

Poured at cellar temp into a Bruery snifter. Thanks n00b claaark13 for buying this fresh and putting it into a box and hiding it with other "treasures" deep into the abyss.

Plenty of carbonation left in this guy. Dark amber colors, thick white head. Smells like an old, hoppy American Barleywine. Lots of malts coming through with stale hops. As it breathes, some favorable sweetness and pitted fruit notes come out. Very smooth, malt forward, hints of dark fruit that never become dominating towards the finish. Medium body, but on the thicker side. Overall, it is really easy to drink. It does remind me a bit of an aging American Barleywine. I would suggest keeping whatever you have left in your cellar there for a while, as this may actually be a lot better in 5 years.
  12. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

^nice. came across a couple of these while doing some organizing recently.
  13. argock

argock Savant (490) Virginia Dec 30, 2006

2012 Terrapin Phlux Capacitor
    Wow -- what a difference 10-11 months can make. Consumed at 55F from an oversized wineglass. My original overall score for this fresh was 3.28. I let one bottle age, refrigerated at 35-40F for most of the time period. THis beer has made leaps and bounds. This tastes like an exceptional oak-aged American barleywine with spectacular minty, woody, herbal, earthy hops notes, and big malt flavors with burnt caramel, toffee, rum raisin, and treacle. THe oak flavor has the slightest hint of vanilla but mainly finishes with a mildly tannic, slightly drying finish. The mouthfeel is low carbonation and there is still some booziness in the feel. I am really impressed and, compared to the fresh version, this is a completely different beer. I think this beer could probably be even better in 4-6 more months to let the booze fade a little further without going away completely and letting the malt flavors come together even a little more. Still, I am shocked at how much better this beer is with a pretty minor amount of age. I would seek this out and I plan to see if I can find it in town this weekend -- it blends the best of oak, American hoppiness, and subtle but rounded maltiness. I think I would even prefer it to DFH Burton Baton for the more rounded maltiness but it is a close call. One of my biggest surprises cellar-wise in a long time.
    Benny3000 likes this.
  14. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

2007 Weyerbacher XII

Well, sadly, this one has either (a) taken a downward turn or (b) entered its awkward adolescent phase. All of the beauty of this, one of my first favorite barleywines, has faded into a very mildly interesting sweet graininess. The last one we opened about a year ago was still excellent. The solo bottle I have left will remain where it is, since it'll either take a turn for the better or fade quietly into the grave.
    garymuchow likes this.
  15. gwguest

gwguest Savant (285) Kansas Jan 31, 2006

I've done two verticals blind of BCBS from 07-12 (I have the world's best neighbors) and the 09 stuck out from the rest in a big way. The 09 is delicious, but it's not going to turn into the 08 considering how much the 10 and 12 already share similarities. The 09 has always been boozier with far less chocolate and vanilla flavors. It's a great beer, but side by side with it's sisters, it really doesn't seem like the same thing.
    garymuchow likes this.
  16. jedwards

17. jedwards

Had some folks over last night for a few lambics:

1993 Cantillon Classic Gueuze: Terrific. Mellow but deep sourness, musty nose but bright mineral tartness on the palate. Interestingly, we noticed that the must was much more present in the early pours than in the later ones (bottle was moved from horizontal to upright about three weeks prior).
    1993 Cantillon Kriek: Sharp fruity sourness -- little identifiable cherry flavor specifically, but a fair bit of tannic astringency that I associate with fruited lambics. Good color.
    2005 Cantillon Kriek: Great, great. Way less harsh than the 2004 and 2007 Kriek tried in the near past. Lots of rich fruity cherry flavor.
    2005: Cantillon Classic Gueuze: Not my favorite -- biting sourness without any underlying flavor. Not bad but I'd sit on it a bit longer to see if it goes anywhere.
    2009-2012 Cantillon Classic Gueuze, courtesy of ShogoKawada - Awesome mini vertical. The 2011 has a rich musty flavor going on, bright young sourness but the palate is way older than the beer. The 2009 is also tasting quite nice. 2010 was unremarkable, and 2012 was still too young and citric for my taste.
    2012 vs 2006 Fou'foune: 2012 still has crazy fresh apricot flavor (thanks tender!). The 2006 has identifiable apricot but is very much into a harshly acidic mode. I do love the flavor of old FF though.
    1950s Hanssen's bottle: One of those ones. This particular bottle had a non-dissolving cork, which was nice, and was actually less musty than the '93 Cantillon gueuze. Some obvious oxidation but no cardboard/paper flavors, just a bit of hay and dirt. Quite tasty.
    2006 Hanssen's gueuze: Killer bottle thanks to JAHMUR, one of my favorites of the night. Bright, tart, but a lot of floral undertones.
    Very fresh Hanssen's gueuze: The latest batch to hit the US, also thanks to JAHMUR -- really fresh but more drinkable than I typically find very fresh gueuze. Effervescent but not incapacitating. Lots of straw/fresh alfalfa/cut grass flavor.

