1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Arcadia BBA Cereal Killer and Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Sep 11, 2012.

1. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

I have barrel aged barleywine. Did they do another cellar aged varietal?

2. You likely have the bourbon barrel-aged version in a 12 oz bottle that was released in December. This latest version is in 22 oz bottles and has "Special Edition" on the label, and it is the regular Cereal Killer barleywine that has been aged for 3 years. No details are given about how it was aged, but bourbon barrels were NOT involved.

3. kylelenk

Plenty of stores have vintage imperial stout and barleywine. Don't they age all the 12oz. for 2 or so years? The fresh Imperial Stout this year is labeled "2011" vintage. I've also seen a few barleywines that are "2010" vintage. Also picked up a bottle of 2007 Vintage Imperial Stout with the old snowy night graphic. Maybe this was released in 2009?

4. You may be seeing old stock on shelves that is aged in the store for its 'vintage.' (Regular crown caps; no red wax seal.) To my knowledge the brewery does not release old stuff. (I don't know where the 2011 labels came from if that seem to be a recent release unless it is a printer's error on the label.) They did have 5-6 different beers with different vintages from their cellar that were for sale at the brewery anniversary party and later in December until they ran out, but I have not heard that any of that stuff went into distro.

This most recent release last week of Cereal Killer in the red-waxed, 22 oz bottles is something new, and the label says "Special Edition" in big letters. It's source or method of aging has not been stated by the brewery. I don't know how widespread its distribution is, but I'm guessing it was a small batch. I was at the brewery tonight and they didn't have any more on display.

The BBA versions of Cereal Killer and the Imperial Stout (12 oz bottles and also red-waxed) that were just released in December were definitely aged in bourbon barrels (I think for 22 months), but I don't think anyone starts counting a 'vintage' year for these until the year they are released. The labels for these are very similar to each other and to the Shipwreck Porter, but these labels are not at all similar to the regular Cereal Killer and Imperial Stout labels.

5. LSMroz

LSMroz Savant (255) Illinois Jan 25, 2013

If anyone in the NW burbs of Chicago is looking for the BBA Imperial Stout DM me and I'll let you know where I just found some.

6. jb123

jb123 Savant (485) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

yeah i definetly just got four of the 2009 vintage...tons on the shelf yet. seems like that 22oz may or may not be a rip off.

7. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Has anyone tasted the aged CK yet? Why haven't I seen it around Grand Rapids?

8. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Sicilianos in Grand Rapids, MI got an additional allocation, maybe a dozen or so of each.

9. sibesa

sibesa Initiate (15) Jan 24, 2013

Is this beer still available to buy?

10. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

anyone know when their gonna release Shipwreck porter and will there be a 3 yr aged version

11. Sam_E

Sam_E Aficionado (175) Ohio Oct 11, 2012

probably depends on where you are at. my local store in NW Ohio still has plenty of the BBA imperial stout.

12. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (355) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

Sicilianos had some of both when I was in today. If you would like any of the BA imperial stout, bellavinos has at least 8 bottles and no limit. Just tried both last night, worth a try for sure but the CK needs a little tie to cool off.
    Cheers,

13. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Weird, I was in there earlier in the week and only saw the Imperial. I'm probably just blind...

14. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

ISO :s

15. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (355) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

They may have just pulled some out due to the tasting they had today. With identical labels its really hard to see, a different color of wax would have been nice.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  16. I just had the BBA Imperial Stout last night (12 oz) and picked up a BBA Cereal Killer today (also 12). Eastman Party Store in Midland has about 100 bottles of each.

17. BlackNote

BlackNote Savant (345) Michigan Apr 5, 2013

Thur, Sept 19

Shipwreck Porter Release and Beer Dinner

103 W. Michigan Ave. Battle Creek, MI 49017 Show map

when 12:00 PM to 11:59 PMnotes We're releasing Shipwreck Porter on "International Talk like a Pirate Day." Join us at the brewery to purchase and drink bottles of the highly anticipated 2013 batch of Shipwreck and let your inner pirate out! A beer dinner will take place the day of the release, details to come.

Centennial likes this.
  18. TheBeerTruck

TheBeerTruck Savant (275) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

The Barrel Aged Ship Wrecked Porter normally comes out when the Barrel Aged Cereal Killer and Imperial Stout towards the beginning of the year. All of which spend twelve months in barrels; however, the porter was not released at the same time this year. They decided to keep it in the barrel for an extra ten months for a total of 22. It should be out around September or October. I can't wait!

19. BlackNote

The release party is Thur, Sept 19th as I stated. It is on Arcadia's facebook and their events calendar found on their homepage. Or do you mean sent out for distribution Sept/Oct?

20. TheBeerTruck

Distribution.

21. TheBeerTruck

That and sharing the details about the number of months spent in barrels.

