1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Are Non-Ticketed Cali Brewery Releases No Longer Worth It?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by GhettoFabulous, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

I showed up a week or two later and got a few bottles of Beat.

2. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Yeah that was the funny part. We waited 20 minutes for a table and got our beer and a seat long before people standing in the bottle line.

3. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

lol @ "2 hours in line, thats it?"

Arbitrator likes this.
  4. i didn't imply there are never lines, i implied that they're generally sane. 2 hours compared to overnight is pretty reasonable. also beat lasted like a month so those people waited for no reason : )

the toronado 25 release was very well done and ffac was smooth as well

5. jtmartino

I was just replying to your statement that "only line to get the bottles is the normal wait for a table."

Those releases were fine, but they could've been done better. Pretty clear that Alesmith sets the bar for this stuff. Realistically I don't really care too much - the more beer I try, the more I think like Aptos's statement earlier in the thread.

6. Please stay out of the beer business. It is not RRs job to alleviate supply and demand. They sell what they make for the price they want and they're happy with it. Leave them be.

pinkgrenade likes this.
  7. Besides, unless they want to hog up more of their resources brewing only younger- a process that I'm still amazed is done on such a large scale with such consistency, it means the other taps on their board suffer.

With kern, I heard they are at the mercy of the amount of water they're allocated in that very small town.

8. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

They could discontinue half of the taps on their board and no one would care. Start with Redemption and Salvation. Kill Damnation, or only brew it to make D23.

pmarlowe likes this.
  9. Are you saying they shouldn't pour those beers or they should stop brewing them?

10. evilc

Stop brewing them.

domtronzero likes this.
  11. Speak for yourself, because you sure as hell don't speak for me.

All three of those are great beers.

rob133 and albertq17 like this.
  12. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

Please try some reading comprehension next time, eh. I mean, your response to what I quoted doesn't even make sense. I'll give you a quick recap of the overall conversation though to help bring you up to speed:

1) Person claimed that RR is doing limited releases right.
    2) I said that I thought that RR's limited releases are terrible
    3) People chimed in claiming that wasn't RR's fault, and there was nothing they could do to alleviate the problems
    4) I called bullshit, and gave several things that RR could do if they wanted.

Every brewery out there is entitled to sell their beer however they want. They can do it legally or illegally, they can gouge people or be super fair, they can sell tickets or hold gladiator fights to determine who gets their beers. It's totally up to them. I don't really give a shit, besides not buying beer that's too much of a pain in the ass to buy.

If RR is happy doing what they're doing, then more power to them. I'd certainly be doing differently were I them, but I'm not - and perhaps that's why I'm not in their shoes in the first place.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  13. o_O ...wow.

14. All I was responding to was your suggestion that RR should raise their prices to lower and/or meet the demand.

And really, there is not much that RR could reasonably do.

15. rrryanc

I still don't understand why it's unreasonable for them to raise prices? I understand that it's less desirable as a consumer with limited disposable income if they do. But to claim that it's inherently unreasonable? Why?

16. There are a few reasons I can think of at the moment.

• Their IPAs will sit on shelves longer (freshness is a big issue for them)
    • They will be seen as "greedy"
    • Customers will get pissed off and rant on countless beer forums
    • They have no reason to lower demand.

17. rrryanc

Their IPAs are on a meet-the-truck basis right now. Another $1 or $2/bottle's not going to drastically increase the shelf life.
    I think it's widely held that RR undercharges for their IPAs. And for limited beers, I think we're going to see a drastic shift of what "greedy" actually means in the next few years.
    Clearly, they're avoiding that now...
    Reading comprehension really isn't your strongest area, is it? The whole premise of this conversation is that IF Russian River wanted to alleviate the ridiculousness that accompanied their special releases they could do so by raising prices. And that wouldn't be an unreasonable thing for them to do if alleviating the shitshows was their goal.

18. You're quite the philosopher my friend. Keep it up, Plato.

19. I sincerely hope you are never employed by anyone in the brewing industry.

Unlike (apparently) you, some of us actually do have to pay attention to our finances when it comes to our beer appreciation. It sucks to be priced out of beers that you once enjoyed, simply because a brewery decides to jack up the price.

abecall98 and Enish266 like this.
  20. So everyone in this thread that thinks the way releases are going should try this. Step one get there early. Step two bring sharpie marker. Step three regardless of where you are in line go to front of line and number everyone that is in line on underside of their wrist with number of place in line. After you reach your number continue past this point to reassure the line is correct. Call out whoever does not want to agree to this.

21. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (825) California Nov 29, 2006

Nothing worse then getting gauged on Belgium beer when I order online. Irregardless, I could care less if its that good to my palette. Thats just in my opinion, though.

22. Not sure where you're going with that.

Look, my point is that yeah, RR could raise prices. Or they could drop everything and just produce PtY and D23 and Supplication. But to me, that would suck.

23. rrryanc

I take it this is the thread where people selectively read my posts and have a lot of trouble with overall reading comprehension.

How about this, take a moment and re-read what I wrote. If you're still confused, let me know and I'll explain it for you.

24. No, i read all of what you wrote. I just disagree with your "if" philosophy. I have no problem with their business practice. I think the people that wait in line 2 hours for PtY are morons, but I think RR's business model is just fine. The 'community' is the problem, not Russian River.

Thanks for the condescension though.

25. rrryanc

Either you didn't read what I wrote, or you didn't get it.

The whole point was that if Russian River wanted to alleviate their ridiculous releases, then it would be entirely within their power to do so. Saying otherwise is bullshit.

Anyways, I'm done derailing this thread.

26. deleted - was derailing too. and misinterpreting rryanc's point.

27. I doubt RR wants to "Stop brewing" certain beers and hold back/derail their production schedule simply to serve more people Younger. It's all about the experience. Younger may get you through the door - and many folks who never had Elder or any of their other brews will see the news pieces about it, but they're using it partially as a loss leader to get those in the doors who will be introduced to their other selection and potentially be fans of those other bottles.

Making the board nothing but majority younger defeats this notion.

28. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (540) California Apr 3, 2008

No Salvation means no Consecration.

29. Rau71

I think all breweries should stop brewing beers I don't like to focus more on beers I do like.

1424IpA, tyrsis, Arbitrator and 2 others like this.
  30. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

And deliever directly to my home at $3/22oz or 750ml. In fact, I demand they cater directly to ME!

albertq17 and Rau71 like this.
  31. Rau71

I think you are onto something here.

32. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

or...MOAR consencration :rolleyes:

domtronzero likes this.
  33. RR brews first and foremost for the Santa Rosa locals that visit the pub, not for beer dorks. Maybe those beers do well there?

34. evilc

u mad bro?

1424IpA and Franch like this.
  35. Everytime someone trots out this tired meme, my estimation of his IQ drops 50 points. Keep it up.

abecall98 and AptosBeerDrinker like this.
  36. This must be the explanation. Same as why Alpine bothers to brew Willy, Alpine Ale, McRed, etc.

37. evilc

Man, your jib cuts so deep.

38. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

U mad br-.... fuck.

KevSal, pmarlowe and HopHead84 like this.
  39. jtmartino

As a member of BA, does this surprise you?

Truth. Beer geeks and aficionados make up a small percentage of the average beer establishment's foot traffic. This same line of reasoning applies towards bigger craft breweries and their flagship beers. Most of the people who buy beer in the US don't give a shit about BA stuff, or sours, or imperial anything.

40. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (270) California Nov 22, 2011

never ceases to amaze me how peeps can be complete a-holes to each other on the infernets, and yet be so nice and polite face to face.

albertq17 likes this.