1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Arcadia 3 Year Cellar Aged Cereal Killer

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by HomeBrewed, Apr 8, 2013.

1. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (380) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

I just picked up a couple bottles of this, but I can't find any info on said brew. The bottle doesn't say anything, nor does Arcadia's website. What's the deal with this beer? Is it bottled and then aged for 3 years at their brewery? Is it barrel aged and then bottled? My beer instinct is telling me it was bottled and then aged for 3 years, but I am not positive. Seems like if it was barrel aged, the bottle would say so. Any information on this?

2. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

It is not barrel aged. Like you said, if it was, it would say so, and more than likely cost more. Don't know about the rest.

3. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

It was not barrel aged. It was cellared for 3 years. I don't know how (kegs maybe) but it seems like bottling then cellaring would take up too much space and they would risk too much bottle variation.

4. BM watsonmd if you want to know about it, I just traded him a bottle of it. Arcadia randomly releases weird vintages like that. For example, 2007 Cereal Killer was JUST released recently, as was 2007 Imperial Stout.

5. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

The only Cerial Killer I had was 3-4 years ago. It was aged a year or 2, & it was fantastic! One of the better Arcadia experiences I've had.

6. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (380) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Makes sense of the regular 2009 Cereal Killer I also bought today.

7. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I just had the 3 year cellar aged Cereal Killer bomber last night and was not very impressed personally.

8. There is 2010 Cereal Killer on the shelves of my local beer store, does that count?

9. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Depends what temp it was at and how much light was hitting it.

10. 55° low light

11. robertvrabel

robertvrabel Disciple (60) Michigan Nov 23, 2010

A group of us tried it in a tasting a few weeks back. Was not impressed at all either, was a dumper compared to all the other great beer we had on hand.

12. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

weird how polarizing cereal killer is. my brewing partner hated it (thought it was like a bad rogue / magic hat beer, ie very bad), i thought it was an above average barleywine. (shrug)

13. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I would put Cereal Killer pretty low on my list of barleywines, especially compared to something like Weyerbacher Insanity which isn't too hard to get back east but is WAY better.