1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Are abbreviations and acronyms getting out of control on the trading forums?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Rochefort10nh, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Are abbreviations and acronyms on the trading forums getting out of control?

1. Yes

63.2%
  2. No

36.8%
  1. Simple yes or no poll. Are abbreviations and acronyms on the trading forums getting out of control and confusing/exasperating people?
  2. I don't always understand what people are talking about. (IDAUWPATA)
  3. Useless and misleading poll. There isn't a clean "No" the way the poll is worded. Most of the people who vote "yes" will likely be people who have never traded, don't trade, or never plan on trading. If there's a way to limit the poll to people who actively participate in trading, that may worth something. Even then, it isn't that honest of a poll either since the alternative wording would be Yes/No "Do you want everything on the trading forum to be spelled out?" For Trade: Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout Two Thousand Thirteen, In Search Of: Tired Hands Brewing Company The Light that Spills Out of the Hole in Your Head. Anyone?

I mean, really? How far are you going to police acronyms and abbreviations? Heady is no longer acceptable, you must say "Heady Topper" because noobs don't know what "Heady" is? '13? WTF (what the fuck) is that? Anniversary 13? Feet 13?
    BrettHead, mcrago, mlhyatt and 2 others like this.
  4. markgugs

markgugs Champion (960) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

I voted "yes" and I trade quite a bit :)
    wrp, lowbit, black13 and 4 others like this.
  5. Misleading? Too funny!! A clean no??? It's quite a simple question. Why should it be limited to people who actually trade when many of the people who don't are too confused or intimidated by all the unintelligible acronyms being thrown around left and right to ever want to enter the fray.

Try to remove yourself from your extreme trading mindset and think of what an outsider/newbie would think of all of it.
  6. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

It can be overwhelming but just post and ask what it is if you can't figure it out. You'll get an answer almost immediately.

I didn't know what CR17 was, now I know I want one lol.
    ufmj and mythaeus like this.
  7. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Savant (360) Pennsylvania May 13, 2012

Just curious as to why someone would be imtimidated to ask what an acronym stands for? Also, if they have to ask, chances are they won't have what is being asked for or offered.
    BeerKangaroo, ufmj and mythaeus like this.
  8. jivex5k

They might want that acronym beer though. If I have a beer that someone is ISO and they are offering an acronym, I first google it with beer added to the end, and if I get nothing then I ask.
    mythaeus likes this.
  9. PapiFuego

PapiFuego Aficionado (125) New York Aug 20, 2013

Since the thread is made, I see the following abbreviations a lot. What does MBCP, VSB, and CR17 stand for?
  10. Because they don't want to look foolish. Plenty of snark in the trading forums.
    tommyz likes this.
  11. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Savant (495) Missouri May 11, 2012

I voted yes. I have no fucking clue what people are talking about a lot of the time

12. 1. MBCP = Funky Buddha's Maple Bacon Coffee Porter
    2. VSB = New Glarus' R&D Very Sour Blackberry
    3. CR 17 = I don't not know. Don't think I've actually seen that one despite it being mentioned in this thread.
  13. jivex5k

Whoops I meant CW16....LOL
    Central Waters Sixteen
  14. Ah, I knew that one. Thanks.
  15. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

ISO?
    mythaeus, concealed and F2brewers like this.
  16. jivex5k

Nah I'm all set. ;)
    concealed, AlienSwineFlu and cfh64 like this.
  17. Ckoz

Ckoz Aficionado (220) Michigan Feb 15, 2014

Voted yes.

And I trade pretty frequently in the few months I have been here. Its mostly beers i'll likely never want to try so it doesn't bother me too much but it is a lot to try and decode.
  18. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Yes. Not everyone is reading BeerAdvocate's trading forums plus the regional subforums every single day to know what all the different beers are being sought out nationally on a day-to-day basis. I try to keep away from the acronyms whenever possible when posting a ISO:FT post.
    markgugs likes this.
  19. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Savant (420) Vermont Jan 8, 2010

I actually had someone at a bar ask me if id ever tried "BT". Was a conversation about beer, so I knew what he was talking about. Just found it extremely odd that this fella went as far as to speak in acronyms when referencing a beer in person.
  20. You can't beat Busch Tallboys
    cavedave likes this.
  21. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Advocate (505) Colorado Jan 18, 2013

Someone help me out on OTWOA
  22. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

On the Wings of Armageddon from DC Brau
  23. I work in finance and acronyms are ubiquitous, whats a couple more?
    mythaeus likes this.
  24. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Savant (430) Texas Jun 7, 2013

Now that we're on the subject, I know what a BIF is, but what is a LIF?
  25. Lottery It Forward
    Theortiz01 likes this.
  26. I usually make the connections pretty easily but it took me a month to figure out what VSB was because I only every saw it written as that and I don't follow New Glarus.
    cavedave likes this.
  27. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Better to use the full names of beers, and let other traders think you're a noob, than to use acronyms for everything, and let them know for sure.
    gtcastle likes this.