1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

April Brews Day 2012

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by beertunes, Apr 3, 2012.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I just wanted to suggest that anybody thinking about a trip up to Bellingham might want to come up for the April Brews Day fest, 4/28. 25-30 breweries invited and the event starts at 5:30 (it's held in the same location as the Farmers Market, so they have to wait until it closes down). You could do a beer day in the 'Ham, Boundary Bay is right across the street from the event site, Chuckanut is about a 10 minute walk away, and the new Kulshan Brewing 20-30 minute walk (or it's on the bus line or a 5minute cab ride). Plus there are several good beer bars in town. They had a special rate at one of the local motels, but it looks like they're sold out. There are other motels within the same walking distance. Hope to see some of you up here! http://www.maxhigbee.org/april-brews-day.html

2. beertunes

Some of the beers are starting to be announced. This from North Sound's FB page:
    April Brew's Day. Saturday, (4/28) at Depot Market Square in Bellingham. http://www.maxhigbee.org/april-brews-day.html. We're bringing two casks of our ESB, one with mulling spices and the other with Cherry Jolly Ranchers. Plus DNA Oat Red Rye and Hop Down Under IPA.

3. beertunes

Just wanted to bump this again, in case anyone's looking for something to do this weekend. I believe the VIP tickets are sold out (both Chuckanut and Boundary Bay are sold out, but there might be a few left at either of the Food Co-op locations). The motel has opened some more rooms at the discount price (and motel rooms are tough to get around here right now, due to all the refinery workers in repairing/doing a turn around at Cherry Point). It's always a fun event, hopefully see a few of you there!

4. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (540) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

I really want to go, but will probably just do something else instead :( Are you working the event this year? Past years have been a blast! Hopefully the weather holds!

5. beertunes

Yeah, I'll probably be pouring for someone (I have something lined up, but it's not finalized), but not BB. The event is right across the street from the brewery, so a lot of employees that don't get to go to the other fests like to pour at this one. I've been to all of them, except last year (I was on, ahem, "vacation"). The first was at Bellingham Yacht Club. 6 breweries, 12 beers and a homebrew demo. The event has really grown. BTW, VIP tix are totally gone and regular admission tix should be available at the door, and are still available around town.

6. beertunes

Thought I'd give a quick recap. The event was a success, lots of good beer and a good crowd. They closed off the street, so we had the whole of the farmers market and Railroad Avenue to spread out in. My favorite thing was the Oatmeal Stout/Bacon brownie from Boundary Bay, delicious! My favorite beers were the cask ESB with cherry Jolly Rancher and cask ESB with pumpkin pie spice, both from North Sound, the Foggy Noggin Diablo El Sol Pale and Boundary Bay's Ginger Peach Ale. The list of winners of both Peoples Choice and Judges Choice are listed here: http://www.maxhigbee.org/event-details.html

I had to be at work at 9:30, in a reasonably sober condition, so my tasting was limited and I had to leave early. A big Thank You to Anacortes Brewing for letting me pour their tasty brews and I hope to see some BAs at next years event, always the last Saturday of April.

7. googzoid10

googzoid10 Aficionado (130) Oregon Nov 10, 2008

and the weather held off for the most part which was great.