1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Are there any flavors that you appreciate more because of beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DSlim71, Dec 27, 2012.

1. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I was drinking a Flanders Oud Bruin last night and really enjoyed the cherry flavor I was getting from the beer. It's funny because I don't like cherries by themelves all that much. The same thing goes for a few other styles like coffee stouts. I'm not really a big coffee drinker, but love the flavor when combined with the components of a stout. So this leads to my question, are there any flavors or foods you enjoy more because of beer?
  2. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I used to hate cat piss but now I drink it like a fish. I eat the shit out of some horse blankets these days too.
  3. White Grapefruit for sure
    DevilsCups likes this.
  4. Doppelbocks turned me on to figs, dates, etc. Fig newtons have become one of my favorite types of cookies, especially to eat while drinking something dark and malty.
  5. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Bud Light flavor makes me appreciate real beers. PBR reminds me that I dislike sweatsocks.
  6. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Advocate (645) Maine Sep 11, 2010

Most certainly weasel poop coffee
  7. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

Not a flavor or food, but a scent. My wife uses this grapefruit facial scrub in the morning and every time I go in the bathroom after her and smell that, it makes my mouth water for a nice, floral IPA.
    paulytasker, luwak and DevilsCups like this.
  8. Whiskey and bourbon. Now i can actually drink it straighy and taste the flavor profiles rather then just a strong burn
  9. Oak.
    After enough OA'd imperial stouts, I now pick it up in wine where I'd never noticed it before.
    je1129, luwak and DevilsCups like this.
  10. Whiskey, Bourbon and Coffee.. and cat piss.
    DSlim71 and DevilsCups like this.
  11. I'm the same way - I couldn't stand even the smell of whiskey or bourbon a few years ago. Now with the popularity of BBL beers, I've turned into a big bourbon and scotch drinker...much to my wallet's chagrin.
    Holmes698 likes this.
  12. Since I started reviewing beers, I now appreciate the subtle flavors in most good food and drinks. I also have a greater appreciation for good wine and scotch now too.
  13. It's definitely given me an appreciation for bitterness, particularly bitter greens. I used to hate bitter salads, but after finding IPA's, I could put back a whole plate of radicchio and love it.
    luwak and Avangion like this.
  14. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

farm stink, cat piss, hay, cucumber, peach, wood (learned from wine but now notice it much more), pear, sage,
    And of course varying degrees of sourness/acidity in general

And i also now really love carbonated/sparkling waters. after years of noticing the different effects of varying levels of carbonation from a a lambic busting out of the bottle to a old strong ale so flat and still that it looks like milk, i really feel like different strength carbonated waters and flavored waters vary considerably.
    In fact i like it so much i bought a water carbonating machine and i make sparking water every day
    (often it replaces beer when i can't/don't want alcohol or lots of calories too)
    DSlim71 likes this.
  15. Licorice. I was never a big fan of licorice but I do love the flavor now especially when it is mixed with the typical stoout flavors
    luwak likes this.
  16. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

I second bitterness in general as something I've grown to appreciate with a nod also to carbonation. I think it wasn't just beer but also green tea and a brief fascination with Yerba Mate. Double IPAs really sold me on it in the end. I've gotten to the point where I tell people I enjoy foods that taste like dirt, grass, and rotten fish. Yum. Come be like me.
    luwak likes this.
  17. Mango and Papaya for sure also Toffee
    luwak likes this.
  18. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Coffee
    TicoCali likes this.
  19. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (515) California Sep 13, 2009

Not that I appreciate flavors more because of beer but I've carried over my love of coffee and brown sugar to my beer drinking. I drink mostly darker beers, imperial stouts and Belgiam Darks. I'm just as big of a coffee geek as I am a beer geek...
  20. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I was the opposite, I used to hate coffee. Now some of my favorite beers are coffee forward.
    TechTriumph and DSlim71 like this.
  21. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

I've always hated coffee, but I love the coffee beers. My wife thinks that if I try black coffee I'll like it, but I really don't need another vice in my life.
  22. Horse Blanket/Compost/Manure!
    luwak likes this.
  23. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

24. I have found I dislike vinegar a lot more than I did before trying some sours. Maybe that should be another thread. Sorry.
  25. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Bourbon, hazelnut coffee
  26. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

All of them!
  27. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

Vanilla. Crazy about all things with real vanilla bean flavor, and it was beer that started me on that kick.

And sour things in general--I was never one of those kids who loved eating warheads or whatever but sour beer made me realize how much I like sour stuff in general.
  28. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Because of beer, i feel i can now move on to tasting wine and drinking bourbon without vomiting. ;)
  29. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

wet hay, sweaty feet, horse blankets, vinegar, diapers and overripe fruits
  30. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

No. I definitely like grapefruit a lot less.