There's a few more reviews but I've misplaced a page of notes... will update when I find it.
  18. headbucket

headbucket Savant (265) Ohio Oct 30, 2007

2008 Anchor Christmas Ale.
    Was not a fan of it fresh as I am not too into the "spiced christmas ales" but somehow I ended up with two bottles of this so I put the second in the cellar and forgot about it after hearing some word that this one has some aging potential.
    The look is the best thing about this beer. Deep brown with a nice finger of light,fluffy, khaki colored head that leaves ridges of lacing around the glass.
    Smells very earthy. Something like freshly turned dirt, a little bit of pine, and a bit of sweet fruit at the end
    Taste isn't too horrible but I won't finishing the bottle. Tastes like a brown ale with a slightly acrid twang in the middle and leading into some piney bitterness and a hint of the X-mas ale spices. It leaves an unpleasant earthy aftertaste.
    Overall this was probably a bit more enjoyable than it was fresh because the christmas spices have toned down but not something that I am going to continue to drink, either today or in the future because it isn't a style i'm really into. This is one of the older beers that I have aged myself and drank and it doesn't seem to have deteriorated significantly from its age.
  19. traPISSED

traPISSED Zealot (80) Brazil Apr 18, 2013

2004 Cantillon Rose De Gambrinus 75cl

No pop from the cork, though the pour produced a slight head that vanished quickly. Typical cantillon lemon zest nose except this had raspberry seeds on top. Onion skin coulor meant that the appearance of raspberries had faded over the 9 years in the bottle. However the taste was very balanced. There was the cantillon lemony base lambic with fresh raspberry seeds, smoke and some Christmas spice possibly nutmeg. The sourness was strong but not painful. It created a very sharp and refreshing beer. The balance between the fruit and the base lambic was 50/50. Near perfection for me.

2004 Cantillon Gueuze 75cl

No pop from the cork. Very little carbonation left in this one. The nose was very funky and more 3F than cantillon. The pour produced no head to speak of. The palate was like an unblended lambic but the taste was supurb. The age had toned down the typical cantillon citrus character and added that funky 3F vibe. Imaging blending a Vintage 3F Gueuze with a fresh cantillon Geueze and you've got the idea. I quite liked the lack of carbonation and this one would hold up for many years to come. Sourness was mellow.

2002 Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek

No pop from the cork. Very funky nose and the beer had a prickly carbonation. The colour was muddy murky burgundy/brown/red depending on the pour. The taste was sharp cantillon lambic with a deep cherry undertone. The cherry became more prominent the more the sediment became involved. A very tasty Kriek indeed but I've had better bottles of this vintage within the last year or two. Bottle to bottle variation really comes into play with a 11 year old beer. Still pretty fantastic though!
  20. So bummed I missed this (if this was the 13th)!
  21. CaseyB23

CaseyB23 Disciple (70) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

Firestone 14. Disappointed. This did not hold up as well as 13. It was enjoyable, but I thought this beer was one of their better releases when it was fresh. Perhaps my taste buds have been spoiled by the great beers that have come along since?

Firestone 15. Fantastic! Could be a top 10 beer in my opinion. So much better now than it was just a year ago. I have a few more left, and will be moving these up the list to drink sooner rather than later.

Sucaba 2012 - the booze all but disappeared. Still a great a beer, but I think this was better fresh.
    Bluecane likes this.
  22. Just cracked open a 2009 John Henry 3 Lick Spiker. Lots of bourban character and very smooth. Still has a nice maltiness to it and the dark fruit is mostly on the nose. Coats your mouth nicely. Carbonated but not no foam. Black-brown in color and no light gets through.

I got this brew from a cellar clean out by mikeyv35. I'm thinking I may have to buy some more Spikers for my own cellar to enjoy in a few years!
  23. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

2009 Stone Old Guardian and IRS on back-to-back nights. The OG is a bit rough, soapy and metallic. The IRS has plentiful vinous notes playing off the roast with a fair amount of cola sweetness. I've discovered over the past few years that there are very few beers I enjoy more with several years' age vs fresh-1yr old. I love both these beers fresh and won't be aging them for very long in the future. Don't get me wrong, these have "developed" just fine, but with age they've lost their distinctive characteristics.
  24. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Old Stock vert! I've had a 4-pack of '10 sitting in the cellar for a while. I traded for a bottle of '06 not too long ago, and picked up a bottle of '13 just for this. So '06, '10, '13 side by side. Upon pouring, I was shocked at how much darker the '06 was than the rest. The '10 and '13 were pretty similar, thought the '13 had a bit more carbonation, unsurprisingly.

