1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Are there any styles you find yourself having a hard time appreciating?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 3, 2013.

1. I personally have a very hard time with Braggots, Stouts with too much viscosity, stouts with too much molasses, overly hopped beers that are beyond bitter to the point where no other flavor cones through, and anything brewed with coffee ( being a coffee lover in real life i can only drink fresh coffee, if coffee sits in anything too long I find the flavors to have gone stale).

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  2. Yea, Light American Lagers. Just can't seem to get into them! ;-)

3. I sometimes wonder if they are actually beer.

4. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

Braggots (ive only had the two brothers one), imperial pils, and wheat beers i just cant get into them

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I just can't get into water. So tasteless and doesn't even have a nose.

brandori666, jgluck, Gannon81 and 8 others like this.
  6. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Belgian dubbels, tripels, quads. Also, ESBs.

7. American wheat I could do without as we'll as most spiced beers especially pumpkins.

charlzm, Hotmetal1 and GaryGreen like this.
  8. Yeah i am not the biggest fan of ESB's either. They taste ok, but worse hangover ever after like 2 :(.

9. Barleywines. I have even got some good ones, but just has a certain taste that Im not in love with.

lilredrocket and GeddyLeeRocks like this.
  10. vurt

vurt Advocate (530) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Tripels. I just don't enjoy the flavor profile. (That said, I do like Allagash Curieux, but that's hardly a standard tripel.)

ColonelForbin87 likes this.
  11. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Belgian dubbels and trippels... If its not an IPA then what's the point?

Bitter_Echo and powpig2002 like this.
  12. American Pale Wheats, a lot of American Pale ales, and many a Black IPA.

mwar and charlzm like this.
  13. adamette

adamette Advocate (560) Ohio Aug 23, 2007

English Dark Mild and any of the other varieties of "Milds."
    Also: American Adjunct Lager

ballenc and sacrelicio like this.
  14. Sours.....I just don't get it

Guy-T, Mattco, charlzm and 9 others like this.
  15. adamette

Funny, for the first few years of my exploration into the craft beer world, I thought almost completely the opposite. I immediately loved Belgian Dubbels and Tripels and could not see why anyone would want to drink IPAs. My favorites remain the Belgians but great IPAs like Bells Hopslam, Stone Levitation Ale and Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale allowed me to appreciate the style more. Cheers!

16. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Smoked beers......I just can't do them.

jpeck13, Arodnum1, JimDH and 15 others like this.
  17. bifrost17

Do your wallet a favor.....don't try to understand them. I wish they didn't make sense to me sometimes.

JG-90, dumpstation, jbaker67 and 7 others like this.
  18. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Doppelbocks. I feel like there's a lot there, but it's just not to my taste.

BrettD, Chaney and luwak like this.
  19. adamette

I second this. Starting with Sierra Nevada Big Foot and extending really into every Barleywine that I have had (although I vaguely recall one from Smuttynose that may have been enjoyable) I find that Barleywines are really too much. They are like "everything turned up to 11" in terms of malt, hops and I find them overall too bitter.

20. I swear its some sort of inside joke....I've tried some sours that are rated fairly high....just find the tartness an undesirable thing in beer...

rhartogsq likes this.
  21. bifrost17

Just drink what you like man. No need to follow the herd and drink highly rated beers just because the rest of us say so. Maybe one day you'll appreciate sours, but for now just be happy that you don't spend dumb amounts of money on sours like I do....hahaha

bmf0523 and Jimjohson like this.
  22. Not quite a style, per say- but I am quickly tiring of shortcut beers claiming to be authentic versions of classic styles. Here's what I mean...

I'm tiring of the American attempts at Belgian styles that are done so in a half-hearted way. Trust me, I absolutely adore authentic Belgian ales with their high effervescence, dry fruit-spice interplay, and rustic "old world" charm. But I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the abundance of American-styled Belgian ales that are too sweet, creamy (rather than sprizy-dry), timid spice, shy fruit flavors that seem more artificial than yeast derived; and overly simplified and not exhibiting the rusticity that sets authentic Belgian beers apart.... I've started calling American made versions as "Belgian ales on training wheels".

I've gotten to the point where I'd rather distinguish authentic Belgian-brewed ales from those that are merely "inspired" by Belgian technique (sans those American brewers who have dedicated Belgian ale programs such as Allagash and Russian River, to name a few...). I'd rather begin naming these ales in similar fashion as the credit given to Kolsch, where there's actual "Kolsch" vs. "Kolsch-style" beers made outside the region. Maybe we should call out "Belgian ales" vs. "Belgian-style" ales to our domestic inferior versions.

I think we can also do the same for German Hefeweizens vs. American wheats, German Oktoberfests vs. American versions, and Scottish ales vs. ours as well, again... to name a few. Yea, I just can't get into these either.

23. I'm with you on some of these. Anything with discernable honey in it is revolting to me, so braggots are out (Hopslam in some years, too). Exceedingly few coffee beers have rated well with me (sorry, CBS/KBS/FBS). And I have had very few pilsners that didn't disgust me.

That said, I am always willing to challenge my biases, so I am occasionally rewarded with something great, like Schell's Fresh Hop Citra Pils.

24. Ambers. I have yet to try an amber that had enough flavor to knock me off of my feet. I think that just might be the point of the style though.

StoutChaser7D likes this.
  25. If it's not from Belgium i refer to it as Belgian style. The rare exceptions being Unibroque and Ommegang which actually have deep Belgian roots.

26. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Light stuff like Bier de Garde mostly. Also wits and hefeweizens. I just don't dig the clove/banana character at all.

27. Belgian IPAs, Wheats, Hefs, and the whole Jalapeno Pepper infused phenom. It's gross.

28. slander

slander Site Editor (590) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

Nearly everything bourboned...

29. I thought the same until I tried Cuvée Des Jonquilles.

uturn and notchucknorris like this.
  30. beernads

beernads Advocate (520) Florida May 4, 2012

Not a fan of Rauchbiers. Drinking an ashtray is not for me.

31. I used to enjoy them, but now, I cannot stand pumpkin ales. They are almost as intolerable as eating lutefisk.

Mediczod, ballenc and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  32. Nope

jgluck and beastmammoth like this.
  33. Wheat beers and smoked stuff.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  34. Not really. I take them for what they are.

35. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Rauchbiers. Give me bacon instead.

36. Messed about beers. When perfectly good beers have things added to them-fruit , coffee, vanilla , whatever.
    I agree with the poster above , I love coffee and only drink the stuff from freshly ground beans (and am a bit picky about which beans!) but the last thing I want it in is beer. Same with single malt Scotch, my mother in law thinks she's doing me a favour putting it in my coffee.It spoils both.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  37. Nope. Love it all. And I love the spirit of invention which has spiced things up and blurred the lines between beer styles. Barrels, ingredients you name it.

38. GaryGreen

GaryGreen Aspirant (25) Indonesia Jan 3, 2013

Absolutely What I Think.

39. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

I usually don't do IPA's, DIPA's and Sours. If offered one though, I will certainly try it. I just don't purchase them for myself.

dianimal likes this.
  40. As beer styles are an artificial division this isn't difficult .........Everything under the sun has been put in beer at some time or other. Some, like fruit, has a local reason for its use.I draw the line at dead dogs though.

Dennoman likes this.