22. Hey, does this mean it will be distributed Sept/Oct, or is it a brewery only release? Thanks.

23. TheBeerTruck

Distributed.

mtomlins likes this.
  24. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (580) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

I know this stuff was on shelves in East St Louis for quite a while. It was our least favorite of a blinded BA BW tasting we did, but still solid and worth the $7-8 for a 12ozer I thought.

25. BlackNote

I actually found two bottles of the Shipwreck Porter in April along with a few BBA Cereal Killer and a bunch of BBA Imp Stout. Only tried the BBA Cereal Killer and BBA Imp Stout. Didn't really like the BBA Imp Stout.

26. Thanks! I found BBA Cereal Killer also, but never saw Shipwreck on the selves. I was just wondering if I needed to send my dad as proxy to the release event (he lives in Battle Creek), or if he could wait and pick it off the self at Mega-Bev or summin.

27. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I have some confusion regarding your statement. You mention that Shipwreck "normally" comes out at the beginning of the year with BA Cereal Killer and Imperial Stout. However, last year was the first year in which BA Cereal Killer/Imperial Stout were bottled and distributed. Shipwreck was also spent 22 months in barrels when previously released. There are some wholes there, maybe you can provide some additional information to provide an explanation.

decadance and trginter like this.
  28. TheBeerTruck

To word it slightly different, BA Shipwreck Porter normally would have come out around the same time that BA Cereal Killer and Imperial Stout did earlier this year.

As for the aging, I am correct in saying that Shipwreck Porter normally spends 12 months in Bourbon barrels until now as it will spend a total of 22 months in them.

http://www.arcadiaales.com/index.php/ales/beer-brands/vintage-beers/shipwreck-porter.html

29. kzoobrew

BA Cereal/IS were slated to come out late last year and Shipwreck was first released (12oz format) on Valentines day. Sure they are released in the sameish season but not the same time.

I realize that Arcadias site says 12 months but do a little more digging and you will find that this extended aging seems to be much more common than the 12 months.

http://beerpulse.com/2012/09/arcadi...er-ba-imperial-stout-nut-brown-london-porter/
    http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/2011/02/arcadia_brewing_cos_barrel-age.html

30. jb123

jb123 Savant (485) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

This has went too far.

31. TheBeerTruck

Actually, all three came out at the exact same hour.

And for crying out loud, why the hell should I have to do more digging when the information comes from the breweries website! Just point that out in the first place then...at the exact same time not around it. ;)

32. kzoobrew

This statement seems to contradict your previous statements.

I have a book, it says there are 48 stars on the American flag. You know what? They were absolutely correct, when the book was written. A breweries website is a great source of information but when you are presented with factual information from reputable sources it would be foolish to cling to one source without digging deeper into the others.

The information you are providing is misleading at best, incredibly inaccurate at worst. This is not a personal attack but if information is going to be shared it only benefits people if the information is accurate.

33. Ummmm, first new batch of BA cereal killer yes.....They did the 3yr BA cereal killer (2009) released earlier this year in 2013. Just saying

34. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I'm fairly confident that the three year was a cellared cereal killer not barrel aged, way to be misleading :)

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  35. TheBeerTruck

I concede this stupid argument. You're right. In this day and age of instant access to information and the ability to change it at any given time, I should question a breweries website as if it were a book printed more than a half century ago. Come on! I'd deserve your you're right and I'm wrong subtleties if I was stating this based on something I heard from a friend who's friends with the assistant brewers second cousin who shared a PBR with the head brewers uncle.

Next time, just simply share the correct info! And shame on Arcadia Ales!

TheBeerDad likes this.
  36. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

You mean Tim, love that guy.

TheBeerTruck likes this.
  37. TheBeerDad has it right; the three year Cereal Killer was just aged beer, not bourbon barrel aged. The brewery never released any info if they were aged in oak, kegs, bottles, or what have you.

38. The BBA Cereal Killer and Imperial Stout were released at the brewery's anniversary parry in December, 2012. I believe that the promos for the party also said Shipwreck Porter, and I think it was available on tap at the party (I wasn't there so I'm going from memory of what I remember in the promo). However, no bottles of Shipwreck were released, so I suspect that the Shipwreck that was on tap was probably from a keg of the 2011 release, thus there was no 2012 version.

Since Arcadia released these beers into distro a few weeks after the party and they showed up on store shelves in January it starts to become confusing whether to call these beers the 2012 or the 2013 versions. (Who knows if there will be an anniversary party release again of the CK and IS, like maybe they were a one time shot.) And since there may have been some Shipwreck on tap at the anni party (and stated in the promo), I can see where someone could assume a new release of Shipwreck occurred at the same time. Communication sometimes is not the best thing from Arcadia.

39. Yeah you guys are right, Now i'm excited lol. The cellar aged wasn't fantastic in terms of barley wine. I'm looking forward to the winter solstace party at DH for monster 29

40. kylelenk

BA Cereal Killer is a knockout. Unbelievable brew.

BlackNote likes this.