'06: One of the best beer experiences I've had. I usually find 1-3 years as the sweet spot for beers that age well, with the obvious exceptions of Thomas Hardy's and JW Lees; thus, I expected this one to be interesting, but past its prime. Boy was I wrong! This was just phenomenal. Sure there was some light oxidation, but rather than imparting an unpleasant cardboard flavor, it gave the beer some very nice sherry and raisin notes. Plums and molasses come through as well. Syrupy, but not totally uncarbonated.

'10: Completely different from the '06. Not very fruity at all. I mostly get toffee, black tea, and biscuity malt. Moderate carbonation

'13: Much sharper than the other two, mostly due to strong hops and a noticeable, but not unpleasant alcohol burn. Ample carbonation contributes to this effect as well.

This is one of my all time favourite beers. I love it fresh, I already knew I enjoy it with a couple of years on it, but this is by far the oldest one I've had and I'm pleasantly surprised that it seems to still be improving after 7 years! This experience really drives home the fact that I need to spend less time chasing whales and just buying readily available, reasonably priced beers like this by the case for my cellar.
  25. On this brisk evening in Illinois it was time to crack a 12oz bottle of 09 BCBS!

Appearance: black bodied with short lasting dark brown cap. stains the glass its so dark!

Smell: bourbon is still big, sweet, and slightly spicy. vanilla, wood, roast/char, chocolate, and tobacco notes.

Taste: everything listed from the nose of the beer. the vanilla, wood, tobacco, and char are just huge and flavorful...still! I love the intensity that still remains in this beer, but its starting to strike a really nice balance right now of all those big barrel aged stout flavors!

Mouthfeel: thick, palate coating, and oily. The carbonation levels have dropped significantly, but it works well and enhances the experience/flavors of this beer. Its really getting smooth now.

Overall: yeah. 2009 is the best vintage of BCBS that I have ever had; I have had the privalage to drink 07-12 BCBS on several occasions. 2008 is way over the hill and overhyped(I have said this for well over a year now...just ask all my local beer tasting buddies they will confirm me saying this constantly almost to the point of a personal rant, lol:D ). 2009 BCBS is the new 2008 BCBS. And its the last year of the screw top BCBS as well, but that doesnt seems to factor in to anything because its aging like a champ!
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  26. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (375) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Sipping on a 2012 New Glarus Thumbprint Barleywine. All the hops that confused everyone at the onset are going, leaving nothing but sweet malty goodness. I really loved this beer fresh, but I have to say that I think it is aging very well after 15 months. Can't wait to keep trying these over the next few years.
  27. clegolfski

clegolfski Savant (305) Ohio Jul 13, 2008

2008 De Struise Aardmonnik/Earthmonk
    Opens with a slight hiss and takes a superhuman pour to get out even a little bit of head which disappears quickly. As fast as the head disappears a big time earthy, tart aroma rises. The color is a deep deep brown with a slight reddish tint.

I had one of these guys about a year ago and found it thin and little underwhelming in complexity. While the body is still thing there is a lot going on. Not sure if there was some bottle variation or just another year for some funk to develop. The same deal as from the aroma earthy-tart-earthy flavor progression. Get tobacco and super dry dark chocolate with raspberries. This is what I had in mind when i ordered these online.
  28. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (370) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

2010 Kuhnhenn Lunar Eclipse

These were sold at the 2010 Winter Solstice party. I remember thinking it was a pretty decent black IPA then, maybe a little boozey. Had one a little under a year later at the 2011 FFF 15th anniversary party and thought it was drinking better than fresh. Before going to DLD last weekend I was rummaging around some boxes looking for a few beers to bring and came across this. Didn't end up opening it so threw it in the fridge when I got home.

Bottle opened with a slight hiss; poured a deep dark brown, like antiqued varnish. Was a small but not completely insignificant tan head. Nose was really pretty awesome. Reminded me of peak Nemesis '10 (1.5-2 year) - super rich buttery toffee, slightly dark fruity, burnt caramel. The taste didn't quite match up to the nose. It was very pleasantly sweet and malty, but it finished with a slightly off-putting bitterness. The mouthfeel was pleasant and creamy.

I really enjoyed this beer. It's probably not going to get a whole lot better, but this is one of those cases where the cellar journey has taken a beer to new and interesting places (PSA: don't cellar beer. It's a dirty habit).