1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Are there any styles you find yourself having a hard time appreciating?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 3, 2013.

1. IPAs of any type...

Yeah, I'm THAT guy.

2. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Sours for sure and I don't see that ever changing.
    High ABV barrel aged beers and that could possibly change.

3. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

English Barleywine, Black IPA, Old Ale, Scotch Ale and Cream Ale.

I also don't see myself ever getting into Rauchbiers. Even though I've only had one, which wasn't bad, I can't picture it being something I'd really want to drink much of.

4. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I think I've pretty much ticked all the boxes over the past two years. Every time I thought there was a style I hated, I had my beer buddies intervene and let me try something that blew my mind.

I had serious reservations towards bocks, but have since tried so many good ones that I've learned to accept the fact that it's not because a beer/brewer is crap, that you should reject the style in its entirety.

I honestly can't think of a single style now where I haven't at least tried one amazing example of. Then again: if I have to name something: most pilsners I've liked have been so heavily hopped they were heading more towards the IPA side of the flavor spectrum. Then again, a friend of mine says he has an authentic Czech pilsner for me that's supposed to be amazing. I'll do as I always do: keep an open mind and dive in for the ride!

5. I haven't been able to get into Gruits. They just seem to taste like cough syrup to me. That being said, I have found that any style done well can be very good, so maybe I just need to find a great Gruit.

6. I'm happy to take them for proper disposal.

jhartley likes this.
  7. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Nope. I mean I won't ever seek a Euro Lager, but I can easily neck one back.

I cringe when people make introductory recommendations to a style, as if drinking a beer is some sort of challenge. Beer is delicious and I haven't met one yet that was a chore.

8. Smoked beers, sours and stouts with adjunts like coffee and chocolate.

9. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Pumpkin ales, milk stouts, "American blonde ales", had plenty of these and fine I just dont get excited for them for numerous reasons.

10. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Sours. But I haven't given up.
    I have a few at home that I will give another go before I completely throw in the towel.

11. taxman

taxman Savant (265) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Light beer. Oh wait, someone already said water!

doppletheGOAT likes this.
  12. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (495) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Kolsch and chili beers. I've only had a few of each, but they were hard to choke down.

13. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

Wheatwine. Maybe White Chocolate will be good.

Chaney likes this.
  14. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

Not a big fan of most rye's, I have had a few enjoyable ones, but on the whole I just can't get into them.

Altbier, never had one that I enjoyed. Just can't stand the style and have completely given up on even trying them.

15. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

I had a sweet stout once.

Once.

16. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

For some reason I really can't get into standard brown ales, (English or American) amber ales, and most porters. They bore me. I've found a few porters (Especially baltic and stonger American versions) that are pretty awesome, but the others bore me to death. I'd take a hoppy american pale ale any day over the other styles.

17. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I used to think the same thing... but today I love those styles. It took a lot of trying and buying, but now I'm a big fan of ipas and sours. (Not all of them) There are still plenty of sours out there that I'm not crazy about, but others, like Oro de Calabaza from Jolly pumpkin are outstanding, and fairly approachable to get into. I'd highly recommend that one for starters, as well as a few of brett type saisons like Sofie from Goose Island or Rayon vert from Green flash.

18. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

BIPA's; what a silly style.

harrymel and yamar68 like this.
  19. Lagers and sours... I dont drink a lot of either just dont care for the styles.

20. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Porter. i just seem to be missing some understanding. Haven't tried sours yet.

21. Wheats/Wits, Tripels, and Belgian Golden/Pale Ales. Too much banana.

22. I generally pass on barleywines, they don't do much for me

23. Not a big hef guy.

jhartley likes this.
  24. I haven't been able to enjoy saisons. Also, most "Belgian _____'s" haven't made me go "ahhhhhh" the same way a good IPA, stout, or PA does. The sweet, musty funk kind of turns me off. But I'm still open to trying them for sure. Also, white IPA. I actually really enjoy black IPAs so far, or "Cascadian Dark Ale" if you prefer.

25. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Hefs, super-sours, and some of the belgians (particularly yeasty goldens, pales, and doubles). And all the really light ones.

26. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Anything that has a lemonaid taste in it, like Porch Rocker or All Day IPA.

27. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Sours and smoked beers. Especially sours. I don't understand the desire to drink a spoiled beer.

28. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Matured, is what I believe you meant.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  29. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Advocate (540) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

Farmhouse ales and Saisons.

I think the only one I would ever buy again is Zes Zes Zes by FFF.

cyraschris likes this.
  30. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Wheat based fruit beer, please kill it!!!

WassailWilly likes this.
  31. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Sours, smoked, some Belgians.

32. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

IPAs, DIPAs, Imperial IPAs ... basically anything with the letters I, P and A in that order. I take a sniff and appreciate the nice aromas. Nice enough to wear behind your ears actually. But the taste?... No, I don't taste any mango, papaya, and all those other exotic flavors others claim they pick up. All I taste is a one dimensional "bitter". Once in a rare while "bitter" is ok with me, but not very often. When bad things happen, it's said they leave a bitter taste in your mouth. That's for a reason.

33. I think a lot of the reviews that say they taste those flavors are fucking liars and they should feel bad.

weonfire and JBogan like this.
  34. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

wits, hefes, smoked/rauch, kolchs and non-sour fruit ales

35. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

I'll keep an eye out for those. I haven't written off any of those styles off completely. I just haven't found one that really grabbed me. I'll add those recommendations to the list!

36. Smoked beers taste like beef jerky. Nearly all of them, unless it's mild.

Most wheat beers just bore me.

37. Brown Ales, Lambics, Scotch Ales, Marzens, Irish Red.

38. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Gose, rauchbier, sahti and kvass.

39. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I think you maybe just wish that you could taste those flavors.

Azzy, superspak, BierGartenok and 5 others like this.
  40. I won't typically turn down any style. I keep trying hefes but I just can't get past that banana/clove combination.