1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Arcadia BBA Imp Stout

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jakeox, Jan 23, 2013.

1. jakeox

jakeox Initiate (0) Illinois Dec 15, 2012

I haven't seen a lot of chatter on this release and I'm curious to hear what other people think about it. I thought it was really flavorful, like a less boozy but more coffee/chocolate forward BCBS. Definitely on the sweeter side. Granted that I drank it after a Two Hearted and a Hopslam, so my palate (and focus) might not have been ideally prepped, but I thought it was tasty. I picked up another today so I can sample again.

Anyone else drinking this?

2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Had one so far. Thought it was thin and underwhelming. Watery, even. I'm interested in hearing what others thought. I have one left that I'm interested in revisiting in the future. Maybe I just had an off night.

3. jakeox

I could well have been in the "I love you man" phase of the night at that point, so I'm curious to see how it holds up on the second try. It did take me way too long to get the wax off the bottle.

4. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (235) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

Did not care for it. Very thin can't see how it was in barrels for 23 months

5. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (435) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

Had the BB Cereal Killer and felt the exact same way about it. Way too thin, minimal barrel.

6. mjmadsen21

mjmadsen21 Aficionado (245) Indiana Jan 13, 2012

Both sucked...thin, watery, kind of off putting bitterness at the end. I wanted to like them so much and I was really dissapointed. Think the regular versions of these beers are far superior...even though I have come to not really care for arcadia.

Dontcounttoday and founder26 like this.
  7. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Honestly I am done with arcadia, after having a horrible time at their brewery, then paying 8 bucks a bottle for the bb stout and barleywine only to find out how much I disliked them.

8. NSK79

NSK79 Savant (375) Illinois Jun 4, 2012

It was not memorable.

9. adamdd

adamdd Savant (330) Michigan May 9, 2011

I thought that the BB Cereal Killer was quite good, but agree that the Imperial Stout was thin. I will say that I felt the same way about BB Shipwreck Porter and after 8-12 months it came together and was really good. Hopefully some time in the bottle will help these out.

KzooBeerBrian likes this.
  10. The cereal killer was good. The stout was underwhelming a bit though, however that's exactly how I felt about last years black note, thin and underwhelming and lots of people people liked that, maybe it tasted more rare.

11. JPortillo

JPortillo Savant (290) Illinois Mar 12, 2012

Cereal killer was good lil boozy but good. I thought the imperial stout was thin & extremely boozy...didn't care much for it. Interested in trying the shipwreck porter.

12. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I tried it last night. It's pretty solid, but nothing mind blowing. Looks good, smells good, really nice mouthfeel, but the flavors didn't pop. I thought the alcohol was well hidden at 12%, but it was still a sipper. I'm interested to see what it would be like in a year. There's a good amount of it here in Cleveland.

13. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I bought 3 bottles, 1 for drinking 2 for cellar. Was so disappointed with my first bottle I grabbed another out of the cellar 2 days later to make sure the bottle wasn't infected or my palate was broken that evening. Sadly I was disappointed twice, I was really looking forward to this beer considering how much I enjoyed shipwreck.

One good thing about this BB stout is that it has shown me what an art the great ones are, KBS, black note, BCBS, darklord. Those are masterful beers in the style each with there own unique qualities. Long story short, Arcadia dropped the ball on this one.

14. Thought the Imp Stout was Ok, nothing stellar.

The BB Cereal Killer though, I thought was really good and will age into something even better

15. jakeox

Interesting ... doesn't sound like anyone else has liked this so far. Weird! I had a BCBS right after and enjoyed the contrast. I've had plenty of other BB stuff that's underwhelmed me but this didn't.

16. cates1tg

cates1tg Savant (255) Michigan Jul 18, 2010

Just did a blind tasting this past weekend with some michigan BB stouts (KBS, Black Note, Arcadia, Oil Rigger, Morningwood). and I put it right behind KBS and just ahead of Black Note. My buddy had it third behind KBS and Blacknote. Overall, I thought that it was pretty good, a little over priced maybe but I enjoyed it.

17. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

cool man! we are doing a tasting soon with a bunch of ba stouts so will see what happens. btw where abouts from west michigan are you from?

18. cates1tg

cates1tg Savant (255) Michigan Jul 18, 2010

just north of Grand Rapids in the Rockford area.

19. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Inspired by this thread, I opened the one that Steimie sent me tonight. It's not bad, but the bitter finish is a bit off-putting. Other than that it is really nice. Will open a BCBS afterward to see if the over the top bitterness is just my palate being dumb.

20. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

It ain't your palate. The beer isn't bad, it just isn't very special. I'm glad to hear someone else that I know thought it was just OK.

21. MarkIntihar

I'm still gonna drink the BCBS afterward just to be sure ;)

Steimie likes this.
  22. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Savant (485) Ohio Jun 18, 2003

Mixed the Arcadia BB stout with a Founders IS and the combo was delicious.

beercanman likes this.
  23. jakeox

I did this too (after a Two Hearted and a Hopslam). I enjoyed the contrast but man was I feeling good at that point.

24. MarkIntihar

Yep, think my palate is fucked right now, cuz this BCBS is not tasting so great to me either. Probably should have given it one more day to get over my sickness... :(

25. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

It was just ok. Not worth the price. I thought it smelled like BA rasputin. When I tasted it, it was way to thin. I'll stick with BA rasptuin

26. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

I was underwhelmed last year by the Porter, with "thin" being my main impression. Have one each of the new release of the Stout and the Cereal Killer and now feel prepared to be underwhelmed once again....